Frank Briggs here!

Hi Frank,

Suggestions would be teaching rudiments around the kit, how to time them with a metronome for practice, etc. Anything from " stick control " applied to the kit would be kool. I know there's already ways of playing the stickings around the kit using stick control, but a new fresh aproach would be nice. Royal Hartigan has a rudiments around the kit book out, but it looks very advanced.

Thanks M8

http://www.emueducacionmusical.com.ar/bateria_2009//seminario_bateria.html

I will be preforming and teaching at the Drummer Intensive Days in Argentina!

4 days of master classes and a concert at the EMU music school.

A concert in Buenos Aires and a concert clinic in Mendoza Argentina.

I am looking forward to this very much. I will be performing songs from China Ranch and demonstrating concepts from my book/DVD Complete Modern Drumset, The Good Foot and more.

"The new EMU facilities are located in Diagonal 73 (between 46 and 47) Number 2160, La Plata, Buenos Aires (Argentina).

The building has new classrooms, more musical ensemble rooms, and a recording studio designed by WSDG.

In March they will organize the "Drummers Intensive Day in EMU", with the participation of Phil Maturano, Pete Lockett and Frank Briggs"

More information at
http://www.emueducacionmusical.com.ar

I hope to meet some of my Argentinan friends in person...!!

See you there.

Afiche bateriasmail.jpg

AFICHE ND Drumermail.jpg

Last edited:
If you are able to attend The Drummers Intensive (see below) please contact me at email @ frankbriggs.com

looking forward
-fb

TDI sounds very exciting Frank.....
I'm sure you and Phil will be very informative and a great inspiration to the students....

TDI sounds very exciting Frank.....
I'm sure you and Phil will be very informative and a great inspiration to the students....

Thanks Linear Dude!
Here are a few videos of the event. Phil plays amazing and is a great teaher. Pete Lockett is ridiculous.. awesome.
Gustavo and Jota Morreli where great also. I had a blast and learned a lot. The EMU school is a great facility with wonderful teachers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7HzfMIp9co

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsSgfkWz7uw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEslEsYkLgo

Hi Frank,

I noticed recently on your website that you studied with Jack DeJohnette. Do you mind telling us what sort of material you studied with him ? Like what did he make you practice etc ?

PS, What model kit are you playing on the Complete Modern Drumset Excerpt's ???

Regards Gretsch'em

Hi Frank,

I noticed recently on your website that you studied with Jack DeJohnette. Do you mind telling us what sort of material you studied with him ? Like what did he make you practice etc ?

PS, What model kit are you playing on the Complete Modern Drumset Excerpt's ???

Regards Gretsch'em

Jack didn't request that I practice anything. Some of the main things were.. grip, how tightly you hold the stick, time.. internalizing time as opposed to keeping time with your hi hat. .. and playing tunes etc.

The kit I used on the CMD video is a Noble & Cooley Star Series kit. They don't make them anymore. DW has introduced a similar shell on some current "old school" inspired drum sets.. I don't know what they are called.

I hope that helps a little.
Thanks for asking.
All the best
Frank

...internalizing time as opposed to keeping time with your hi hat. ..

Hi Frank,
Firstly, it's great to see you here! Could you elaborate on Jack's advice and your advice from your own experiences on strengthening and internalizing your time with and without external devices i.e. metronome or drum machine.

Thanks so much

Clint

Hi Frank,
Firstly, it's great to see you here! Could you elaborate on Jack's advice and your advice from your own experiences on strengthening and internalizing your time with and without external devices i.e. metronome or drum machine.

Thanks so much

Clint

Hey Clint,
Let me think about that answer. In the meantime.
Check out my new Webcast. Maybe I will make the answer to your question into a podcast.

http://www.frankbriggs.com/webcast/webcast/welcome/welcome.html

Please Subscribe if you are interested. I plan on delivering lessons, play along songs and other stuff via this Webcast...I would appreciate your spreading the word if possible.

There currently is a 4 part interview up with audio files.
check it out when you have time and let me know what you think.
I hope all is well with you.
All the best
Frank

Great podcasts Frank! There is "production value" in hearing you talk about, not only your wonderful album, but composing, your influences and playing in general. I'm going to subscribe immediately. Thanks for your consideration to my question.

Clint

Great podcasts Frank! There is "production value" in hearing you talk about, not only your wonderful album, but composing, your influences and playing in general. I'm going to subscribe immediately. Thanks for your consideration to my question.

Clint

Thanks Clint,
Spread the word. I would like to use the webcast as my main broadcasting and info tool.

Your question is deep and has many viable answers.
I am always working on my time. As Jeff Porcaro once said "Time is a bitch".

I practice time with tracks and clicks. I also practice without and listen back to see if it feels good.

When you bring in other players the whole game changes, sometimes it gets easier and sometimes harder depending on who you are playing with and how well you gel. I "need" a bass player with good time or the whole playing experience becomes just work.

Try vocalizing different subdivisions either out loud or in your head while you are playing a groove. This will help a lot. It will also help with any tendencies to rush a fill... at least it helps me.

Stay in touch Clint.
All the best
Frank

Thanks for the response Frank. For the most part I do the things you describe in your post. I make it a practice to sing the quarter note when practicing. Tough stuff for sure. It's somewhat comforting to hear Jeff was as "human" as the rest of us. I just want to get to the point where I don't have to think about it at all and just feel it in the moment. Whenever I record myself I always hear a fluctuation that's bigger than acceptable for me.

Thanks again for your response. I will get the word out and will be looking and listening for more great playing from you.

Take care,
Clint

Frank,

I see you have a new project....looks killer!
Are you playing without a bassist....if so do you approach things differently?

Frank,

I see you have a new project....looks killer!
Are you playing without a bassist....if so do you approach things differently?

a little.. there is no interaction when it's a bass loop. When Kit plays bass it is a little different. I am playing with a click so the challenge is to make the human/machine hybrid band swing. So far so good. I really dig the guys I am playing with also and we may add a bass player at some point. We are making the first album as a trio.

Thanks for asking
peace
-fb

Back