Ludwig Classic 8' & 10" toms...

ambientgreg

These new LC maple drums sound pretty good on Youtube, but what I've noticed in the videos that feature 8" or 10" toms,those drums,to me, lack that ballsy Ludwig tone that the 13" & 16" have.Bigger drums will sound bigger, I get that. But it seems like the smaller toms don't even have their own little version of that sound. Is it just me? Can someone who's played or owns these drums in the 8x8, 8x10 version correct me here?

I have never heard an 8" tom remotely sound "ballsy". There isn't enough mass in a drum that size to sound big. I own Classic Maples but not in toms that small...don't want 'em nor need them.

I have an 8 inch on my Gretsch Renown kit that I have all but retired for now. Hard to tune and space needed for other things, but in its time with 4 different head combos it never sounded ballsy. I could get a nice hum out of it but not ballsy.

I think the 8" tom is a waste of time, or waste of tom, however you want to look at it, lol. I will say that a 10" is my favorite sized small tom. I use a 10 x 9. The 10 x 7's....IDK, kinda shallow. With a drum that small I want a little depth to it. I think Luds make a 10 x 7 right?

My point is, From what I've heard on Youtube videos, The Ludwig 8" and 10" toms sound weak. Can anyone who owns or plays these sizes of Ludwig Classic Maple drums tell me otherwise?

I have three 8"rack toms but not any made by Ludwig. I do have a 10" x 7" Ludwig Classic Maple tom and it's anything but weak sounding. My 16" floor tom sounds much more ballsy but it's all relative. The proper heads and especially the tuning will give that 10" tom the sound you're looking for. I like 8" toms for accents but it's the least used drum on the kits.

DSC_0552-1.jpg

Dennis

I have three 8"rack toms but not any made by Ludwig. I do have a 10" x 7" Ludwig Classic Maple tom and it's anything but weak sounding.

Thank You! That's all I was looking for. If the 10" sounds good then the 8" should be fine. Someone finally actually answered the question! Thanks all...

These new LC maple drums sound pretty good on Youtube, but what I've noticed in the videos that feature 8" or 10" toms,those drums,to me, lack that ballsy Ludwig tone that the 13" & 16" have.Bigger drums will sound bigger, I get that. But it seems like the smaller toms don't even have their own little version of that sound. Is it just me? Can someone who's played or owns these drums in the 8x8, 8x10 version correct me here?

Can you post a link to the samples that you were viewing? I'm just wondering what the issues might have been, drums, acoustic, tuning, recording, ect..

Dennis

I am with audiotech. I have a 10x7 classic maple and I love it. It doesn't have the depth of a floor Tom of course but it is nice round warm tone like all the others. I often leave out my 12 Tom and pair the 10 with a 14 and/or 15. Great drum without question.

If you think the 8" Ludwig has no guts, then you would hate to hear the 6". It is just a pop and then it is over. I have 6"-18" on my 3ply vintage kit. I dont use the 6" at all hardly, but I do like the 8,10, and 12. The smaller toms are rare on vintage era Ludwig 3plys. They were only made over a 1.5 year span before they went to the 6ply shells.

IMG_2952.jpg

I think the 8" tom is a waste of time, or waste of tom, however you want to look at it, lol.

I don't agree with this at all. Not that I would always use it, but a good 8" tom can go a long way in adding color to your drum kit, especially on songs that would benefit from extended fills, or on fills that start with a flam on the 8". I have a great 8" tom with my kit and would not part with it.

I have owned 3 8" toms and 3 10" toms an 8 and 10 each Ludwig,Eames and Pearl export.

The Luddys were 3 ply concert toms,I had no idea they were so uncommon until I saw csnows post,the were also the same finish as his. They were good sounding drums,but they were finicky to tune,the Eames really good sounding but the 8 is tricky to dial in,maybe it is the 4 lugs that make it tough.The easiest to tune was the export,but all sounded good when dialed in.

IMO the 8 drum needs to be paired with a 10 if you are going for the same sound down a row of toms,but a good 10 will fit in right next to either a 12 13 or 14 when tuned for that purpose,whereas an 8 will be more of an effects or color drum when used with a 12 or larger tom as the next drum in a set up.

I think Classic maples tune high very well as a series and 8 and 10's should sound plenty big with good cut and projection if tuned well, esp if tuned to med or higher.

I don't agree with this at all. Not that I would always use it, but a good 8" tom can go a long way in adding color to your drum kit, especially on songs that would benefit from extended fills, or on fills that start with a flam on the 8". I have a great 8" tom with my kit and would not part with it.

Personally, I prefer my toms to be the same color.

If you think the 8" Ludwig has no guts, then you would hate to hear the 6". It is just a pop and then it is over. I have 6"-18" on my 3ply vintage kit. I dont use the 6" at all hardly, but I do like the 8,10, and 12. The smaller toms are rare on vintage era Ludwig 3plys. They were only made over a 1.5 year span before they went to the 6ply shells.

IMG_2952.jpg

This is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.
The vintage 10" are rare enough, but 6" and 8"...it's like discovering a new mammalian species.

The offset lugs make me think those small toms are converted concert toms. Wonder if that's the case.

Those look really good as a set.

For myself, I've got 6-8-10 roto-toms that do the trick for those smaller sounds. I still like a 10" tom though for a 5 piece.

Back