When you're having a bad night...

Zero Mercury Drummer

Let's say your day wasn't so great. You had a flat tire and your paycheck didn't clear. We've all had that gig where you're not feeling it. At the gig that night, you are uninspired. Your attempts at musical greatness leave you frustrated. The crowd seems bored.

Do you
a. Gnash your teeth, buckle down and go for the greatness in spite of it all!
b. Cut your losses, settle in and get through it with a pared-down performance?

It's not black and white like that to me. I'm of the mind that whatever comes out that night, that's what you get, oh well. There's no taking it back lol. If I'm feeling bad, playing music is the antidote. Sometimes I do admit I just feel off, but that's all part of this human experience we're all having. If it's any consolation, nights where I felt off or just strange...the recording came out better than I was expecting. Most crap exists in a person's head. That's why I record everything, to compare how I felt with how it came out.

I always try to do my best when playing. Playing drums in public is the only real chance I get to use my skills.....that I pour so much time, money and energy into. I do live for the live gig. So yea, I play for the music. If the people are into it, even better. But it's not a requirement. There's no denying that an audience involved in a band's show can push that band to greater places. But I'm lucky to be able to play with the band I'm in, because the leader is just my musical hero. So any chance to play with him is a treat for me.

We use a sax player on gigs that pay more, and this guy can be really great or just meh, and everywhere in between. It's all about the ratio of guys to girls. If it's all girls, the guy is friggin great. Really friggin great to listen to. If it's all guys, he's a snore. That to me sucks. He has no musical responsibility, he just rolls over the entire road we lay for him. The least he could do is "bring it" when he does a solo....even if it's all guys.

Don't sweat it. 95% of it is in your head and only you feel it.

It happens to all of us from time to time. We are only human and we don't always perform up to our full potential.
Just take it in stride and move on.

Sometimes that kind of day can translate into great gigs. One time I had a horrible day and then my car (which I'd just gotten back from the shop) broke down on the way home from work to pick up my drums. One of my bandmates hopped in his truck, helped me push it into a Safeway parking lot, and we drove like hell to my house to get my drums and get to the gig. At the gig, it turned out we'd all had a crummy day... and resolved right then and there to play ANGRY and get it out. Later, some of our fans said it was the craziest show we'd ever played.

So you never know, a bad day can be good for it too!

Sometimes that kind of day can translate into great gigs. One time I had a horrible day and then my car (which I'd just gotten back from the shop) broke down on the way home from work to pick up my drums. One of my bandmates hopped in his truck, helped me push it into a Safeway parking lot, and we drove like hell to my house to get my drums and get to the gig. At the gig, it turned out we'd all had a crummy day... and resolved right then and there to play ANGRY and get it out. Later, some of our fans said it was the craziest show we'd ever played.

So you never know, a bad day can be good for it too!

Ain't that the truth. I'm glad you said that Al. A little anger can definitely propel one onstage to something better. So can fear lol. Thanks for reminding me of that. I haven't played angry...or scared... since the 80's, in phase 1 of my hike.

But back on topic of a bad night, and what to do, I can't help of think of the line, if you have to swallow a turd, don't chew on it.

I have always tried to treat every night like my worst critic was in the front row. But the longer you gig, the more nights in a row, you are bound to have "an I don't give a crap night". Then there are nights when you have every intention of having a great playing night and it just won't happen. Either your brain is not functioning 100%, someone else in the band is having a worse night and is distracting, something goes snaky with the room/sound and stuff just does not sound or feel right.
But at the end of the night, it is over, no one made a "live from the Drudge" album and the bad night is gone with the wind, move on, play better tomorrow.

I have found that being on stage is my release. Whatever happened leading up to the show goes away the minute the first note is hit. From that point on its performance time and I don't think about anything else.

Things that happen during the gig can affect my attitude. Gear issues, physical issues whatever, but for the most part being on stage is my catharsis.

Agreed,drumming is the release/escape from the big bad world. I have had days when everything has gone wrong, including the journey to the gig or practice, setup, everything, but I have played well. Conversely I have had gigs when everything was in place and perfectly prepared, I was feeling good and well practiced, and I have played badly. Who can tell?

Every so often, I'll have to play an entire show for 3 people or what have you. That's when I have the hardest time really putting in my all... When there's nobody there to listen. I try not to let my day get in the way of my playing in the evening, and I've been relatively successful.

If one wants to be pro, then one needs to step up and be pro. Which, in and of itself, takes work and practice. Especially if one is having a bad day. Because that's when it matters most!

As far as playing...
Proverbially speaking, if you're is swinging the bat well, then swing for the fence...if you're having trouble seeing the ball, then just make contact. It's ok to make adjustments to your stance as you get more (or less) comfortable at the plate. Watch out for the funny break and swing easy.

A lot of it is in your head.
I was asked to do a session and I was real sick. flu.
I did it. Thought I was horrible.
Listened back a few days later........
and it was fine. In fact pretty good.
Sometimes you can't tell how it sounds behind the kit.
Recordings to listen back to are essential.
Hey!!! I wasn't that bad............
In fact........that was kind of...........good.
Well..........that fill doesn't belong there....oops

Back