DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by szokematyi View Post
What the producer says should be considered as an advice only! You can think about it, but the decision is yours! In my opinion, the final word should be yours every time. I would never allow anyone to force me to do something I'm not comfortable with, but If what he/she says sounds reasonable/logical/etc, you can change your mind. But "just because" the producer wants you to, because he wants more overtones, my answer would be: sorry, but no!
Hey! Thanks for the answer!
Yes, I'm off to say "no - give me other cymbals then"..
But I'm playing for a guy.. So the song is not for me. But in my opinion: If he doesn't like my sound or my cymbals he can give me other cymbals or take another drummer :D

btw: I wanted to know if gavin cleans his cymbals in purpose to get more overtones, not because they look better then..

Thanks anyway!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
Gavin said he would love to but hasn't been asked.
Damn, gotta get the word out then! I know how to get the attention of local venues in possibly getting bands to play there, but I have no idea how to do a similar thing for a drum clinic tour.

Any ideas?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibeachhead View Post
Damn, gotta get the word out then! I know how to get the attention of local venues in possibly getting bands to play there, but I have no idea how to do a similar thing for a drum clinic tour.

Any ideas?
Perhaps start a thread asking people to bombard the corporate offices of Sam Ash & Guitar Center with emails requesting a Clinic Tour by Gavin Harrison?? Anyone else?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 PM

Hello Gavin,
I made a chime like yours about a month ago, but it cracked a few days ago.

Any ideas on how to prevent it from happening again.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntedSnare View Post
Hello Gavin,
I made a chime like yours about a month ago, but it cracked a few days ago.

Any ideas on how to prevent it from happening again.
Hey mate!
Nice work!

Some tips:
The edges need to be smoth and without any little riffles or cracks.. So it takes a long time to grind the edges...
Old 04-30-2011, 03:19 PM

Hi Gavin, I have some question about pocket drumming....Can you tell me what it is? Some friends tell me about it, but I want some more info from a PRO....Are you playing in pocket (In Porcupine Tree you are not playing in pocket because of rhytmic illusions right?)

And one more question. I heard about a machine for practise that makes a click with a bass line and itīs recommended for practicing odd times...I think you mentioned it on your workshop in Germany...do you know something like that? How to practise odd times to make them feel naturally to the drummer?

Old 04-30-2011, 09:31 PM

Hey gavin, can you maybe break down the little filly things that you do in the beat on the GH05 song "crisis"?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuukMeijwaard View Post
Hey gavin, can you maybe break down the little filly things that you do in the beat on the GH05 song "crisis"?
There's a book out with all transcriptions from both GH05 albums.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:12 PM

thanks swissmathias, i think i'll buy the books when payed my drumkit back :)
another question gavin:
how did you make your snaredrum sound so dampened and low on the modern drummer festival gig? i understood you played a 14x5,5 or 14x5, which usually dont produce such a a sound.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:08 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi szokematyi

Is this the one that cracked during one of the recording sessions last year? Or a few years back? (OSI maybe?) The one you've bought from your former teacher I think?

Unfortunately yes.

A question: Have you ever had the chance to see/use/etc. the Roland RMP-5 Rhythm Coach? Anyways, If you know this product, would you recommend it?

I have a Beatnik RA1200 - which does a similar kind of rhythmic and accuracy training. I don't know the Roland one.

Hi janplaysonor

What Shell Material are your toms and bassdrum and how thick are they?!

They are Maple - and the toms are "thin" floor toms are "medium" and the bass drum is "heavy" shell.

Hi sonorplayer

I'll be at the clinic in Dublin. Looking forward to that. Any idea what songs you might be playing?

yes I have a good idea of what songs I'm going to play :-)

Also, I see on the poster it says 'plus full support'. What does that mean? You're gonna have an act on before you?

yes I believe someone is playing before me - but I don't know who it is right now.

Hi K_HiHats

"In Absentia" (although I found somewhere that you used 12 inch Remix hats?),
"

yes I think I did.

Deadwing," "Fear of a Blank Planet" and "Nil Recurring" (should be the same for both right?), plus the song 'Normal' because the hats differ from the rest of Nil Recurring (at least it seems), and "The Incident." Oh! Wait! The 05Ric albums "Drop" and "Circles" too. (I hope that's not too much to ask !?!)

