Double Bass Pedals are the Devils Work!

i just think people take this stuff way too seriously and i don't like arguing on the internet... the faceless arguments where you have no idea of the context of where the person is coming from... you could be arguing about the merits of something with a 12 year old who has no musical foundation yet or matured tastes but is adamant at correcting you... not saying that has happened on this thread or not but it happens

For the most part, I dispise the Metal where the drummers play the constant 32nd notes for nearly an entire song. It's not creative, it's not special, it's not entertaining. It's become a competition to a lot of people who can play double bass faster... My question is, who cares?

My band does a song, and at the end of it we cut loose. I blast beat on the China and snare while playing 32nds on the kick for the last few bars of the song. We do it for the soul purpose of MOCKING that sort of music.

i just think people take this stuff way too seriously and i don't like arguing on the internet... the faceless arguments where you have no idea of the context of where the person is coming from... you could be arguing about the merits of something with a 12 year old who has no musical foundation yet or matured tastes but is adamant at correcting you... not saying that has happened on this thread or not but it happens

Granted... but a forum is to discuss various topics, with different opinions than ours to generate a rewarding discussion, if we all had the same opinions and same tastes it would be utterly boring, isn't it, as for argumentative posts between members, it takes two to argue...

I'm not arguing, just saying... I love this forum :)

My question is, who cares?

All those drummers who play this type of music, all their band mates and all their fans.

For the most part, I dispise the Metal where the drummers play the constant 32nd notes for nearly an entire song. It's not creative, it's not special, it's not entertaining. It's become a competition to a lot of people who can play double bass faster... My question is, who cares? (...)
Is it not (creative, special, entertaining)? One opinion vs. another.
(Personally, I don't want to listen to a whole album being in shuffle feel - now is that creative or what? - or having some other 'strict' rules - and there are certain rules/guidelines/cliches in every genre.)

Many times those fast/massive double bass parts are there... to actually fit the music/context. Anything else/less would take away the intended energy. It's not blues, it's not jazz, it's not swing... sorry, sometimes a good amount of double bass is the way to go. Doesn't have to please everybody.

+1 what MAD said.

Ive been following this thread without voicing my opinion until now...I just read Sticks Easy's comments about mocking blastbeats, and it kinda got me po'd. If you hate something SOOOOO much, why? Why bother "mocking" it in your bands music? Obviously you like SOMETHING about it, otherwise, you wouldnt have wasted your time(according to you) writing a section in your beloved music to not leave a section out. Am I right? You dont see any metal guys throwing jazz parts, or blues parts in a metal song to mock that type of music, do you? Im a metal drummer, and I have nothing but respect for jazz drummers/blues drummers/rudimental drummers. Know why? Because I cant play jazz, blues, and only know 3 or 4 rudiments. Plain and simple. And just remember: Mockery is the most sincere form of flattery...

Ok, my 0.02c....

I use a double bass pedal. I rely on it more than I probably should. I'm not in a metal band, I play classic rock and do a fair bit of session playing. The first bits of gear I owned were a drum stool, a practice pad on a stand and a double pedal, so I was inclined to play with 2 feet for the kick work.

For me it's about options. It's the same as splash cymbals, more than 1 crash, chinas, extra drums, percussion or anything else. There are some fills (6 16th note triplets over a beat and finishing on a snare and cymbal for example) that simply can't be played with 1 foot. Sometimes I'll need to do fast triplets or quads on my feet while my hands do other stuff. It's a simple case of I'd rather have to option of that fill than not.

I don't mindlessly fill every second of music with blistering kicks on every song I play, partly because my skills are limited in that, and partly because it just wouldn't sound right. It's all about placement for me. Some of the coolest grooves and fills I play revolve around making my left foot work for me, mostly on a kick drum.

Still, I know a lot of players, especially around here, who don't go near them. It's horses for courses. If you like it, go for it, if you prefer not, then that's cool too. It's the diversity in drummers such as this one that gives us so many varied styles grooves and fills to enjoy!

Ive been following this thread without voicing my opinion until now...I just read Sticks Easy's comments about mocking blastbeats, and it kinda got me po'd. If you hate something SOOOOO much, why? Why bother "mocking" it in your bands music? Obviously you like SOMETHING about it, otherwise, you wouldnt have wasted your time(according to you) writing a section in your beloved music to not leave a section out. Am I right? You dont see any metal guys throwing jazz parts, or blues parts in a metal song to mock that type of music, do you? Im a metal drummer, and I have nothing but respect for jazz drummers/blues drummers/rudimental drummers. Know why? Because I cant play jazz, blues, and only know 3 or 4 rudiments. Plain and simple. And just remember: Mockery is the most sincere form of flattery...

Im sorry to rain on the parade, but Bitchslap/Do Nothing by Slipknot totally has not a Jazz and a Disco section in it. It's on Mate, Kill, Feed, Repeat...

Sorry!!!!

Some people get so sensative about the smallest things. Why should it matter what type of pedal someone uses, as long as they play well. I use a dw 5000 single and it suits me fine. I would like a double pedal, but its not worth twice the money to me because most of what I want to do can be done with a 5000. I don't see why you would want to bash a bunch of people for going with double, or going single for that matter. I would put my single 5000 against some of the wannabe metal drummers with their sound percussion double pedal, and be very confident about the outcome. It isn't the pedal, it is the drummer. I know I am not on the level of many drummers on here, but at the same time I don't base my playing on a 12 piece set with 20 cymbals and a double pedal. I play a four piece and right now have a crash and a ride. I am not bashing people with big sets. I am talking about the attitude of not really being a good drummer just trying to cover their mistakes with a ton of hitting. Again, it is nothing against anyone with double kick or big setups,if that is your style go for it, but if you don't know how to play the drums then learn how to play before you go embarress yourself trying to be cool.

Back