New York Times on the Next Five Big Jazz Drummers

Excellent article! Thank you very much for posting this! It will certainly be interesting to follow those five drummers and see where they end up in a couple of years.

Interesting article. But the guys he'd mentioned in his 1999 article haven't become really big, either. There's just so many good players out there and just not only in New York. The author should maybe change his titling to The Next Five I Think Everybody Should Like. ;)

Fantastic, Robert thanks for sharing! Adding referencing for added pleasure.

Funny, I was talking about the new young turks in jazz drumming some threads backs, and here they are!! They have a similarity amongst themselves , to my ears-- almost like they grew up with the same teachers, but Justin Faulker is the one EVERYONE is talking about...

Fantastic, Robert thanks for sharing! Adding referencing for added pleasure.

Funny, I was talking about the new young turks in jazz drumming some threads backs, and here they are!! They have a similarity amongst themselves , to my ears-- almost like they grew up with the same teachers, but Justin Faulker is the one EVERYONE is talking about...

Yeah, I know--and Faulkner is 18 (frickin' 18!!) and was chosen by Branford to replace Tain Watts in his group. At 18 years old!!! That's pretty amazing. It is like when Miles pick Tony at age 17 for his super group.

Interesting article. But the guys he'd mentioned in his 1999 article haven't become really big, either. There's just so many good players out there and just not only in New York. The author should maybe change his titling to The Next Five I Think Everybody Should Like. ;)

Well, Ratliff was right about noting Eric Harland back in his 1999 article, I believe. Harland has been one of the premiere jazz drummers of the 2000s, in my opinion. He's fulfilled a lot of his promise.

But I agree that such articles are a bit difficult and biased because there are so many amazing players these days: Clarence Penn, Brian Blade, Ari Hoenig, Neal Smith just to name a few. One of my supremo favs is Matt Wilson--fantastic player, composer, arranger!

Yeah, I know--and Faulkner is 18 (frickin' 18!!) and was chosen by Branford to replace Tain Watts in his group. At 18 years old!!! That's pretty amazing. It is like when Miles pick Tony at age 17 for his super group.

Right you are sir. Just ran into some heavy cats who are playing the abstract logix festival in NC later this month, and they cant stop talking about him. You said it - Tony, the Second Coming?! ( At least Jeff Sipe thinks so )

Last edited:
I remember seeing justin on youtube on some show three years ago, and I was impressed back then, now I'm just flabergasted! The guy is probably no more than 7 or 8 months older than me.....got some catching up to do! The way he plays his ride cymbal he reminds me of elvin jones, even the way he sits!

Anyone alse notice that Dan Weiss is wearing a meshugah shirt while laying down some jazz? That's tight

Hey thanks a lot for this, I'm really not heavily into jazz drummers (well, I don't really follow it, I'm a bit of a moron), but this is interesting. I shall peruse these drummers this evening.

Back