Sonor Players Kit from Sam Ash

Whatever you prefer. Right now I'm in love with Ludwig's smooth white medium weight heads. But that means nothing to you. So whatever head you like on your other drums, just go with them.

I picked up a virtually brand new set for $350 last week, got it home and immediately changed the snare, toms' heads.
The bass drum had a PS3 on the batter and a Holz cut-out on the res.
The kit sounds great and really cut through a couple of different group practices. I like having the 10" tom vs. a 12" tom for a lot of music we play.
The snare, is so- so, sounds a bit light. I put on a Vintage A batter and Tune-Bot'd the drum, but the snares still buzzed/vibrated a bit (regardless of how I've tune the heads) and can be heard on the Handy recorder, so I'll probably stick with my main Supralite Ludwig 14 x 16.5.

Compared to my Cavern Club date, the Sonor kit does feel a bit heavier even though the Cavern drums are all a little larger; but all of that Sonor hardware feels so much more sturdy and reliable than the Club Date's, from the holders to the spurs. Also, the 12 x 20 bass drum w/the PS3, cuts through really clearly with a good thud and depth, perhaps not as round as the larger 14 x 20 Club Date.

Overall, am very happy with the quality/sound of the Player Kit and the small footprint as well. It's really just like my Sonor Safari kit, with the 12x20, instead of the 16 x 16 the Safari came with. I'm using my Safari as the practice kit w/mesh heads for quiet control. Having the 12 x 20 bass drum in this configuration works perfectly for what I need now- price/sound/convenience wise.

I wanted to say, after owning this kit just about a year, how much enjoyment I get from playing it. The enjoyment factor just keeps increasing with me. The dark sparkle wrap is badass. It looks really classy, belying the price paid. The whole kit sounds awesome, it's a grand slam. It's small, while delivering everything you want from a kit of any size, at a stupid cheap price. My only neg is the weight, but I wouldn't change a thing. Doesn't bother me, but some it might. I don't use the snare.

The lugs definitely do have Sonor's tune safe thing.... and they really work. I love the tone of both toms, pure and well balanced. Easy to tune. Satisfying. But the 20 x 12 bass drum...I'm a bass tone guy and I love this size drum. If anyone is unsure, this drum is not lacking....at all....in the bass department. Quite the contrary, it delivers very satisfying bass drum tones. Punchy is the perfect description for the bass drum sound. I run it wide open, no port. It's a killer.

What a great bop kit. Highly recommend if anyone is on the prowl for a smalll, affordable, kickass set of drums.

I wanted to say, after owning this kit just about a year, how much enjoyment I get from playing it. The enjoyment factor just keeps increasing with me. The dark sparkle wrap is badass. It looks really classy, belying the price paid. The whole kit sounds awesome, it's a grand slam. It's small, while delivering everything you want from a kit of any size, at a stupid cheap price. My only neg is the weight, but I wouldn't change a thing. Doesn't bother me, but some it might. I don't use the snare.

The lugs definitely do have Sonor's tune safe thing.... and they really work. I love the tone of both toms, pure and well balanced. Easy to tune. Satisfying. But the 20 x 12 bass drum...I'm a bass tone guy and I love this size drum. If anyone is unsure, this drum is not lacking....at all....in the bass department. Quite the contrary, it delivers very satisfying bass drum tones. Punchy is the perfect description for the bass drum sound. I run it wide open, no port. It's a killer.

What a great bop kit. Highly recommend if anyone is on the prowl for a smalll, affordable, kickass set of drums.

So says the guy who owns a set of Gurus too ;)

Come on Larry, you can say it - all other drums are beneath your Gurus ;)

So says the guy who owns a set of Gurus too ;)

Come on Larry, you can say it - all other drums are beneath your Gurus ;)

To be totally fair, and Andy is going to hate me for this, I get more satisfaction from getting a great sound from a cheap kit, than getting a great sound from a great kit. A great kit is expected to sound great. When I can get a great sound from a sub 500 dollar kit...that's a certain brand of satisfaction that can only be had by NOT spending thousands of dollars.

To be totally fair, and Andy is going to hate me for this, I get more satisfaction from getting a great sound from a cheap kit, than getting a great sound from a great kit. A great kit is expected to sound great. When I can get a great sound from a sub 500 dollar kit...that's a certain brand of satisfaction that can only be had by NOT spending thousands of dollars.

He wouldn't hate you, would he? They already have your money ;)

I hear you on getting a great sound on cheap drums. I just don't want to deal with the stuff that starts to break ;)

I came pretty close to grabbing one of these kits.. As far as speaking to a sales rep on the phone. They are out of stock, from what the kid @SA said.

It is gratifying to say the least when your inexpensive drums don't sound inexpensive.. I'm living some of that with the Breakbeats.

I came pretty close to grabbing one of these kits.. As far as speaking to a sales rep on the phone. They are out of stock, from what the kid @SA said.

It is gratifying to say the least when your inexpensive drums don't sound inexpensive.. I'm living some of that with the Breakbeats.

Amazon says it's selling the Player Kit thru Russo Music, with 4 left.
Sam Ash had an exclusive but that expired either late last year or early this year. I bought mine used in mint condition off Craigslist, but Guitar Center guy said they could get it from Sonor in 3 weeks.

Yeah I saw that soon after. For me the portability and weight factor were issues.
Premier is having a similar kit built in all birch - for a $100 less, but the qc seems sketch from what I have seen. Proves that not all budget compact kits are not created equal.

The Sonor player looks like a great choice.

Yeah I saw that soon after. For me the portability and weight factor were issues.
Premier is having a similar kit built in all birch - for a $100 less, but the qc seems sketch from what I have seen. Proves that not all budget compact kits are not created equal.

The Sonor player looks like a great choice.

Is the portability and weight factor an issue with the drums or the hardware you use? I bet if I weighed my Ludwig classic maples alone, the weight difference between that and anything smaller would be negligible. It's those hardware pieces that need to be lighter, or less in number, eh?

Is the portability and weight factor an issue with the drums or the hardware you use? I bet if I weighed my Ludwig classic maples alone, the weight difference between that and anything smaller would be negligible. It's those hardware pieces that need to be lighter, or less in number, eh?
Naw. When I take the micro kit out, I am trying to minimize overall weight of the gear. The drums themselves are featherweight so that plus a few Pearl 830 cymbal stands, hh stand and pedal. My wife and I can huck the whole shebang in one trip. I'm older and my back thanks me.

Back