If I remember right they were all 13" K Zildian hi hats.

Also, did you use something else for filming in Tilburg because the sound is different from your normal 13 inch K's on tour (which I have and love thanks to your influence) but the lighting makes it look the same as the K's you normally use on tour (In America).

I have a few pairs of 13" Ks - but they were definitely on all of the shows. Lighting and eq may differ from show to show of course.

Hi Swiss Matthias

I love both kinds of music (groove-oriented, louder playing versus more open, swinging,
abstract, ride cymbal centered playing), but it's so hard to bring it together, so to speak.
Did or do you have similar experience (maybe even now, while on tour say with Porcupine Tree, and playing a jazz gig somewhere in the middle)? If so, how did or do you cope with it?

I love playing both - although I do much less jazz playing these days - and I can feel rusty if I don't keep it up. Basically my thought process is the same for both. I want to find the groove and make the music feel good - and try to play as musical as I can. Some nights are better than others of course - it depends on your mood and amount of concentration.

Hi Metronome

My question: I've played for 13 years, I'm in my late 20's and I don't feel like I've developed enough dexterity in my feet or hands; separating feet from hands, etc. Is there a proven method for accelerating this process? By now I feel like I should be able to play different tempos simultaneously with either limbs.. not the case. Any suggestions?

We're all in the same boat - just at different stages of development. I don't think there's any "accelerated' - short cut method - you just need to practise and listen.

Hi Kalma

Do you clean your cymbals before recording to get more overtones out of them?

No - and I don't think you'll get more overtones out of them by cleaning them - unless they really are incredibly dirty.

Hi HauntedSnare

I made a chime like yours about a month ago, but it cracked a few days ago. Any ideas on how to prevent it from happening again.

yep - don't hit it so hard on the edge. There's so many dents there - it looks like you have really been smashing it like it was a crash cymbal. Also it doesn't look round to start with - so probably it was always going to have some weak areas in it.

Hi mamut

I have some question about pocket drumming....Can you tell me what it is?

it's a confusing term - but what I've always believed it to mean is when someone is playing on the back of the beat and making it feel very relaxed.

Are you playing in pocket (In Porcupine Tree you are not playing in pocket because of rhytmic illusions right?)

sorry I don't understand that question.

I heard about a machine for practise that makes a click with a bass line and itīs recommended for practicing odd times...I think you mentioned it on your workshop in Germany...do you know something like that? How to practise odd times to make them feel naturally to the drummer?

the machine that I had 30 years ago was a Roland TB303 bassline. I managed to program in some odd time bass riffs so I could just jam over it. It didn't have a click. You could make this kind of thing with Logic or Cubase or something similar. Just playing over a riff in an odd time for 30 minutes can make you begin to feel comfortable with that time signature.

Hi LuukMeijwaard

can you maybe break down the little filly things that you do in the beat on the GH05 song "crisis"?

you might like to see the book that I made with Terry Branam called "Rhythmic Designs" it is detailed transcriptions of every song of the first two albums that I made with 05Ric (and of course Crisis is in there).

Hi LuukMeijwaard

how did you make your snaredrum sound so dampened and low on the modern drummer festival gig? i understood you played a 14x5,5 or 14x5, which usually dont produce such a a sound.

it's a 12x5 snare drum.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-30-2011, 11:45 PM

Hello Gavin
Have recently discovered you and your work, and eagerly await your Manchester clinic in June.
Is there any advice regarding practice routines and in particular bass drum/snare syncopation you could give to myself and maybe others who have returned to the throne after a few years?
Many thanks
John

Ps. You are a credit to your profession and an inspiration to us all.

Cheers
Old 05-01-2011, 01:59 AM

Hey Gavin! Before I had wrote the question, I considered the fact it might have been just one pair of hats with different mics on each album. What caused me to think they were different was from a pic on google showing you from one of your first 2 DVDs, and the hats looked different from your normal K's. Plus, he album "Deadwing" just sounded so different from the normal sound of the K's Oh well. At least I have a pair of 13 inch K's, hence my username. I have another question coming, but I feel that if I put it in this box, it'll feel too cluttered. Thanks and Cheers --Peter
Old 05-01-2011, 03:24 AM

And so I reappear over an hour later. I guess you can see that I'm obsessed with the hi hats of a kit. In my opinion, if your hats suck, they're not worth playing, although that seems a bit extremist then again. But the point is: I LOVE HI HATS! So, my next question is about your technique with your hats...

