Music University/College?

Rex068

Alright... I'll try to make it short so that you guys don't get bored...
So, I'm new to this forum, but I've been playing the drums for 4.5 years (kinda short I know) and I'm 17 years old (yes, I'm a teenager, young and foolish.) It's gotten to that point in my life where I have to think about further education, and well, I realized that I was happy playing the drums and doing things related to music, so I decided I wanted to go to a music university/college. I was really thinking about Juilliard, Berklee, Oberlin or Manhatten. But since I live in Canada, I also heard that McGill has a great music program as well. I was wondering if you all had any thoughts or advice, or maybe you would recommend some other university/college.

Also, one question, as I was browsing through these universities/colleges, I noticed that a lot of these jazz ensembles played primarily just jazz. But in high schools, even jazz bands don't play just jazz, they different genres, like big bands. So, I wanna know, is it just jazz in universities? Or do these ensembles also allow you to play different genres of music, like what big bands do?

Yes I know I write a lot...

Good questions. I think you can rest assured that in a music school, you will be exposed to other musics in addition to just 'jazz'.

However, I encourage you to look at your quest from the other side. It's traditionally the point of getting a higher education to be able to gain some kind of employment to show for your financial commitment to this endeavor. What is your plan after you've finished school? Are you trying to be a music teacher? Or do you want to be a music player for a living?

If you are going to be a teacher, I suggest speaking with other music teachers locally to see what they did to gain the positions they have. If you want to be a player, talk with the pros you know and find out what they did to be able to constantly gig to make ends meet. You may be surprised what you find out - and you should find out before you commit to a 120,000+ student loan bill. Good luck!

Also consider the difference between a conservatory and a university with an arts and science music department/program. My friend at Berkley is taking WAY more music classes than I am, but since my degree is a Bachelors in the Arts of music (at TU) - i get the advantage of getting a well-rounded education of a liberal arts university including classes in chemistry, political science, gender studies, english, philosophy, etc.
That dosen't mean I didn't have to take music theory I - IV, ear training I - IV, music History I, II and III - film scoring, audio engineering, and ensembles up the wazzoo.

Speaking of ensembles - I think at a conservatory you will be exposed to a wider range of music like jazz, funk, fusion, avant-garde, improv, rock - where as at a university you will have more ensembles like Marching Band, wind ensemble, symphonic wind ensemble, orchestra, vocal chamber, jazz big band, jazz combo, jazz vocal trio, etc.
This is just going off comparing myself to my buddy at Berkley in boston - both schools have their pros and cons!!

Thanks for the advice. But, I was wondering if there were any thoughts or advice for actually auditioning or getting in the university. (Right now I'm considering Eastman, Oberlin or Berklee) 'cause that's what I'm worried most about. Like, do I need to start practicing specific techniques or what are the judges looking for? Oh and yes, I know that obviously grades count too, I hope the universities will consider the fact that I'm in IB and that the courses are challenging.

You can search youtube for Berklee tryout info. I've seen a couple of vids where guys describe what they were asked to play and give an example of what they played...seemed pretty thorough.

Back