Pearl Masters Bass drums - dark green colour?

BFrench501

Hi does anyone in the know, know if Pearl still make bass drums in a really dark green colour (wood finish) and if so, how much they cost? A 2nd hand shop has 8", 10", 12" and 14" rack toms for sale for £240 and if I could get a bass drum the same type of colour I would snap them up!

If the BD is going to cost something like £650 to make though then forget it I'll just stick with my Mapex kit :)

Cheers
Baz

No idea but I'll try help. Is it this finish?

Masters%20kit%20close.jpg

Looks like a pretty old drum if so. You could use an export bass drum, they came in the same kinda green lacquer.

No idea but I'll try help. Is it this finish?

Masters%20kit%20close.jpg

Looks like a pretty old drum if so. You could use an export bass drum, they came in the same kinda green lacquer.

That is the exact one, same badge and everything! Awesome find well played!

I did see an export BD in similar colour on Ebay for £70 but tbh I want something which I can have which is a complete set. It's no good having these beautiful sounding toms then an inferior bass drum. Then again...old Exports sound great compared to newer ones, maybe I missed the boat!

That is the exact one, same badge and everything! Awesome find well played!

I did see an export BD in similar colour on Ebay for £70 but tbh I want something which I can have which is a complete set. It's no good having these beautiful sounding toms then an inferior bass drum. Then again...old Exports sound great compared to newer ones, maybe I missed the boat!

Maybe it's because I muffle my bass drums but I can't hear much difference between my expensive bass drums and my cheap ones.

There are huge differences between a pearl export and a maple pearl masters bass drum. But these differences become less pronounced as you move to thicker or pre-damped heads or stuff with pillows/ duvet / fluffy toy/ foam pad / nappies/ newspaper/ ladies undies/ grandad pants/ winter coat/ sleeping bag the list goes on.

Oh yes and green coloured bass drum can't possibly get the lows of a red one

There are huge differences between a pearl export and a maple pearl masters bass drum. But these differences become less pronounced as you move to thicker or pre-damped heads or stuff with pillows/ duvet / fluffy toy/ foam pad / nappies/ newspaper/ ladies undies/ grandad pants/ winter coat/ sleeping bag the list goes on.

Oh yes and green coloured bass drum can't possibly get the lows of a red one

Haha its only because I was concerned about the aesthetics and selling value if I didn't get on with the kit. And gigging wise it looks silly to have a red kick drum etc :)

Maybe I could cover the kit in a material of my choosing or get it refinished...

If the BD is going to cost something like £650 to make though then forget it I'll just stick with my Mapex kit :)

Cheers
Baz

Yes.. they still offer it on special order. #126 , Emerald Mist.

Don't know if you could get it for that price though.

Maybe not a solution that will work for you but...

If you take a look at any of the "clear laquer" finishes they actually look pretty close. I have Tama "transparent black" Birch Starclassics and I've seen other companies with similar offerings and it would be hard to tell a difference from mine. Same thing with my Rockstar Custom "transparent blue" and my Yamaha Stage Custom "transparent blue". Side by side you'd have to really look hard to see a difference in the finish.

Obviously-lugs, rims, badges, won't look "right" but if you can find a similar quality drum by another maker and you aren't hung up on the details you may save yourself some time and money...

Back