First off, how did you decide to play your ride patterns with some open hi hat in between the hits of the ride? When did you start doing this? Let me say, that was one of the main reasons I got interested with your drumming, however, that list of reasons has further expanded now.

And for slower songs on the ride such as 'Glass Arm Shattering' (my favorite Deadwing track) and 'My Ashes', how did you decide to play those kinds of songs with a hi hat chick on the eighth note before the snare hit, and then later hitting the hi hat while open on the last eighth note of a measure and letting it sustain until the next snare hit? (I hope my description is understandable! This is the best I can describe this stuff.) Plus, is that sort of technique common with other drummers? (Here in the U.S., I've never heard it anywhere else besides from you) Also, when did you start using this technique, although it seems that you started using it somewhere between "In Absentia" and "Deadwing."

Finally, in an unrelated topic, I would like to know what time signature the "odd bell pattern" section of 'What Happens Now' is in? (It's around 5:13 into the song)

Thanks for putting up with my "multi-question posts." I'll try to tone it down from here on.

Cheers --Peter

By the way, just got your book, "Rhythmic Illusions." I'm through page 16 so far and loving it. It feels so good to see your logic behind all of it and to learn about it. 5 Stars!

Last edited by K_HiHats; 05-01-2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:02 AM

Hi Gavin,

i have a question about your rack/micing setup:

I see that you have most of your mics mounted on your rack. Im always bothered with the mic stand forest you get when you closemic everything using mic stands, so i consider it a great idea to mount the mics on the rack. i'm now trying to figure out how to do that the smartest way... how exactly do you mount the mics on the rack? (clamps/stand parts)

Also, do you ever run into problems with unwanted solid-bourne sound travelling through the rack into your mics, and if you use some kind of acoustic decoupling in the way you mount the mics. If im correct, your overheads are mounted on ordinary mic stands, perhaps because of the before mentioned problem?

thanks a lot!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_HiHats View Post
What caused me to think they were different was from a pic on google showing you from one of your first 2 DVDs, and the hats looked different from your normal K's. Plus, he album "Deadwing" just sounded so different from the normal sound of the K's
Quite odd that I'm quoting myself, as I discovered that the picture I was talking about had your 12 inch remix hats in it, as well as any videos from your first two DVDs. Thus, I'm having an "Ah ha!" moment as well as "You idiot." Cheers --Peter
Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi szokematyi

I have a Beatnik RA1200 - which does a similar kind of rhythmic and accuracy training. I don't know the Roland one.
The fact that you have a product like this, means to me, that it's a useful tool. :)

I haven't heard about the Beatnik before, but I've checked it on youtube, etc., and it seems quite nice. Looks like the main(!) differences between the Beatnik and the Roland are:

1. there is an external dual trigger input so you can add a kick and cymbal pad to the Roland (which is great, but no money to buy those, so...)

2. Tunable surface on the Roland (like a standard Roland V-drum head)

3. the option to use the accuracy check and the "same dynamic level for the hits"- thing simultaneously(!) (but this might be on the Beatnik as well, I couldn't figure it out so far! Is it an option on yours?)

Because I don't think I'd use the first, and not sure I'd need the second option, I'm leaning towards the Beatnik. And it's also cheaper! :) But the simultaneous accuracy-dynamic check is really great - and damn important - feature, if it's not on yours, I'm gonna go with the Roland.

So, basically 2 questions:
- Is the simultaneous accuracy-dynamic check available on yours?
- How satisfied are you with it in terms of quality, loudness, feel of the surface during hits, usability of the LCD screen (visuality, how straightforward it is...), etc.?

