DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-26-2011, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin,

Thanks! I checked and it was at the very bottom available as a flac download. Thanks so much!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:01 AM

Hey Gavin! What fascinates me is how many covers of songs like Blackest Eyes or Halo are on youtube, and yet it appears that they are all fine. Why that is, I'm completely clueless. I have absolutely no idea what makes all of them different from me. Simo, thanks for the help in that area. It's hard to believe that there are tons of PT covers out there, and I bet that they never experienced any problems whatsoever. Just type in "porcupine tree blackest eyes drum cover" and see how many videos come up. Most of them actually have the song in the video. It's crazy! Oh well. Guess I'm not doing any covers of PT any time soon. If anyone has anything more to comment on this, please, I just want to be seen as a drummer with amazing talents.

On another topic: Gavin, I was just wondering what it was like to record the song 'Okay' with 05ric, mainly the middle section where you use that crazy, yet amazing RLRRL rudiment of yours. I've recently been listening to it more and more, and the pattern intrigues me. I do have the book (Rhythmic Designs) to explain how to play it, but I was wondering what went into the thought process of recording the pattern?

To be (seen) or Not to be (seen). That is the question (although I guess right now, it's not).

Cheers --Peter
Old 06-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_HiHats View Post
If anyone has anything more to comment on this, please, I just want to be seen as a drummer with amazing talents.
Yes, I do have a comment :) : If you want to be seen as a drummer with amazing talents,
rather upload some music (or drum part) of your own invention. In my opinion you'd have
to really, really, really, really nail Gavin's part to sound amazingly talented, but even then
"only" your timing, tightness and groove can be displayed in such a cover, never your
musicality or creativeness.
I believe I know more forum members and real live people who aren't really interested in
listening to drum covers at all than the other way round. My 2 Swiss francs
Old 06-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Hi Gavin,

After watching your latest DVD, I've just started working on Billy Cobham hertas with my feet.

The problem is I can only play them really slowly at the moment and only underneath a basic 12/8 ride cymbal/snare groove.

My ultimate aim is to play them under a 4/4 groove, much like you do, but this seems a million miles off, which is frustrating as I can nomally master new licks/grooves quite quickly after practice.

I wondered if you found mastering hertas with your feet particularly challenging, and if you had any words of advice.

PS Fantastic clinic in Washington a few weeks back.

Cheers
Old 06-28-2011, 09:59 PM

Hello Gavin, I'm Francesco from Rome, Italy. I've been playing drums for 5 years and I discovered PT just a few months ago; since then i'm following you with great interest! I think your drumming is very particular and perfect in every situation, never too loud, always precise, perfect and of course technically advanced . Some time ago I started playing PT songs with some friends, and we set up a cover band, named "Porcupine Dilemma".

Last month we recorded a demo of "Blackest Eyes", one of my favourite PT songs. I'd really like you listening to it, possibly exposing your opinion about the whole "feeling" of the song and on my drumming. I'd be grateful to get some of your useful advices.

Thank you for the time you're spending answering your fans... Your humbleness makes you a great person and musician, as well as an incredible drummer!

Here there are links to our demo on YouTube and our Facebook profile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I__YWLFp50s

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Porcu...23174317699178

My best regards to one of my favourite drummers of all times!
Francesco Lanza
Old 07-01-2011, 05:23 AM

Hey Gavin and other people who will read this post! Apparently, youtube has this thing called the "Fair Use" policy where you can dispute your claim that your video is for "educational and criticism/ comparison purposes ONLY," or something like that. Well, I filed for it, and I'm back on youtube. I'm guessing that any copyright disputes are done now. And apparently this kind of thing happens a lot now too. Well, my video is now viewable via this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7pDvfe8GTk

Please, anyone come check out my drum covers. I think they're great, but then again I'm myself and that makes no difference. I look to post more soon, so be on the lookout.

Cheers --Peter
Old 07-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_HiHats View Post
Please, anyone come check out my drum covers. I think they're great, but then again I'm myself and that makes no difference. I look to post more soon, so be on the lookout.
I hope this is considered as constructive criticism (or not); but you are kind of an idiot. How did you think cluttering this thread with your constant unrelated posts was a good idea? There are much more appropiate sections in this forum.
I'm sure Gavin's gonna be on the lookout for your vids, though; definitely count on that.

