Do you vacialte? I do a lot...

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Between different styles that you love to play?
For me it's Big Band swing and Prog Rock.
Different styles, techniques, gear etc... I'm never bored with it.

apologies if i was serious, just trying to help out here.
but ya sorry missed I the 'l' in 'vacillate'.
And am equally unsure you're trolling in your last post there eclipsu

Lol...sorry about my typo in the title. Proof that I shouldn't go near a computer until after the second cup of coffee.
Yes I meant to waiver between two different styles.

Yeah. Now I'm studying reggae and tango styles. Next month it might be hip hop.

I'll find out tonight! First rehearsal with a new original material trio. I suppose you could classify it as indie rock/pop, but the drum parts are very staccato, & completely alien to my background. Not as alien as Andy attempting free for jazz or anything like that, but for this old fart, it's a challenge alright. I'm worried as to how I'm meant to get satisfying grooves into such urgent material - we'll see.

Back in the day however, I did move to latin & (early) linear stuff from time to time, then found ways of integrating those styles into my rock/pop based playing. I'm still pretty much a one trick pony however :(

Changing styles is just part of being a good musician. To me, it doesn't mean you're vacillating or indecisive. Just creative and capable. I can go from a rock gig straight to a blues/jazz or fusion gig without feeling like I'm unsure about anything. Just different styles for different music/gigs.

Lol...sorry about my typo in the title. Proof that I shouldn't go near a computer until after the second cup of coffee.
Yes I meant to waiver between two different styles.

Make that until after the third cup of coffee.

Waver.

(Disclaimer: This post is intended as good natured ribbing, not snidey grammar Nazism. I noted that you inserted an extra 'i' in a word. I infer nothing about your family, background, personality, intelligence, family or anything else. Just so we're more or less clear.)

(Disclaimer: This post is intended as good natured ribbing, not snidey grammar Nazism. I noted that you inserted an extra 'i' in a word. I infer nothing about your family, background, personality, intelligence, family or anything else. Just so we're more or less clear.)

I call it fat-fingering it... especially on "smart" phones. What are we to do... arrive at the home, bring up MS Word type a response, spell check it, edit as necessary prior to posting? Or just chat on the fly.

Let me ask... have you ever received a card or note from someone in the mail which was totally lacking in elocution, clarity of thought, and read like a quick txt?

So why then do some have the need, the inner OCD to perform grammatical law enforcement on posts, and yet... never contribute to the discussion except to point out those errors which are primarily typos caused by inefficient HSI (human-system-interface) devices which we use during those times when we are communicating while mobile (CWM)?

Come on GeoB.

I thought that I made it abundantly clear that I was amused at a mis-spelled (or do I mean mis-spelt) word in a response to being earlier politely called out on a strange spelling. Cor-wrong me if I'm wrecked, but I think it's OK to find the spelling funny without finding the speller funny.

@JeremyBender - if I have trodden on toes (which was absolutely not my intention), I will happily delete my post.

And to respond to the topic directly...

Not so much a wavering between musical styles as wanting to fit in something of everything. 50's rock and roll, 80's new wave, blues, 90's straight ahead rock...all of it. Sometimes yes even - whisper it! - disco. When I've played guitar I've been much more single minded in what I've wanted to play. But with drums I'm like a fat kid in a candy store. I just want everything!

I'm guilty of vacillating from time to time.
Also, I masticate often... sometimes in front of people. o_O

Come on GeoB.

I thought that I made it abundantly clear that I was amused at a mis-spelled (or do I mean mis-spelt) word in a response to being earlier politely called out on a strange spelling.

I was just bustin' on you. I mis-spell all the time and invariably someone will correct me. The real humor was that I had no idea that waivering was spelled wavering.

I jump from Funk to reggae to rock almost on a weekly basis, depending on my mood. Still struggling with the nuances of Reggae, for a simple sounding style of music the drumming is a bugger to nail properly.

I'm guilty of vacillating from time to time.
Also, I masticate often... sometimes in front of people. o_O

That's pretty shocking, but in my time I have been a philatelist. I know...the shame!

I was just bustin' on you. I mis-spell all the time and invariably someone will correct me. The real humor was that I had no idea that waivering was spelled wavering.

All good.

That's pretty shocking, but in my time I have been a philatelist. I know...the shame!

My grandfather was a well known philatelist. This always kept him at odds with my grandmother, who was peniaphobic. Depression, don't you know. But they were quite happy.

Attachments

• kipling.png
    kipling.png
    299.2 KB · Views: 104
Make that until after the third cup of coffee.

Waver.

Lol...All is well, I roll my eyes whenever I see my typo's.

Changing styles is just part of being a good musician. To me, it doesn't mean you're vacillating or indecisive. Just creative and capable. I can go from a rock gig straight to a blues/jazz or fusion gig without feeling like I'm unsure about anything. Just different styles for different music/gigs.

I like that approach a lot. It's positive.

Back