Thanks again!
Cheers,
Matthew
Old 05-01-2011, 10:13 AM

I mean, if you are playing in pocket....? Or if it matter of how style of music you playing? Are you playing in pocket with Porcupine tree? Thanks :)
Old 05-01-2011, 11:55 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi John T

Is there any advice regarding practice routines and in particular bass drum/snare syncopation you could give to myself and maybe others who have returned to the throne after a few years?

I spent many years going through the systems that you can apply to the Ted Reed book Syncopation. Basically you play some kind of ostinato and then play the syncopation from the book on one or more of your limbs.

Hi K_HiHats

First off, how did you decide to play your ride patterns with some open hi hat in between the hits of the ride? When did you start doing this?

I think I've always done this kind of thing. It was particularly useful during PT ballads. It's just a nice way of embellishing a groove that basically coming from the ride cymbal. I do it whilst playing jazz ride patterns too.

Finally, in an unrelated topic, I would like to know what time signature the "odd bell pattern" section of 'What Happens Now' is in? (It's around 5:13 into the song)

The time signatures at that point (depending on your point of view) are 7/8 and 3/16 (plus there's a guitar playing in 5/8 underneath it initially).

Hi slo77y

I see that you have most of your mics mounted on your rack. i'm now trying to figure out how to do that the smartest way... how exactly do you mount the mics on the rack? (clamps/stand parts)

back in the day I had the official Pearl mic arms and I still use them on my original rack at home in my studio. On my live kit I use the Pearl clamps (PCX-200) and I just chopped off the top of a mic stand to fit into them.

Also, do you ever run into problems with unwanted solid-bourne sound travelling through the rack into your mics, and if you use some kind of acoustic decoupling in the way you mount the mics. If im correct, your overheads are mounted on ordinary mic stands, perhaps because of the before mentioned problem?

Yes the snare mics and overheads are off the rack because of vibration problems on the rack.

Hi szokematyi

So, basically 2 questions:
- Is the simultaneous accuracy-dynamic check available on yours?
- How satisfied are you with it in terms of quality, loudness, feel of the surface during hits, usability of the LCD screen (visuality, how straightforward it is...), etc.?

Yes you can check accuracy and dynamics at the same time. I really like the pad - but it's more like a practise pad - and it has 'that' sound. The unit is well built and has never gone wrong.

Hi mamut

I mean, if you are playing in pocket....? Or if it matter of how style of music you playing? Are you playing in pocket with Porcupine tree?

What I'm referring to is playing the time in a relaxed laid back manner so it doesn't matter what the style of the music is or what the time signature is.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 PM

Hi Gavin,

I just wanted to say how much I love your drumming in everything that your apart of. Porcupine Tree is my favourite band and your my favourite drummer so thanks for making some truly awesome music!

Now the question:

On youtube there are various videos of you playing some very creative and interesting music such as "Slipping Away" and also the song you play at the end of your set on the 2008 Modern Drummer DVD. Both of these are amazing but I was wondering if they are apart of some sort of CD? Are they your own composition or are they covers? Are they available for purchase from anywhere?

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:57 AM

Hi Gavin!

I was wondering if I can get my hands on a full tanscription of The Sound Of Muzak. I've been searching for a while and have had no luck.

Thanks, Bob Zegers
Old 05-02-2011, 02:40 AM

Gavin, thank you so much for your detailed answer! I'm really appreciating that you are so kind to answer all these questions, although im pretty sure you have heard some of them a thousend times :D

Yes the snare mics and overheads are off the rack because of vibration problems on the rack.

I suppose thats because your snare isn't gated opposed to the toms, which means when you're playin a fill on the toms, the vibration in the open snare mic cause problems? That would mean when i dont want to use gates at all (which holds true for some sections of our songs), placing mics on the rack would not really pay off in the studio,... is that correct?

Also, my guitarist would like to know the time signature for "No Twilight In The Courts Of The Sun" (on Insurgentes by Steven Wilson). He already knows that the riff is 21/8 long, but he wants to know if there are any more subdivisions like 10/8 + 11/8 or something like that.
He even asked Tony Levin at a concert when Stick Men supported Porcupine Tree in Germany, but all he basically said was that he never counts and to ask you :).