Fox.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
I hope this is considered as constructive criticism (or not); but you are kind of an idiot. How did you think cluttering this thread with your constant unrelated posts was a good idea? There are much more appropiate sections in this forum.
I'm sure Gavin's gonna be on the lookout for your vids, though; definitely count on that.

Fox.
How is your post not cluttering up the thread as well? (or mine for that matter).

Fox you're not a mod, so let them do their work. And there's no need to be an ass and insult people.

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 07-01-2011, 09:14 PM

Gavin,

I notice that on the track 'Way Out of Here', you are playing the rims of the toms (or snare) in the verse section. Where did you develop this technique/idea? Did it come out of exploring new fills or were you inspired by someone or something to try playing the rims? And have you played the rims on any other tracks?

It's a great technique that sounds nice with the track.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by gibeachhead; 07-02-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:33 AM

Try the live version of "Cheating the Polygraph" were Gavin plays on the rims to cut through the guitars, super effective part (and awesome song also).

www.sensorama19-81.com
Old 07-04-2011, 03:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass.of.E.r.a. View Post
How is your post not cluttering up the thread as well? (or mine for that matter).

Fox you're not a mod, so let them do their work. And there's no need to be an ass and insult people.

-Jonathan
It's what he does... it clutters up the forum more than anything he critiques does. Doesn't matter how many times people point it out to him either, it doesn't change. Let him go, I suppose. God complexes are beyond help
Old 07-05-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Yes, I do have a comment :) : If you want to be seen as a drummer with amazing talents,
rather upload some music (or drum part) of your own invention. In my opinion you'd have
to really, really, really, really nail Gavin's part to sound amazingly talented, but even then
"only" your timing, tightness and groove can be displayed in such a cover, never your
musicality or creativeness.
I believe I know more forum members and real live people who aren't really interested in
listening to drum covers at all than the other way round. My 2 Swiss francs
It depend on how you cover a song. if you putt your own creativity to soemone else's song, you can actually display your own musicality by showing how you make your own adaptations of other music.
But this as a side note.

To Gavin: I find it interesting to find musicality in improvisations. Do you guys (of Porcupine Tree) ever jam?

My (Dutch) Blog!

Last edited by Lex; 07-05-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:54 PM

Okay my hands are trembling right now. I'm a really big fan of you Gavin. Listened to all your work. For me you are the greatest drummer of all time and PT is the best thing ever.
You have the best drum sound ever. You are my idol.

My question : Recently i purchased mics, but i have no clue about mixing. I mean i sit all day long trying out different stuff. I don't know much about compressors, gates etc but i depend a lot on my drum tuning and my ear. Any suggestions on where to start? And how to tune? Anything. :) Thanks a ton in advance.

Oh and i would just like to add, please do come to India soon. It is my lifelong dream to see Porcupine Tree live, just once, would do anything!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:33 AM

Hi Gavin,

I read recently on Kevin Moore's twitter that he's mixing the new OSI record in a week's time, so it must be just about finished? Are you able to confirm that you played on it, and if so, how is it sounding?

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Hi Gavin,

I read recently on Kevin Moore's twitter that he's mixing the new OSI record in a week's time, so it must be just about finished? Are you able to confirm that you played on it, and if so, how is it sounding?

Cheers,
Simon.
it's already confirmed on the OSI website "Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree has just laid down drum tracks on a handful of new OSI songs. Jim and Kevin continue to write and record material for the fourth OSI album, their first with Metal Blade Records. Mixing is slated for June 2011."
Old 07-06-2011, 03:14 PM

Hi, Gavin!
Quote:
Hi Tarthur

do you tend to crack your cymbals and do you think they brake because of improper technique?

Yes I certainly have cracked quite a few crash cymbals in my time. I don't always have the time to properly 'slice' the cymbal. However I have - for the last two years - been developing a special shock absorbing washer that has had very positive results regarding not breaking my crash cymbals. Since I've been using them the breakage rate has gone down a massive amount. When they are ready to market I'll announce it on this forum for sure.
How are the cymbal washers coming up? Or should we say, how's the research going on?

