Ludwig Legacy vs DW Collectors?

johnbarnesiii

Hi guys,

I have an early 90s maple DW kit in black. It’s a pre-Collectors kit with Keller shells. I love it but am considering trying out a new kit.

Tonally I prefer nice and warm, fat sounding drums. I’m interested in WMP finish as well as a deep snare ie 7x14 or so.

I’ve heard good things about the Ludwig Legacy series. How would these compare in sound to my DW kit?

Any input from people who’ve tried both would be most appreciated. Thanks!

In other words, will the Legacy’s be warmer, lower and fatter sounding, (especially the Legacy Mahogany’s) being that they recreate that 60s vintage drum sound?

Before you go off and buy another set - try some different heads. If you want really warm, try some coated power stroke 4's on the tom batters, or better yet, fiberskyn 3's.

I did that with my Pearl Reference Pure kit - it was a total chameleon depending on what heads you put on it. It could be bright and loud with clear ambassadors, and then you could make them warm and tubby with coated power stroke 4's. It was amazing. I would think you could do that with the drums you have now.

Before you go off and buy another set - try some different heads. If you want really warm, try some coated power stroke 4's on the tom batters, or better yet, fiberskyn 3's.

I did that with my Pearl Reference Pure kit - it was a total chameleon depending on what heads you put on it. It could be bright and loud with clear ambassadors, and then you could make them warm and tubby with coated power stroke 4's. It was amazing. I would think you could do that with the drums you have now.

Unless you just have the bug to buy a new kit I would take Bo's suggestion. Head choice is very under rated and thought about when it comes to the sound of a kit. Coated heads will not only be warmer but tend to be a bit more focused. In my head experimentation over the years I've found that Remo tends to have a slightly "brighter tone" and Evans tend to have a "darker" tone to them.

Hi guys,

Probably a bit late in the topic, but I recently did a session using my Ludwig Legacy kit and I just love it! I was captured on film during soundcheck so I grabbed the recorded audio to line it up. What you're hearing is with zero processing and natural reverb (mostly from a corridor mic). Sounds best if you crank it up in headphones (as always).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J_-CHGjAvg

Hopefully hearing it will help you more than any words....

Cheers

Stoney

Back