Classifieds - When to file a paypal dispute?

Hi all

I bought an item from a member here on DW (although they have a few post count) through the classifieds section at the beginning of the this month. I still haven't received the item and the seller claims to have proof of postage and was going to look in to it for me. Last contact was almost a week ago and I haven't heard anything from him.

When is an appropriate time period to file a paypal dispute for a claim? If the seller has proof of postage who does the fault lie on, i.e is he in the clear because he has sent the item, or does he have to refund me and get compensation from the mail courier (Royal Mail im assuming)?

The value of the item was only £35, but I would still like to get this returned if no item is received.

Regards

First thing I would do, is e-mail him again. And then a third time. And if the product doesn't show up, and he doesn't respond to your e-mails, then file a dispute. And save your e-mails, as documentation. Yeah, after a month, he's negligent. If he insured the item, then he needs to file a claim, with the Royal Mail.​
Once you file a dispute, PayPal will contact him. Sometimes, that's all it takes, to get a seller straight. PayPal, if they can't get results from the guy, will probably refund your money, deduct said amount from the sellers account (if he's still active), and possibly close his account if he's a jerk.​

From memory you've got 45 days to lodge a complaint. I once lodged one for an eBay item that never came. It's all pretty civil and it's a pretty good system where both parties have to lay out their cards, and it's overseen/mediated by someone from PayPal. I tried to resolve it directly but they were being very vague, and 45 days was coming up fast, so i lodged my complaint. I got a refund pretty much as soon as I lodged the complaint.

Thanks guys

Will send another message to the seller today and give him a few days to reply. If no reply I will file with paypal.

Regards

Back