Also I see you are still suffering from the tinnitus. Here is a webpage: www.tinnitus.org. I recommend reading it despite the horrible appearance. They have found a way to aid/cure tinnitus. My big brother had a horrible tinnitus and suffered much. As he visited a doctor, who knew about this site's methods (I don't know that well his), he had his tinnitus cured. Basically in the nutshell, treatment was that you were told what tinnitus really is, it's brain's normal electric activity. In tinnitus, you have sentisified to it. When you know thoroghly what's it all about, you can be of ease with it. Also you listen a lot of white noise, so the tinnitus pitch blends away, or something like that. Seems like there are doctors at UK according to the site. It could be worth your time to check one out.
I'd really recommend everyone suffering from tinnitus to read that page.

Last edited by Tarthur; 07-08-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 AM

Gavin,

Thank you so much for your gift to us all, .. love your music, .. love your playing, ..
love PT, .. .. and love the challenge your books present.

My talents lie in photography and race engines, .. http://www.cboggs.com

Any chance we are going to get some PT shows here in the USA ??????

Curtis
Old 07-07-2011, 01:27 PM

gavin, i just saw your bigband version of futile!
i must say you are a mad man in a good way coming up with that.
how did you ever get the idea of making a BIGBAND version of that particular song?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:19 AM

Hey Gavin,
Firstly thank you so much for all the insperation youv'e given me over the years and great music too =)
My question is how do you go about picking cymbals for a song or even a band? Where did/do you start? Do you start with picking a ride cybal and build around it's sound or anything like that?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Gavin just sent me a great video from a Drumclinic in Chesham, UK :

Futile Big Band Version
written by Gavin Harrison and Steven Wilson
- arranged for big band by Laurence Cottle.
Sound recorded by Donald Lang and mixed by Gavin Harrison.

check out and enjoy the video:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/g...lebigband.html

thank you so much Gavin

Bernhard
Old 07-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post

Futile Big Band Version

thank you so much Gavin

Bernhard
Absolutely superb! I had no Idea Gavin was doing clinics in the UK. Dammit, I always miss some good stuff. I know some players do, but it would be nice if more posted their clinic dates here. Clinic events section?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post

Futile Big Band Version

thank you so much Gavin

Bernhard
That is superb. I had a smile on my face a mile wide watching that.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

WOW, awesome location in this video!!!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

That video just made my entire day. Absolutely brilliant...
Old 07-10-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Absolutely superb! I had no Idea Gavin was doing clinics in the UK. Dammit, I always miss some good stuff. I know some players do, but it would be nice if more posted their clinic dates here. Clinic events section?
Gavin did post the dates on here, always worth checking now and again.

I was lucky enough to be at the chesham clinic, it was fantastic.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:58 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi K_HiHats

I was just wondering what it was like to record the song 'Okay' with 05ric, mainly the middle section where you use that crazy, yet amazing RLRRL rudiment of yours. I've recently been listening to it more and more, and the pattern intrigues me. I do have the book (Rhythmic Designs) to explain how to play it, but I was wondering what went into the thought process of recording the pattern?

I was just looking for something fast and chaotic at that point in the song and after searching around for a few minutes I finally found that pattern - played between the ride and bells.

Hi supermac

After watching your latest DVD, I've just started working on Billy Cobham hertas with my feet.The problem is I can only play them really slowly at the moment and only underneath a basic 12/8 ride cymbal/snare groove. My ultimate aim is to play them under a 4/4 groove, much like you do, but this seems a million miles off, which is frustrating as I can nomally master new licks/grooves quite quickly after practice. I wondered if you found mastering hertas with your feet particularly challenging, and if you had any words of advice.

Starting slow is always the best place to begin. Playing them really accurately is much more important than trying to play them fast. When you play them under a 12/8 pattern make sure you try all the starting positions of the two 32nds (hertas are just two 32nds followed by two 16ths). I really like starting the 32nd on the second 16th note of the 12/8 pattern.

Hi Bonzo92

Last month we recorded a demo of "Blackest Eyes", one of my favourite PT songs. I'd really like you listening to it, possibly exposing your opinion about the whole "feeling" of the song and on my drumming. I'd be grateful to get some of your useful advices.

sorry but I can't comment on your videos. It's company policy.

Hi gibeachhead

I notice that on the track 'Way Out of Here', you are playing the rims of the toms (or snare) in the verse section. Where did you develop this technique/idea? Did it come out of exploring new fills or were you inspired by someone or something to try playing the rims? And have you played the rims on any other tracks?

