Different Teaching Techniques

DBB

Hello everyone!

I searched the forums, and didn't really see anything that related to this topic...

I'm about to purchase my first drum kit, and start to take lessons. I have been talking to different drum teachers in my area, and I'm coming up confused on teaching techniques. When I was younger, I took Piano/Organ lessons for 8 years, so I'm aware for the whole process (for that instrument anyway)

the first question I asked all of the potential 'teachers' was Where do you start a brand new student?

Two teachers basically said they start new drummers off playing whatever songs they want to play.

The third said that he basically starts off with 2 books (Basic Dumming, and Syncopation) a practice pad, and sticks - that his students don't touch a kit right away.

I can see the advantages of the 3rd teacher - stick work, rhythm, learning the fundamentals. All of which I want to learn - I think that having a solid foundation would make me a better player in the long run, plus I think it's easier to avoid picking up bad habits that way. However, I want to be a drummer, not a pad player, and I think I would get bored quickly if I couldn't make some kind of noise :)

I am asking you... the great and wise drummers who frequent this forum. What are your thoughts on these two teaching techniques? Does simply learning to play along with your favorite songs songs actually teach you to be a drummer, or is that more along the lines of just copying what someone else has done?

Sorry for the long first post :D

Hello everyone!

I searched the forums, and didn't really see anything that related to this topic...

I'm about to purchase my first drum kit, and start to take lessons. I have been talking to different drum teachers in my area, and I'm coming up confused on teaching techniques. When I was younger, I took Piano/Organ lessons for 8 years, so I'm aware for the whole process (for that instrument anyway)

the first question I asked all of the potential 'teachers' was Where do you start a brand new student?

Two teachers basically said they start new drummers off playing whatever songs they want to play.

The third said that he basically starts off with 2 books (Basic Dumming, and Syncopation) a practice pad, and sticks - that his students don't touch a kit right away.

I can see the advantages of the 3rd teacher - stick work, rhythm, learning the fundamentals. All of which I want to learn - I think that having a solid foundation would make me a better player in the long run, plus I think it's easier to avoid picking up bad habits that way. However, I want to be a drummer, not a pad player, and I think I would get bored quickly if I couldn't make some kind of noise :)

I am asking you... the great and wise drummers who frequent this forum. What are your thoughts on these two teaching techniques? Does simply learning to play along with your favorite songs songs actually teach you to be a drummer, or is that more along the lines of just copying what someone else has done?

Sorry for the long first post :D

I cannot speak for others, but I usually base my lessons upon a student's personality. If a new student would obviously tire of rudiments on a pad, I will not do too much of it because I cannot teach a student who no longer comes to class. If however the student is serious and really wants to learn properly, then yes, rudiments on a snare drum or pad is at the top of my list.

The practice pad is a tool. It will not turn one into a "pad player". In fact I believe this concept is non existent. I have never met a pad player. I've met drummers who used the pad in order to better their drumming technique. I have certainly worked many hours on the pad. And do not regret it. The two best friends a drummer can have IMO are the metronome and the drum pad.

I began teaching the way I began, by learning the rudiments. However it soon became apparent that not every student had the patience to work, to my mind properly. Many wanted to be instant drummers, just add water kind of thing. "Teach me a song". A real ignorant "beginner's" attitude. Not their fault as they were after all beginners. So I had to change. I was complimented by the school's manager on this. It was hard for me at first but over time I got better at slipping in technique when the student least expected it.
;-)

I don't think there is any one approach to teaching. Perhaps the most important thing is the clear communication of ideas.

I would love to start every student on the pad. Sadly I do not have this luxury.

Two teachers basically said they start new drummers off playing whatever songs they want to play...

How do they teach you any song you want to play? By ear?

While developing one's ear is something that is very important, I would suggest that just "playing songs" leaves many gaps in playing. The student should know correct technique, so when the songs get faster, the student will be able to keep up without string him/herself. Also, the student should know the basic note values that make up the song, which is gained through study of books such as Syncopation.

I usually start each lesson on the snare drum/drum pad. This is where we focus on reading and technique. Then we go to mallet percussion (if the student is in school band), and then to drum set where we focus on coordination, styles, and chart reading.

It sounds like the third teacher, while not starting drum set right away, has more of a plan than the other teachers. If you want someone to show you a few beats to songs, find a friend who plays drums and get that information for free. If you are paying someone, they should have a balanced lesson plan and goals for you.

Let me say that you are very smart for asking those questions of these teachers. So many people just put blind faith in someone because he/she teaches at a music store or studio.

That's my opinion.

Jeff

Last edited:
When I was younger, I took Piano/Organ lessons for 8 years, so I'm aware for the whole process (for that instrument anyway)

Think about going for piano lessons and just playing whatever songs you wanted. It seems ridiculous. But shouldn't it be just as silly for drum teachers to do such a thing? When you took lessons, you probably learned to read notes, played scales, and learned songs. Those songs were not just random. They were progressive, many times using the techniques that you were working on at the time. Why would you not teach another instrument in the same way?

Hello DBB!

First off... you're asking the right questions. The more informed you are the better equipped you are going to be in order to develop properly.

Personally, whenever I give lessons I start on the basics of grip, technique and notation on the snare drum along with a metronome. I also instruct the student to alternate thier hands on leading strokes. I spend roughly 15 minutes on the information and if the student has it down I transition that specific lesson to the entire kit in order to broaden and deepen thier understanding of its application.

