5x15 Supralite

G

Ghostnote

Just got one of these, and WOW! For 200 clams this is a dynamite drum. For 500 clams it would be a great drum, really impressed with it. I threw a coated Ambassador on there and tuned it just north of medium tension and it sounds really spanky with a clean tone and lots of body. Nice cut, but a little warmer than I was expecting from a steel shelled drum. Sounds kind of like an LM400 on steroids.

Congrats on your SL.
I bought a 14 x 6.5 a couple of years ago and love it. Its my go-to snare for medium to larger/outside gigs.
As an LM400 on steroids- good comparison.
I installed a coated PS3 on the batter, so it has both fullness and precision, a little ring that sounds good.

Why did you choose the 14 x 5 size?

Sounds like a great drum !!

I have been looking for a steel snare for outdoor gigs.
Not sure I want a 15 inch snare between my legs. But the 14 inch would work for me.

I have the 14x8 Supralite, and it's a lot of fun to play. It's too bad they have the "it's "just" a steel snare" stigma attached, because steel can sound fantastic if done well, and the Supralites are done very well.

I bought the 7X13" Supralite. It's a real shotgun. Perfect high-pitched, brief ring and loud enough to work anywhere. Very, very easy to tune. My favorite metal snare drum of all time - so far.

_12.jpg

GeeDeeEmm

Another Supralite fan here. I have a 14x6.5 and it is one of my two main snares, the other being a Pork Pie Cherry Bubinga 14x7. I keep saying the Supralite is one of the best deals going out there.

I bought the 7X13" Supralite. It's a real shotgun. Perfect high-pitched, brief ring and loud enough to work anywhere. Very, very easy to tune. My favorite metal snare drum of all time - so far.

_12.jpg

GeeDeeEmm

I wan't aware that they had produced a 7X13.

Congrats on the Surpalite, I also have a 14" x 6.5" and love it and also think its one of the best snare for the $ out there, I had problems with the lugs loosing though but I went to the hardware and got some 1\4" nuts and installed them on the batter side kinda like the Pearl Ian Paice signature snare...problem solved...lol

keep swattin'
Bonzolead

I wan't aware that they had produced a 7X13.

I think it's exclusive to Guitar Center - at least for now.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ludwig-Supralite-Steel-Snare-Drum-109453191-i3273315.gc

I still want one of those, and the price is dropped $30 from last time I looked.

I have the 14x8 Supralite, and it's a lot of fun to play. It's too bad they have the "it's "just" a steel snare" stigma attached, because steel can sound fantastic if done well, and the Supralites are done very well.

I have no problem saying I'm a big fan of some steel snares.

Congrats on your SL.
I bought a 14 x 6.5 a couple of years ago and love it. Its my go-to snare for medium to larger/outside gigs.
As an LM400 on steroids- good comparison.
I installed a coated PS3 on the batter, so it has both fullness and precision, a little ring that sounds good.

Why did you choose the 14 x 5 size?

I actually have a 5x15 and im lovin' it. Tuned up medium tight it has great spank and slap, but the 15" diameter gives it a warmth, breadth, and body that belies it's shallow depth. Makes me wonder why other snares go for 2, 3, 4 times the price when this one kicks so much butt for 200 smackers. Asian manufacturing I guess, but don't believe the hype when snobs tell you that you have to spend 500+ for a top shelf drum. This thing is absolutely capable of producing pro level sounds. It may just have a cheap Taiwanese strainer and tube lugs on it, but it sounds every bit as good as much more expensive drums I've played. I bet Ludwig is regretting introducing them onto the market for so cheap.

That's a 13x6". SaltyDog was asking about a 13x7" because gdmoore28 said they had a 13x7".

I think probably gdmoore28 is mistaken and it is actually a 13x6 not 13x7.

Yep, my mistake. I was writing in a hurry and didn't re-read before posting. It's 6X13. Sorry. And on sale for $159 at GC. According to the latest GC catalog, the 6X13 is a GC "exclusive," which I suppose means that it was made specifically for GC, is not a catalog item, and is available nowhere else. Looks like they've arranged the same kind of "exclusive" deal with Ludwig (8X14 USA Classic Maple/Black Oak, $299.99), PDP (7.5X14 maple/walnut w/wood hoops, $279.99), Tama (6.5X14 steel or birch, $169.99; and 7X14 Starclassic Performer Birch/Bubinga, $299.99), Yamaha, OCDP, Outlaw USA, and Pork Pie. Got tired of typing stuff that anybody can look up online, so I'm not describing the latter snares. :)

GeeDeeEmm

Last edited:
Back