Help Needed! Damaged Mapex kit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrbluesky

I was about to sell a starter set which I`m lead to believe is a Mapex QR, when I noticed it has very bad sun fade damage, due to it being placed in front of a window.
I have been trying to find a shop in the U.K that sell`s the identical wrap so I can have an attempt at trying to replace it myself. But not having much luck so far.

I have looked online but you can`t get a good close up of the finish and I need to be sure its the same before I purchase replacement wrap, as the two rack toms and the floor tom also have faded.
Or does anyone in the uk know of anywhere that would repair them for me.

Last edited:
Re: Help Needed!! Damaged Mapex kit!!..

Send forum member Larryace a PM. He did a little restore on some faded wrap and may be able to help.

Re: Help Needed!! Damaged Mapex kit!!..

Hey mrbluesky...

Your wrap is clearly UV damaged, and a perfect candidate for an unyellowing process that will cost you some time and labor, but very little money. It's really easy, but you need to take all the hardware off the drum, and you need a sunny day or two.

Here's all the info you need in this thread. You should read the whole thread and then visit the link in my first post to get the formula you need.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90954&highlight=unyellowed

Would LOVE to see after pics if you do this.

I did it on some 76 Ludwigs with beautiful results. The process will totally chemically reverse the yellowing/browning.

Just don't use any type of scrub brush on the wrap, not necessary at all. It will dull the natural sheen of the wrap. All you need is a soft paint brush to apply the gel to the wrap, set it out in the sun for a day, and the gel does all the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back