Mapex Raptor vs. Gibraltar Intruder

MrKodySka

Both are direct drive double bass pedals which I am looking for, and both are in my price range. Anyone have any experience with these double bass pedals? Durability, Playability , Pros and Cons of each? Thanks.

Re: Mapex Raptor VS. Gibralrtar Intruder

I would steer well clear of the Raptor. My friend had one and returned it the next day as he broke it after only a short while. The problem is with the single support for the main axle of the right side beater. Most pedals have two supports, and the pedals that do have only one (Demon Drive, some DW's) are built a lot tougher and with a much better design. I think the music stores here even stopped selling them after my friend broke his. I haven't tried the DD Intruder, but I've seen a chain drive one that didn't take much punishment before giving out. This model would be at a guess, three years old, so it may have been updated by now.

I currently use the Gibralter Intruder pedal on my off-broadway show. They are very nice pedals. Fast, responsive and solid. I originally purchased these pedals after playing Gibralters liqui-drive hi hat stand and falling madly in love with the response of it. The intruder Direct drive is as solid as any other pedal I have used in the past. However, if you think you are going to get the smooth ultra quick response of an Axis or Trick pedal you will be disappointed. Theses pedals feel closer to the big chain drive pedals out now...i.e. iron cobra or DW 9000.

As fas as duribility is concerned, I have been playing these pedals relentlessly since July and 8 shows a week for the past few months and they have been holding up perfectly. Granted, I am not the heaviest of hitters and I'm not exactly playing thrash metal with them...but for the price, the intruders cant be beat.

The problem is with the single support .....

Single support ? ............................................................... 20​

Attachments

• 9611DDDB.jpg
    9611DDDB.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,657
  • raptor.jpg
    raptor.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,265

While doing a google image search I found a thread I'd posted it in before - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79690

attachment.php

The bearing housing on the Raptor is small and consists of two pieces bolted together. That's the piece that gave out. The DD's is much bigger and is a single cast piece.

The bearing housing on the Raptor is small and consists of two pieces bolted together. That's the piece that gave out. The DD's is much bigger and is a single cast piece.
Thanx for that, Kettles. The Mapex pictures never angle the pedal to show that .... poor design. So much for truth in advertising.​
Yeah, I'd pass on the Mapex then .... the Intruder wins .... simply by design.​

LES ISMORE...the Liquid-Drive is the sweetest hi hat stand I've ever played!!

How exactly did the bearing housing break? Isn't the bearing housing held within those two posts that are screwed together? I've seen designs like the Pearl Eliminator, where the bearing holder is inside the post... A similar case here, it just looks like it's mounted between those two screws.

Any photographs to show what damage was done? I've seen information about the Raptor pedal (I'm assuming it is this exact one) coming apart and it would be good to look at what happened.

I don't see how having the posts screwed together would effect anything, I just don't see where something could go mechanically wrong from a design perspective. I have seen damaged pedals and often wonder what exactly happened.

I'll admit, I have a selfish motive! :p Was interested in these pedals, have seen a few demos on the internet, they seem really smooth and the price is the clincher. Haven't seen any pictures of a damaged unit though, would be good to have closure, lol :D

- Jimmy Rage

Last edited:

I've played on Iron Cobras for decades. I tried to get into a direct drive pedal again, but couldn't seem to find one I liked. The Pearl Demon Drive's, and Axis longboards seemed to have awesome action, but I was a little worried about maintenance/upkeep/durability, so I went with the new(er) Speed Cobras.

I can't imagine playing (relying on) anything else. Each set of Iron Cobras lasts over 10 years with ZERO maintenance (I'm lazy, and don't want to deal with it). My son and nephew seem to inherit my older Iron Cobras as I get new ones. My first set (about 20 years old), is still connected to a drum. And I beat the hell out of my drums (have bent/cracked multiple beaters from other brands - have broken one Iron Cobra beater after 15 years).

Anyway, as far as action, there are a lot of good products for selection. When it comes to durability/maintenance, this selection narrows, depending on your habits.

If you are relegated to only these two, I'd recommend the Gibraltar Intruder.

Let us know what you decide on!

How exactly did the bearing housing break? Isn't the bearing housing held within those two posts that are screwed together? I've seen designs like the Pearl Eliminator, where the bearing holder is inside the post... A similar case here, it just looks like it's mounted between those two screws.