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 AM

Hi Gavin,

Here's my first question: Keith Jarret once said that you can find a world class jazz pianist, a world class classical pianist, but that it is extremely rare to find a pianist who is both at the same time. He sait it has to do with the way the brain is wired. (or maybe rewired, lol).
Do you think this applies to drummers too, whether in terms of styles or in the case of a very recognisable musical identity?
Now the groupie question: How many sets of gav bells do you have, and do you carry a second one with you on tour in case the one you use is broken?
Wishing you all the best for your clinic tour.

Cheers
Old 05-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo77y View Post
Also, my guitarist would like to know the time signature for "No Twilight In The Courts Of The Sun" (on Insurgentes by Steven Wilson). He already knows that the riff is 21/8 long, but he wants to know if there are any more subdivisions like 10/8 + 11/8 or something like that.
He even asked Tony Levin at a concert when Stick Men supported Porcupine Tree in Germany, but all he basically said was that he never counts and to ask you :).
I asked this some time ago,

Quote:
Hi Sjogras

I have a question regarding "No twilight within the courts of the sun". I counted it to 21/8, hope thats correct. During most of the song I find that following the bassline helps alot to keep time, but how do you keep time during the piano solo?

I counted like this: 2 bars of 4/4 + 1 quarter note and then 2 dotted 8th notes.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:00 AM

Hey Gavin! Just wanna say thanks for the previous response. I just feel like saying this: when I first tried to play 'Glass Arm Shattering,' I basically over-analyzed the whole concept of the "one chick before the snare hit" thinking it was something way different. To explain that mediocracy of mine, I basically had the idea that one was supposed to chick the hi hat every time one played a ride pattern. Thanks to videos of you playing, my techniques for playing slow patterns like 'Glass Arm Shattering' was saved. Let me just ask, do you think you ever over-analyze stuff at times when you don't need to, Because I seem to do that quite a lot unfortunately. Or is that a good thing?

The other questions I wanted to ask were: when did you get interested in double bass type stuff? And when did you start using the cobra clutch in your drumming? It really seems pretty important to you like for songs such as 'Open Car' during the double bass section (my favorite part!), and 'Fear of a Blank Planet' is a song that you definitely use it on, I'm sure. And finally, would you say that you use your cobra clutch or your drop clutch more?

Thanks for the response ahead of time.

Cheers --Peter
Old 05-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Silver Member

Hey Gavin
Are you doing Weckl's drum fantasy camp - I thought I read on another forum that you were asked but declined.

If so thats pretty sweet!
You, Weckl and Coleman is a crazy hot lineup....
Old 05-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Hi Gavin, Just a quick question. I was wondering, and i understand the logistical difficulty, if there is absolutely any possibility of a clinic tour in australia?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:54 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin, I have a question about your signature snare... It might have been asked before, and I apologize if it has.

Anyway, I really dig the snare sound in this video. I was wondering if this sound is a result of EQing and other computer programming, or if this is a common sound quality among 12x5 (and similar sized) drums.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2011, 10:24 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Tom Lawton101

On youtube there are various videos of you playing some very creative and interesting music such as "Slipping Away" and also the song you play at the end of your set on the 2008 Modern Drummer DVD. Both of these are amazing but I was wondering if they are apart of some sort of CD? Are they your own composition or are they covers? Are they available for purchase from anywhere?

I've never released these songs on CD. The tune from the MD Fest is called "Quite Firm" by Laurence Cottle and is on my DVD Rhythmic Visions. Slippin' Away is written by David Paich - and originally played by Jeff Porcaro. My version of it is on the DVD Rhythmic Horizons.

Hi Zegers

I was wondering if I can get my hands on a full tanscription of The Sound Of Muzak. I've been searching for a while and have had no luck.

I believe someone has transcribed this piece - but I'm not sure where it is.

Hi slo77y

I suppose thats because your snare isn't gated opposed to the toms, which means when you're playin a fill on the toms, the vibration in the open snare mic cause problems? That would mean when i dont want to use gates at all (which holds true for some sections of our songs), placing mics on the rack would not really pay off in the studio,... is that correct?

I don't use any gates on the toms when I'm recording them. Sometimes the compression on the snare mic tends to exaggerate the shock through the rack.

Hi Slike...