On that song I'm just playing the rim of the snare drum (almost like a cowbell replacement). I've been using that sound for years - in fact I first remember doing that on Sam Brown's "Stop" album in 1988.

Hi Lex

I find it interesting to find musicality in improvisations. Do you guys (of Porcupine Tree) ever jam?

yes we do.

Hi siddhant.seth

Recently i purchased mics, but i have no clue about mixing. I mean i sit all day long trying out different stuff. I don't know much about compressors, gates etc but i depend a lot on my drum tuning and my ear. Any suggestions on where to start? And how to tune?

Spend some time hanging out with a good sound engineer and ask them for advice. I learnt a lot of stuff working in studios and just asking questions to engineers. It takes many years to get good at that kind of thing - and I'm still learning. As far as tuning - look at some of the Bob Gatzen videos on YouTube.

Hi Simo

Yes I play on it and (as far as I know) it's finished.

Hi Tarthur

How are the cymbal washers coming up? Or should we say, how's the research going on?

Still working on getting them to market.

Hi cboggs

sometime next year I would think.

Hi LuukMeijwaard

how did you ever get the idea of making a BIGBAND version of that particular song?

It seemed to lend itself very well to the big band arrangement. Sometimes the least obvious songs work out best.

Hi Dane777

My question is how do you go about picking cymbals for a song or even a band? Where did/do you start? Do you start with picking a ride cymbal and build around it's sound or anything like that?

I listen carefully to the song and then I just pick the cymbals that inspire me musically. Obviously there's the aggression of the music to consider - but I have a large collection of Zildjian cymbals and I can always find what I think suits the song just right.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-11-2011, 06:16 PM

Hello Gavin.

Just a little thing about 19 Days (the Rythmic Horizons DVD version). At the very end of the song, when you only hit the crashes, I find that their pitch is very similar to the piano chords and they fit VERY well there. Was that intentional? Did you choose those particular cymbals (or those particular chords) for that reason?

Thanks a lot for your time and for your music. Cheers!

Last edited by Rober; 07-12-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:11 PM

Awesome. Gavin Harrison. I have become obsessed with Porcupine Tree over the last few months. My wife is totally sick of you guys. Haha.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 PM

Hello Mr.Harrison,

I've been trying to learn "Trains" from In Absentia, and i noticed that during the verses you open the hi hat before hitting the snare, after hitting the crash. Is this done with the right or left hand?

Thanks, Shaun
Old 07-16-2011, 07:15 AM

got an exercise for them ghost notes?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 AM

Hey Gavin,

I was just curious to know what earphones/monitors you wear when you are playing?

Cheers, Fraser
Old 07-19-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Bonzo92

Thank you for answering Gavin, anyway I hope it was nice for you listening to it.... that would be enough for me =)

Just another quick question: do you organize any drumming course in England or anywhere, or you just play clinics all around the world? It would really be extraordinary to be your student =)
Old 07-21-2011, 01:09 AM

Hey Gavin! Thanks for the previous response. Now I have just a quick question about the end of your version of the song Dark Matter. I have the Atlanta version and like to play along to it when I'm practicing sometimes, and I'm wondering if there is a specific sticking pattern you use for the end of the song where you play between the ride and your array of bells. That's all for now.

Cheers --Peter
Old 07-21-2011, 02:58 PM

Hi Gavin

I hope you are keeping well?

Two questions if I may.

1) The kit that is seen on the PASIC videos, was that yours or just supplied for the event to your spec as I was interested to know the colour?

2) I am finding that playing the acoustic kit without using in ears or ear protection, is something that is getting harder as I get older.

When you practice, do you always wear in ears and monitor the kit that way or do you listen to the kit's natural sound without ear protection?

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban View Post
Hi Gavin

I hope you are keeping well?

Two questions if I may.

1) The kit that is seen on the PASIC videos, was that yours or just supplied for the event to your spec as I was interested to know the colour?

Hi cuban

Follow this post

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...postcount=3313

greetings
Old 07-21-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Hi cuban

Follow this post

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...postcount=3313

greetings
Excellent, thank you very much for that Gus!
Old 07-22-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi K_HiHats

I was just wondering what it was like to record the song 'Okay' with 05ric, mainly the middle section where you use that crazy, yet amazing RLRRL rudiment of yours. I've recently been listening to it more and more, and the pattern intrigues me. I do have the book (Rhythmic Designs) to explain how to play it, but I was wondering what went into the thought process of recording the pattern?

