Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Ogg,
We had a really great time making that record. It's a long time ago now - but I loved working with the other members Danny Thompson, Pandit Dinesh and Jakko Jakszyk. It came together really quickly at Spaceward Studios near Cambridge. We all played together and it was a nice vibe - sadly nothing really came of it as the record company dropped it after about a year.

Cheers
Gavin

Anyway, browsing through my local second hand cd store earlier today when I came across 'Dizrhythmia', the name rang a bell so I find this album features the talents (from '88) of a certain 'Gavin Harrison'. Man, I've had one listen and it's 'out there' for sure. I had a wee google and came across the term 'Indo-fusion'? and checked out that it's you mate. Any recollections of this Gavin? Personally I consider it quite the find.

Hi Cygnify,
that preview seems to have all my double bass drumming in it for the whole record!
In the end of "Futile" there's only 4 notes on the BD in between the china hits - and none with the snare drum. Does that make sense?
I think you can clearly see it in this clip

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/gavinharrisonfutile.html

Cheers
Gavin

The preview gives me the impression that you use a fair amount of double bass on the heavier sections. You have often downplayed your double bass talent (something I would vehemently disagree with :)) I have tried for quite some time to play the ending to "Futile" up to speed - but those short double kick bursts and their relation to the ride/snare pattern is extremely difficult. Do you begin thinking of something like the end of "Futile" by focusing on your lead (right) foot and then try to add the other foot to double it up? Also, I am trying to determine if you hit the kick simultaneously with the snare where the pattern lines up? (This lends to 3 groupings of 5 notes on the kick vs. changing the kick pattern to allow for the snare hit)

Hi Gavin,

I intend no harm to C.Maitland by writing this, but...I've been going through (OK, obsessing over) PT's back catalog and can't help but compare you two.

Something "torqued up" the entire PT sound when you joined the band (and I'm not just talking about the "heavier" sound on IA and Deadwing). There's a noticeable energy missing on the earlier stuff that attributable directly to your later influence. It's almost like Maitland had an "asleep at the wheel" style about him.

Speaking of asleep at the wheel, well, more like in a trance at the wheel, your music is a constant companion on my drive to and from work. It's a never-ending source of wonderment to me, a 47 year old chick in North Carolina, USA. (Love your, Start of Something Beautiful and the addition of your twinkle-doo cymbalettes on the DVD)

It's a pleasure to read the comments from other posters here. I don't feel quite so much like I'm living in the wilderness without fellow kindred. I'm doing my best to "evangelize the masses" regarding PT, even if I prefer to keep you all to myself. (I joke.)

Here's hoping y'all come back to DC on your next US tour. I'll drive the four hours - no problema.

Hi Gavin,

I intend no harm to C.Maitland by writing this, but...I've been going through (OK, obsessing over) PT's back catalog and can't help but compare you two.

Something "torqued up" the entire PT sound when you joined the band (and I'm not just talking about the "heavier" sound on IA and Deadwing). There's a noticeable energy missing on the earlier stuff that attributable directly to your later influence. It's almost like Maitland had an "asleep at the wheel" style about him.

Speaking of asleep at the wheel, well, more like in a trance at the wheel, your music is a constant companion on my drive to and from work. It's a never-ending source of wonderment to me, a 47 year old chick in North Carolina, USA. (Love your, Start of Something Beautiful and the addition of your twinkle-doo cymbalettes on the DVD)

It's a pleasure to read the comments from other posters here. I don't feel quite so much like I'm living in the wilderness without fellow kindred. I'm doing my best to "evangelize the masses" regarding PT, even if I prefer to keep you all to myself. (I joke.)

Here's hoping y'all come back to DC on your next US tour. I'll drive the four hours - no problema.

Ummmm I'm thinking that unless you can play anywhere near as good as Chris Maitland did for PT then maybe you shouldn't say he was "asleep at the wheel". I personally think his drumming was excellent and he was their drummer when I discovered PT and became completely obsessed. When Gavin (here is your props!) took over he just took the band to another level. It was just meant to be. Maybe the band had just progressed beyond Chris's skill level??? Why did he leave anyway? Was he fired? Whats the scoop Gavin??? Do tell, do tell.

cheers
Daniel

Why did he leave anyway? Was he fired? Whats the scoop Gavin??? Do tell, do tell.
Daniel

Hi Daniel. It's great that Gavin finds time and pleasure to answer really all these technical drumming questions. What an enrichment for our forum - like a live chat. Thank you soo much Gavin, looking forward to meet you in FF......

BUT PLEASE: Don't ask him personal band internas or opinions about other drummers, you will not get an answer on the forum - for good reason. That's also the reason, why so few drummers frequent forums.

Bernhard

BUT PLEASE: Don't ask him personal band internas or opinions about other drummers, you will not get an answer on the forum - for good reason. That's also the reason, why so few drummers frequent forums.

I didn't ask him for his opinion on Chris Maitland, I was sticking up for him as I think he was awesome with PT. I really didn't expect an answer about why Chris left the band, call it curiousity!

I also agree that for someone of Gavins stature to make himself available to the masses like this just adds to his reputation. If only more Pros could take the time to do the same.