Even if it's only quarters, eighths and sixteenths in a 4/4, I still transition it to the entire kit even on the first lesson if the student is capable. I aid the student in applying it to the kit in anyway he desires while I monitor time, technique and make the needed corrections as he is playing.

I don't necessarily feel that there is one specific way to teach. But, I do feel strongly about teaching fundamentals before teaching entire songs. There is nothing wrong with teaching songs that a student wants to learn to play, but it shouldn't be done at the expense or lack of basic fundamentals.

Good luck!

Well, I think you all pretty much followed my thinking. I can remember spending hours and hours on scales and basic chord progression, finger position and such when I took lessons before. While the actual skills to learn are different, the concept is really about learning the fundamentals.

I was leaning heavily towards teacher #3 from the start, but your input has made that decision very easy and comfortable for me.

Thanks so much for your replies - it's nice to know there is such a supportive and knowledgeable community who is willing to share knowledge and experience with noobies such as myself. I look forward to the day that I too have something that I can give back to it!

Blair

Thanks so much for your replies - it's nice to know there is such a supportive and knowledgeable community who is willing to share knowledge and experience with noobies such as myself. I look forward to the day that I too have something that I can give back to it!

Blair

You're welcome Blair. Please keep us up to date on your progress. We have seen many new drummers with no experience end up playing well, some of them with full time gigs... but they took lessons seriously and persevered through the rough parts.

Speaking of giving back to the forum... you already are. There will be new drummers who read through this thread you created and immediately learn to not necessarily trust any Tom, Dick or Harry simply because he instructs at a music shop and the key factors to look for in an instructor. Good job.

See ya around.

But, I do feel strongly about teaching fundamentals before teaching entire songs. There is nothing wrong with teaching songs that a student wants to learn to play, but it shouldn't be done at the expense or lack of basic fundamentals.

Good luck!

I've made this mistake in the past.

Ironically, I have lost more students for teachng them the fundamentals then I have for teaching them a song. That was why I switched and started with songs; but I found that a student who is interested will stay with the program, and those that leave because they're not playing The Who or AC/DC after the first lesson are going to be difficult down the line anyway.

I have a boy now with CP and he just loves to play snare drum. Somedays when he is good, we can learn six beats on the set, other days he has a hard time with one. We sit there the whole half hour, sometimes an hour, reading basic rhythms and he loves it. He is a drummer. I just feel that if you don't love playing rhythms, you should take up soccer or something.

I agree whole-heartedly though, that if you don't give the student what he wants, he will leave. And if you are working at a store, your first obligation is to the store. A good teacher will learn how to bend the curriculum to suit the individual student, and sometimes, getting the student to do something you want him to do is more you feeling good, then the student feeling good. It is important to remember that when you teach, you are not just teaching rudiments and rhythms. you are teaching people how to be successful at something, and what success really means.

I've made this mistake in the past.

Ironically, I have lost more students for teachng them the fundamentals then I have for teaching them a song. That was why I switched and started with songs; but I found that a student who is interested will stay with the program, and those that leave because they're not playing The Who or AC/DC after the first lesson are going to be difficult down the line anyway.

I have a boy now with CP and he just loves to play snare drum. Somedays when he is good, we can learn six beats on the set, other days he has a hard time with one. We sit there the whole half hour, sometimes an hour, reading basic rhythms and he loves it. He is a drummer. I just feel that if you don't love playing rhythms, you should take up soccer or something.

I agree whole-heartedly though, that if you don't give the student what he wants, he will leave. And if you are working at a store, your first obligation is to the store. A good teacher will learn how to bend the curriculum to suit the individual student, and sometimes, getting the student to do something you want him to do is more you feeling good, then the student feeling good. It is important to remember that when you teach, you are not just teaching rudiments and rhythms. you are teaching people how to be successful at something, and what success really means.

Yes Ken, I do agree with what you say. While I do feel strongly about the issue, sometimes it needs to be adjusted in order to get the fire going for the student. Each student is different and at times the curriculum needs to be taylored to the individual more than having a set routine. A good teacher should be able to do that without any trouble. If one plans on being an instructor they need to be able to adapt quickly in order to get the lesson across in manner that is informative and fun for the student. I have had to do this myself plenty of times. There is always going to be occasions where the set plan gets joggled around. As teachers we need expect it and be ready for it while not pigeon-holing ourselves into a corner that we can't get out of.

for my students i have a basic idea of how i'd go about things.

the main focus is understanding where they want to go with their playing and then helping them get there.

i think good hand and foot technique and posture are important. so they don't hurt themselves and play relaxed through their whole playing.

i encourage them to listen to a lot of music, from day one, and try to play what they hear.

i start with syncopation, after explaining the hows of technique. and then go through a lot of grooves. i do help with learning songs, but its more once they have a certain amount of understanding that they could play along to a song comfortably. even if at the beginning its just, play this one groove for the verse, this for the chorus on the cymbal, and do this fill instead of "&^%&^$&'(implying some profoundly intense mega fill) fill on the recording.
i often ask, what do you think the drum part is?then make changes to what they think is, if i need to.

i teach more to help them teach themselves songs. so i go into understanding different drum grooves and styles, so when they listen to those kind of songs they hear and comprehend more and over time only need me for perhaps a certain section, complex groove, or a few fills.

i found if you play a little bit for them, they usually just listen and do what you ask of them. and if your clear about the reasons they're learning certain basic techniques, or reading in syncopation, they go along with it.

Back