Are G12's/G+ supposed to dent easily?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I finally fitted all my Evans 12mil single ply heads.. I didn't like them at first but they grew on me before long.

One thing I noticed though - my 10" showed stick marks almost straight away and they look like the bad kind.

Same Tom angles (flat enough) as with my g2's and I'm not a big hitter. FWIW I have a g plus on the 10", g12 on the 8" and EC1's on both floor toms and the other drum heads don't look dented.

They shouldn't dent easily, though it depends on several factors- how hard you're hitting (most people claim not to be heavy hitters but we all play with some dynamic range from time to time :) , stick tip shape, tension of the head. The G14 may be a better fit for you.

Feel free to hit me up directly if you have any questions. I'd be happy to send you a G14 to check out.

Cheers!

Me thinkith that you hitith too hard :)
Go with the G14 as our resident Evans guru said.
I really like thick single ply heads for my Rock kits. I use thick single ply heads from both Evans and Remo.
I have never had an issue with a 12 ply denting.

Does the 8" have the same issue? Clear heads show stick marks immediately for me, though I haven't got any dents in the few months I've had my G12 (12") and G14 (15"), and I play pretty hard with heavy sticks. I've only got one dent in my G1 (10"), even.

Might be a bad head, perhaps, or something about the stick tip/angle. Also, if it's very low tuned, I find that heads dent much easier (though IIRC you don't tend to tune low enough for that to be an issue).

Nah the 8 looks fine.

I remember an interview with Gavin Harrison where he said his 10 wore much more quickly than his other heads.. I position mine the same. Maybe there's something to that.

Nah the 8 looks fine.

I remember an interview with Gavin Harrison where he said his 10 wore much more quickly than his other heads.. I position mine the same. Maybe there's something to that.

Hmm. I guess so! I think I had a similar issue with my 10" on my last kit but now that I have a 20" bass drum & usually play one-up, I have it much more low and flat, and it seems to hold up fine.

I have kits I rotate....all of them Evans. G1 clears on two 14 floors that have sustained an absolute pummeling with 747 oak sticks, and very little if any denting.

Funny thing, I let one of my little neighbors come over one afternoon while I was working in the garage, he was 5 at the time, and in 15 or 20 minutes he dented two coated G1s on that kit that would take a beating from me for 2 hours a day....which was ok, he's just a kid...I was not watching, but I suspect he was doing a kamikaze dive bomb with the pointed part of the stick. Lol

That's true. Might have to replace earlier. You're still a dickturd.

Back