Fee...

SquadLeader

Gold Member
So, the band I'm in have been asked if we'd like to play at one of the UK's largest free festivals in 2015.

The organisers have stated to us the following:

"We would love to have you guys but obviously it comes down to cost. So what would it cost us to have you guys come play our festival".

So what's a fair amount to respond with? We'd be travelling some 400 miles round trip to get there. We are NOT greedy. But nor do we want to come across as complete mugs. We do this for fun. We'd be happy to have a night or two away and play some music to new people. Is it reasonable to expect the festival to cover all our costs (fuel and accommodation) ??

Opinions sought, and welcomed. We normally play nearer to home, and normally for modest amounts.

Absolutely do not go out of pocket to play. Come up with a number that you feel will cover a hard expense like fuel. They should already feed you and provide a place to stay if you are playing more than one day.

As for getting more than that for yourselves, that's your choice. Don't consider the festival as exposure or an opportunity to sell merch, it should be for fun, and maybe looks good on a resume to attract other paying gigs. But if you're inclined to ask, I'd get $100/member just to demonstrate some sense of worth.

Good luck, have fun!

Bermuda

JMO, I'd ask if they had a number in mind they would feel comfortable paying each band. Let them state the first number. If it is way low, then negotiate.

Thanks for all your advice on this guys.

Our singer is going into negotiation with the festival organisers.

Which, going from the history of bands I'm in paying any attention to advice from myself, will quite possibly end with us paying THEM for the pleasure of playing there :)

You need to go into these negotiations the same way you would prepare for a tour. As a band you should sit down and itemize everything. Gas, food, lodging, vehicle wear and tear, equipment wear and tear, per diem, tolls, anything you can think of. Trust me, it all adds up. Are you bringing a tech/driver/roadie? How much does he want? New string. sticks, heads, picks?

If you are selling merch make sure that you know up front how much of the cut the venue wants. Get it in the contract.

These are a few things I can think of. There are a million more. I will tell you that Shadows Fall asked for a $1500 advance for a festival. Jasta got $3000 last year so keep those numbers in mind.

Hey thanks everyone.

I briefed the chief negotiator (our singer/manager) on pretty much all the advice directly given here.

We've been given a figure which easily covers all our expenses and a little more beside.

Main stage to :)

Wired....

Thanks again and happy holidays again.

Back