Cheers
Daniel

Hey Gavin,
I just finished reading Kenny Werners "Effortless Mastery." Could you give me some insight into what you came away with, from this obviously intelligent and thought provoking book. Thanks, Take care and God bless.

MM

Jippiiiiiiii Gavin will come to Germany , Frankfurt

I will be first in line :)
Hmmm is there a chance to met you after the show to get an autograph on my Rhymtmic Vision DVD or PT-CD ? :) :)

Would be great !

Nice Greetings to the master and all other musicians :)

Timbo

P.s. the drums on the new album F.O.B.P. are awesome.
Nice double bass licks . Pro-Metal-drummers will be jealous when they listen to it :)

Hey Gavin,
I just finished reading Kenny Werners "Effortless Mastery." Could you give me some insight into what you came away with, from this obviously intelligent and thought provoking book. Thanks, Take care and God bless.

MM

I've not heard of this book. I see that it's highly recommended but how does it help out a drummer for example?

Hi Midnite Mike & Glen Thomas,
It's a great read - and I can't really do it justice by summarising it in a couple of sentences..but the main thing that I got from reading "Effortless Mastery" was that I could mentally relax more about trying to sound good. Laugh off mistakes and not fear them. It was just a change in attitude about performance especially regarding improvising.

Hi Timbo,
yes I'll be there - probably the best place to find me is at the Sonor stand.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Midnite Mike & Glen Thomas,
It's a great read - and I can't really do it justice by summarising it in a couple of sentences..but the main thing that I got from reading "Effortless Mastery" was that I could mentally relax more about trying to sound good. Laugh off mistakes and not fear them. It was just a change in attitude about performance especially regarding improvising.

I already laugh at my playing so I've got a good head start.. |0| :)
I'll definetly pick the book up. It sounds interesting.
Thanks Gavin

I honestly do not think you're aware of how cool your accessibility is Gavin. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to us mortals. I'm a proficient practising drummer for over twenty years and pretty much have my six piece set up to perfection...but now I have three (very different) splash cymbals to the left of my hats, lets say it's getting there but thanks again for the inspiration.
I'd have to agree that your presence has raised PT to a whole new level, somewhat reassuring to find an album's release thoroughly encircled on one's calender and awaited with genuine anticiapation. I'm holding a rather smokey listening party in honour of the album's release...first I've held since 'Vapor Trails'!
Of course you're invited mate...:)

Nice post Diane, the driving 'chick in North Carolina..' I listen to PT non-stop on my mp3 player when I'm delivering the royal mail, here in a very wet england '.3' (from IAbs) being the current fav' :).

Hi Gavin,

thanks for the musikmesse-info, I'm looking forward to your performance there as much as to the new PT-album, I'm trying to avoid listening to any snippets on the net as i very much like to stretch the time of anticipated joy and I'm sure it will be worth waiting for the 'whole package'.

Cheers, Maren

Last edited:
hi gavin

i recently got your rythmic illusions video and it is a great inspiration. it introduces all those wicked ideas/conecepts in a real good style/way. i definatly want to get your book to help inforce those ideas on the video.

just a quick question and i hope you have not answered this before, i have had a browse through and could not find it

on the dvd (rythmic illusion) you use a silver snare drum (you use this the marority of the time) which looks like it is a 13". you you possibly tell me what drum it was because it sounds amazing.

thanks for you time

tom

Hi mr_hayward_99,
thanks for the message. I think you may have the name of the DVD wrong. There's two DVDs "Rhythmic Visions" and the new one "Rhythmic Horizons".

I think you're confusing it with the name of my first book "Rhythmic Illusions" (easily done as all my stuff is Rhythmic This and Rhythmic That). I imagine you're talking about the white snare drum with silver specks in it? If that's the one you mean - it is a 12x5 Sonor Designer.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi!
Yes you guys are right this guy is good!
I like the fact that he plays not only with sticks,but with his mind and a very big musical sense of rhythm.Thats what I really like!
And It's great to know that english drummers like Gavin,Neil Wilkinson,Etc are getting a known position in the drum world!
And his spotless match grip technique!! not to miss!
keep it up Gavin!!

Hey Gavin,
I've been listening to the studio albums and the live performances of PT for sometime now and i'm curious about something. I understand that you like to "mix it up" in your live performances, i.e.: drums fills, overriding, etc. which i love to hear, and i understand. Who wants to hear or play the same damn fills every single night? My question is: When you sit down to record for the albums, what is the deciding factor about what fills get put in and what fills get left out? Its obvious that you have a large selection from your arsenal, so where is the line drawn? Thanks, take care and God bless.

MM

Hi dannypenalver,
thanks for the kind words.

Hi Midnite Mike,
I try to just play fills that come to me on the spot rather than drawing on an arsenal of fills - although those ones seep through sometimes. If my mind is in the right place for the song and the arrangement - I hopefully would find a fill that's right for that moment. It has to have some musical sense to it rather than just a 'show off your chops' based thing just for the hell of it. I suppose it's quite an instinctive thing - where to put a fill - and what type of fill - I think a lot of it comes down to the character and personality of the drummer.

Cheers
Gavin

hi gavin.

just thought i'd say how much i enjoyed your interview with Mike Dolbear....very informative.

also, look forward to seeing you in Wolverhampton in April.

carry on.

DWP

Back