Here's my first question: Keith Jarret once said that you can find a world class jazz pianist, a world class classical pianist, but that it is extremely rare to find a pianist who is both at the same time. He sait it has to do with the way the brain is wired. (or maybe rewired, lol).
Do you think this applies to drummers too, whether in terms of styles or in the case of a very recognisable musical identity?

sorry I don't really understand this question.

Now the groupie question: How many sets of gav bells do you have, and do you carry a second one with you on tour in case the one you use is broken?

I have two sets. The ones that I made myself (that stay at home) and the ones that Zildjian made for me that I now take on tour.

Hi K_HiHats

Let me just ask, do you think you ever over-analyze stuff at times when you don't need to, Because I seem to do that quite a lot unfortunately. Or is that a good thing?

That's a hard question. I have of course analysed some things when I felt it necessary - I guess it depends if you think it's really necessary or not.

The other questions I wanted to ask were: when did you get interested in double bass type stuff? And when did you start using the cobra clutch in your drumming? It really seems pretty important to you like for songs such as 'Open Car' during the double bass section (my favorite part!), and 'Fear of a Blank Planet' is a song that you definitely use it on, I'm sure. And finally, would you say that you use your cobra clutch or your drop clutch more?

I was interested in double bass drumming from when I was about 17/18 years old. The Cobra Clutch didn't come along until about five years ago. With the songs Open Car and FOABP - I just use the drop clutch. I tend to reserve the Cobra Clutch for the tightly closed hi hat position. Songs like "Mother & Child Divided" or some of the fills in "Anesthetize" and "Bonnie The Cat".

Hi LinearDrummer

Are you doing Weckl's drum fantasy camp - I thought I read on another forum that you were asked but declined.

Yes I will be there!!

Hi Hurlza

Just a quick question. I was wondering, and i understand the logistical difficulty, if there is absolutely any possibility of a clinic tour in australia?

very little chance at the moment.

Hi daredrummer

Anyway, I really dig the snare sound in this video. I was wondering if this sound is a result of EQing and other computer programming, or if this is a common sound quality among 12x5 (and similar sized) drums.

there is some light audio processing on that snare drum. I do like the Sonor 12 x 5 snares - but I do use a lot of other different snares too.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-08-2011, 11:43 PM

Hey Gavin! I actually thought it was the other way around with your cobra clutch and drop clutch. Well, another mystery solved! Thanks for the response.

So now a question about that: basically, for songs like 'Open Car' and FOABP, you're just bashing the daylight out of the hi hats to get the same slosh effect as when you have your foot on the pedal and lighten up a bit on your foot's grip to get the slosh, right? It's hard to tell from any video because you normally seem to hit pretty hard already for those types of patterns normally.

Now another quick one: what is it that you are doing in the last section of 'Cheating the Polygraph' ? (It's my current favorite song to play) It's around 6:50 in or so, that little last part. It's just something that bugs me every time I play it, and from the DVD standpoint, I sort of have an idea (it has something to do with your side snare, I think) but I think it would be better if you explain it.

Thanks for all the help since I've joined! (and that time was last month so...) This has been great so far! Just felt like saying that.

Cheers --Peter

Last edited by K_HiHats; 05-09-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:31 AM

Hi-

Have you had any experience with the ZIldjian K Custom Hybrid line of cymbals? I thought I had seen a Hybrid crash of some sort on a recent picture of your kit. What did you think of them?

Regards,

John Heckathorn
Old 05-09-2011, 10:36 AM

Hey Gavin,

Lots of helpful information in here, thanks for talking to us!

I recently found out Remo came out with a new bass drum head, the Powerstroke Pro I believe it is. I was just wondering if you'd tried it yet or were planning to, and if you have what your opinion was on it. I'm contemplating switching to it from my Powerstroke 3.

Thanks a lot, wish I could catch a clinic of yours!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:11 PM

Hey Gavin,

I visited your last PT concert in Berlin at the Admiralspalast (nice gig by the way) and I couldn't resist to buy your selfmade chime which is broken unfortunately. But I'd like to know if your really played it and from what kind of cymbal it was made. Inside the bell 20" is written so I think it was a Ride once.

My second question is if there is any possibility to get some PT Playalongs.

