John Bonham

Re: Bonham on Bonham - a new book is coming.

Bonham, yeah!!!
I just got done watching Niels new DVD.( Anatomy) and now Bonhams book... I think I died and went to drum heaven!!! RIGHT ON!!! EH!

Re: Bonham on Bonham - a new book is coming.

D'oh. I was hoping it was some sort of workbook based around his playing style.

Re: A treat for John Bonham fans

Any requests?

Rehearsals, outtakes, unreleased songs, bootlegs [request something by year maybe]

dothecrunge said:
Only one person downloaded this so far? C'mon people, if you downloaded it, at least voice your opinion, good or bad.

'Please Wait 45 Seconds....'

"Megaupload simple, fast, and FREE!"

Yeah, if it's so simple, HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU DOWNLOAD THE FILE!

God I hate free web hosting sites.

Just wait until the 45 seconds is over, and a download link appears, right where the 45 second countdown timer is.

However, megaupload places an ad in that part of the screen so you can't see the timeout finish. Click on the [x] in the upper right corner to close that ad and behind it the timeout counter is there... and it will switch to "download" after the 45 seconds.

-I know Nutha compiled a list of Zep songs with tricky drum parts, and I have to add "In my time of Dying" to that. It's amazing how Bonham and Jones stay so tight through the entire thing.
-Personally, I prefer Bonzo's Montreaux over Moby Dick, although I have no idea if it was recorded in one take (BTW, is he playing a steel drum as well?)
-I've always wondered about one of the versions of "How Many More Times" on the DVD (it's in black and white and on a TV show of some kind). About 2/3rds into the song they all pause, camera closes up on Bonzo who's looking pretty motionless, and you hear what sounds like machine gun fire. I've gone back and watched it many times and can't figure out if the infamous right foot is somehow involved. Anyone with insight to this?

-I know Nutha compiled a list of Zep songs with tricky drum parts, and I have to add "In my time of Dying" to that. It's amazing how Bonham and Jones stay so tight through the entire thing.
-Personally, I prefer Bonzo's Montreaux over Moby Dick, although I have no idea if it was recorded in one take (BTW, is he playing a steel drum as well?)

in my time of dying is very cool.
montreaux
the basic track as far as i know was recorded in one take. then there were some overdubs of bonham playing on his famous tipmanis. jimi page then took the overdubs and messed with them electronically until they sound like steel pans. genius

j

intooder said:
-I've always wondered about one of the versions of "How Many More Times" on the DVD (it's in black and white and on a TV show of some kind). About 2/3rds into the song they all pause, camera closes up on Bonzo who's looking pretty motionless, and you hear what sounds like machine gun fire. I've gone back and watched it many times and can't figure out if the infamous right foot is somehow involved. Anyone with insight to this?

I personally think In My Time of Dying is Bonzo's greatest work.

Watch Jimmy Page's right hand during the "machine gun fire". ;)

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely have to watch for what Page's up to. I guesss I've always been too fixated on Bonzo (surprise...).

Re: John Bonham - Fool In The Rain (Snare Accents)

Well the way I know it is...

1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a
r l R l r l r L r L r L R l R L
o o O o o o o O o O o O O o O O

Well the way I know it is...

r l R l r l r L r L r L R l R L
o o O o o o o O o O o O O o O O

I'm currently being taught this in lessons.
Half time shuffles.. Man...

Did Bonzo use a normal sized snare wire or was it a 42 strand wire? Im sure Nutha will know :D I just love that fatness but also the resonance of his Supraphonic

NUTHA JASON said:
he certainly used the 40 and 42 strand varieties. when he started using them, i don't really know. could be right from the first album.

j

To my knowledge, Bonzo was very protective of his snare for some reason. I guess he didn't want anyone stealing his tuning secrets or something.

I have no idea the answer to your question. Sorry.

How do u do the bass drum rolls like John Bonham???

hey, i've been playing drums for almost 2 years now and i play a mapex pro m 4 piece kit. I've been trying to figure out how John Bonham does his rolls on the bass pedal like in "good times bad times". can anyone help?

Back