I was just looking for something fast and chaotic at that point in the song and after searching around for a few minutes I finally found that pattern - played between the ride and bells.

Hi supermac

After watching your latest DVD, I've just started working on Billy Cobham hertas with my feet.The problem is I can only play them really slowly at the moment and only underneath a basic 12/8 ride cymbal/snare groove. My ultimate aim is to play them under a 4/4 groove, much like you do, but this seems a million miles off, which is frustrating as I can nomally master new licks/grooves quite quickly after practice. I wondered if you found mastering hertas with your feet particularly challenging, and if you had any words of advice.

Starting slow is always the best place to begin. Playing them really accurately is much more important than trying to play them fast. When you play them under a 12/8 pattern make sure you try all the starting positions of the two 32nds (hertas are just two 32nds followed by two 16ths). I really like starting the 32nd on the second 16th note of the 12/8 pattern.

Hi Bonzo92

Hi gibeachhead

On that song I'm just playing the rim of the snare drum (almost like a cowbell replacement). I've been using that sound for years - in fact I first remember doing that on Sam Brown's "Stop" album in 1988.

Hi Lex

I find it interesting to find musicality in improvisations. Do you guys (of Porcupine Tree) ever jam?

yes we do.

Hi siddhant.seth

Recently i purchased mics, but i have no clue about mixing. I mean i sit all day long trying out different stuff. I don't know much about compressors, gates etc but i depend a lot on my drum tuning and my ear. Any suggestions on where to start? And how to tune?

Spend some time hanging out with a good sound engineer and ask them for advice. I learnt a lot of stuff working in studios and just asking questions to engineers. It takes many years to get good at that kind of thing - and I'm still learning. As far as tuning - look at some of the Bob Gatzen videos on YouTube.

Hi Simo

Yes I play on it and (as far as I know) it's finished.

Hi Tarthur

Still working on getting them to market.

Hi cboggs

sometime next year I would think.

Hi LuukMeijwaard

It seemed to lend itself very well to the big band arrangement. Sometimes the least obvious songs work out best.

Hi Dane777

My question is how do you go about picking cymbals for a song or even a band? Where did/do you start? Do you start with picking a ride cymbal and build around it's sound or anything like that?

I listen carefully to the song and then I just pick the cymbals that inspire me musically. Obviously there's the aggression of the music to consider - but I have a large collection of Zildjian cymbals and I can always find what I think suits the song just right.

cheers
Gavin
ALL MY QUESTIONS ANSWERED! Thanks Gavin, and everyone else. I didnt have to ask as Dane777 already asked my main question
Old 07-22-2011, 08:15 PM

Default Thanks Gavin!

GuysÖ.I hope this doesnít come across as spammy. If it does, just let me know and Iíll remove this post. Thatís not my intentÖ

I wanted to share this newly minted track with the people on this forum. Gavin played drums on this song and really made it come to life for me. I realize that Iím probably preaching to the choir here, but I just wanted to say that, other than being one of the most creative drummers Iíve ever heard, he is a true professional in every aspect and I canít wait to work with him again.

The song was recorded in my home studio with the exception of Gavinís tracks which he did in his studio in London. The link to my website below will give you access to the full length .wav file for free (right click the song and Save As to your hard drive). If you like it, you can help me do the next one with Gavin by downloading it on iTunes. I have 6 more songs in this series to record. Iím releasing the music under the name Exovex which is nothing more than my solo recording project (not a band).

http://dalesimmons.com/Exovex/

Daylight (Radio Silence Part IV)
is the song title.

A little more info about the song and the project.
http://exovex.com/

Thanks,
Dale
Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

I must ask... how did you get into contact with Gavin to have him do this? This is excellent, and Gavin's playing is masterful as always...

Damn, what I would give to know Gavin was on a project I was part of... although I only play drums, so that would render me useless! :P
Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 PM

Well...honestly, I can say that the people on this forum made it possible. I got in touch with him here. This is one of the reasons I wanted to give the song away here. Itís a bit of a full circle thing for me.

So thanks to you guys also...