Any photographs to show what damage was done? I've seen information about the Raptor pedal (I'm assuming it is this exact one) coming apart and it would be good to look at what happened.

I don't see how having the posts screwed together would effect anything, I just don't see where something could go mechanically wrong from a design perspective. I have seen damaged pedals and often wonder what exactly happened.

I'll admit, I have a selfish motive! :p Was interested in these pedals, have seen a few demos on the internet, they seem really smooth and the price is the clincher. Haven't seen any pictures of a damaged unit though, would be good to have closure, lol :D

- Jimmy Rage

No photo sorry. When the beater flies toward the head, the axle (which the beater/cam is mounted on) is doing a spinning motion, which is fine. But when the beater contacts the head, the axle can no longer spin so that force (from your leg) now becomes downward pressure on the axle, so it is bending the axle against the bearing (which is fixed and can't move). If you compare the Raptor to a Demon Drive, the housing on the raptor is short and screwed together, whereas the DD is much longer and is all one piece of solid metal.

That's my theory of what happened anyway. If you have ever taken apart skateboard/rollerskate wheels and had to use a screwdriver to lever the bearing out of the wheel, it's just like that

I don't if housing is the correct term, I'm just referring to the part of the pedal which holds the bearing.

I own 2 sets of raptor pedals and love them. One set is for practice and the other is for live shows. I haven't experienced any problems whatsoever with them. I believe it's certainly a personal decision as to which pedals to use. I spent twice the money on a set of speed cobras and, while the longboard was awesome, pieces randomly started to loosen up and fall out/apart. I returned them less than a week later...

I own 2 sets of raptor pedals and love them. One set is for practice and the other is for live shows. I haven't experienced any problems whatsoever with them. I believe it's certainly a personal decision as to which pedals to use. I spent twice the money on a set of speed cobras and, while the longboard was awesome, pieces randomly started to loosen up and fall out/apart. I returned them less than a week later...

I experience this with a lot of new metal parts (including cars). Settling occurs. Sometimes a one time torque after being worked in is all that is necessary.

Also with cymbal stands, etc...

I have two sets of Speed Cobras - on one set that I set up and break down often, this never happened. On the other (that stays home), I've found 3 lose bolts - 1 that holds a beater in place, one that holds the cam, and another (I forget). Since I tightened each one, I have not experienced that again. I blame myself for not tightening all the bolts upon receipt. I don't necessarily feel that they are inferior (or weak) products.

Last edited:

I experience this with a lot of new metal parts (including cars). Settling occurs. Sometimes a one time torque after being worked in is all that is necessary.

Also with cymbal stands, etc...

Yeah, you're right, but it occurred more than once... To me, for $430, if its not gold plated or diamond encrusted, it better function perfectly.

No photo sorry. When the beater flies toward the head, the axle (which the beater/cam is mounted on) is doing a spinning motion, which is fine. But when the beater contacts the head, the axle can no longer spin so that force (from your leg) now becomes downward pressure on the axle, so it is bending the axle against the bearing (which is fixed and can't move). If you compare the Raptor to a Demon Drive, the housing on the raptor is short and screwed together, whereas the DD is much longer and is all one piece of solid metal.

Sounds like a super-heavy foot action, can't imagine how much pressure it would take to do something like that. I'd suspect my drumhead would tear first if I put pressure after the beater made contact.

- Reggae Mangle

Sounds like a super-heavy foot action, can't imagine how much pressure it would take to do something like that. I'd suspect my drumhead would tear first if I put pressure after the beater made contact.

- Reggae Mangle

It may. I play pretty heavy footed (light when playing over 200bpm, heavy for anything under - I'm pretty difficult to set mic levels, so triggers help).

But - if you use one of those kick pads over the beater surface, those things go first. Some are better than others (depending on style, beater, etc...).

If this is an issue, you'll most likely start to see dimple form where the beater hits. This would be an indicator to purchase a reinforcing pad.

Ah, yes, a kick pad might be different. I still can't imagine myself doing something like that though. Maybe it was a defective piece. Someone (not me) has to do a video and demonstrate this!

- Reggae Mangle

I bought these pedals.. they feel pretty darn good. However.. I too experienced the main pedal shaft problem.. I'm just waiting for it to completely break on me. Then I'm prolly just goin back to chain drive. Not sure which one yet tho...

klett, post some pictures please. How long have you owned the pedals?

- Reggae Mangle

Back