Greetings from Berlin
Old 05-09-2011, 07:30 PM

Zegers: You can find a full transcription of The Sound of Muzak (which appeared in Modern Drummer) here: http://www.jkdrumsolutions.com/. There's some other great transcriptions as well (including Blackest Eyes, Futile, and Cheating the Polygraph). They are worth the money.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

some time ago you were asked about your Overhead-position.

If I remember right, you said you have them behind you as they were extensions of your ear.
So I guess, they are in a Y-Position?
Like in this picutre, just behind you?
http://recording.easylabs.de/_files/.../09/itpd13.jpg

Thanks very much!
David
Old 05-10-2011, 02:47 PM

Hi Kalma!

How did the studio-thing worked out? I think Gavin's reply was more than helpful about the "clean cymbal-more overtones-eager beaver producer" stuff.

(Sorry Gavin and everyone for hijacking the forum, I promise it's only temporary!) ;)
Old 05-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szokematyi View Post
Hi Kalma!

How did the studio-thing worked out? I think Gavin's reply was more than helpful about the "clean cymbal-more overtones-eager beaver producer" stuff.

(Sorry Gavin and everyone for hijacking the forum, I promise it's only temporary!) ;)
hey! It's on 28th of May, and I won't let them clean my cymbals! I told them they should give me other cymbals or let my cymbals as they are... I'll let you hear the end-result ;)
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Hi
Dear Gavin,

Hope you are fine.

You are arrange the Gain of your microphones for high level and Maximum peak without attention the leakage or use the best Gain for Minimum leakage and use the ambiance sound on your mix in your studio?

Are you using the online compressors for recording or recording the raw sound then use it in your studio?

Thank you,
Ramtin HajatDoost
Tehran - Iran
Old 05-12-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
Hi Gavin,

some time ago you were asked about your Overhead-position.

If I remember right, you said you have them behind you as they were extensions of your ear.
So I guess, they are in a Y-Position?
Like in this picutre, just behind you?
http://recording.easylabs.de/_files/.../09/itpd13.jpg

Thanks very much!
David
Bump +1

I too would love to know the answer to this question.
@Kalma, I read that post as well and was scratching my head; is it X/Y or ORTF(the image you posted). I have found that X/Y produces a very narrow stereo image, and can sound a bit flat. With the wide sound Gavin achieves I would imagine it has to be either ORTF or maybe..spaced A/B(as his live engineer uses)? Not to mention all the other variables.(Which you all know if you are interested in this post; I hope)

I will stop guessing and leave this to the master! As always thanks for all your inspiration, help with questions and extreme influence(positive) on my music playing and production.

Cheers!

P.S.
Gavin I picked up a pair of AT4050's which I believe you have/do at times use live and I love them! Thank you for the input...Always very, very appreciated!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:39 PM

Hello!

1st and foremost thanks for the great chat, jokes and teachings in Cavernago and at
Merula's (the sound was killer at Merula's): you really don't hold back any precious info, thank you! (too nice to hear you play the Meshuggah "bleed" riff).

1. In your studio drumset you got Your inside bassdrum mic hanging in the middle.
Is the inside pillow out of the way between the impact area
of the beater and the mic? In case the pillow was on the way does it affect the transient?

2. I've read on a manual that in order to choose the best place for the drumset in a
room you have to go around with a floor tom and play it until you find the sweet spot
because the floor tom is the hardest thing to get a good sound from. What did you
do for chosing the rite place of your drumset as a starting point in your studio?

3. What card do u use on your mac to speak with your Rosetta's?

4. Talking with u about the famous PAINT CAN INSIDE THE BASS DRUM a la Simon Phillips it suddenly reminded me of the water bottle trick for the sub. Plus it reminded me of how bass traps work. So the whole thing should come from treating a bass drum in a similar way we do for listening rooms i.e. we play with frequency responses of different object to change the response of the room. Am i rite? :)

Thanks as usual.
Stefano

Last edited by steste50; 05-20-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: pic deleted for personal privacy problems
Old 05-13-2011, 04:21 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin, I just ordered your Rhythmic Horizons and Rhythmic Visions DVDs, I can't WAIT for them to arrive. I'm sure that they'll immediately consume a week of my life. I'm excited!