Bonzo's Birthday Bash

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Anyone else going?

bonzo_01a.jpg

More info: http://www.briantichy.com/bonzo.php

I saw on the prior shows. It was a lot of fun.

Well since I'm from Kentucky and I'd have to drive across the country.... I'll have to pass. But happy birthday Bonzo! And if you go to the Birthday Bash, upload some pics! ;-)

Please let there be a proshot version of this. YouTube, DVD, iTunes... Whatever. I'd love to see this show!

I wish I could go but my cash stretches only so far these days and I'm going to see a show on Saturday. I had tickets to see Mickey Hart a couple weekends ago, but it got cancelled. So everyone who had tickets got an opportunity to buy some cut rate tickets to see Steve Kimock. I think it's July 25 at Saint Rock in Hermosa Beach.

Happy Birthday, Bonzo.

RIP.

Set list:
In the Evening - Brian Tichy
Custard Pie - Fred Coury
The Ocean - Simon Wright
Lemon Song - Kurt Maier
Out on the Titles - Joe Travers
Four Sticks - Glen Sobel
When the Levee Breaks - Bobby Blotzer
Carouselambra - Yael
We're Gonna Groove - Jimmy D'Anda
HeartBreaker - Mark Schulman
Kashmir - Virgil Donati
Dancing Days - Greg Bissonette with Billy Sheehan on Bass
Back Dog - Carmine Appice
Wanton Song - Vinny Appice
D'yer Ma'ker - Seven Antonopoulos
I Can't Quit You Babe - Frankie Bannali
Fool in the Rain - Ray Mayorga
Whole Lotta Love - Matt Sorum with Sebastian Bach on vocals
Dazed on and Confused - Mike Portnoy
Achillies Last Stand - Ray Luzier with Jeff Pilson on bass
All My Love - Steven Adler
Moby Dick - Rikki Rocket plays the into, everyone comes out with assorted percussion, everyone takes a turn at a brief solo, Brian Tichy plays the outro.

House band was: Micheal Devin on bass, Brent Woods guitar, Stephan Leblanc Keys (when needed), Brian Tichy on 2nd guitar, vocals were split were between Keith St; John and Chaz West

1/2 way through the show, Zoe Bonham came out and lead the audience in a sing along "Happy Birthday Bonzo".

The highlights were:

Glen Sobel on "four Sticks" and yes, he did indeed use four drum sticks, and at the end of the song he slipped in a wicker solo under the vamp. His technique has gotten really incredible over the years, and his short solo was sick. And he did the entire song with a huge smile on this face.

Virgil Donanti on Kashmir: At first I thought it was odd he would choose a groove song over something that would allow him to show his chops more, and it was funny watching him hold back. But wow, what a pocket. He groooved so hard. And then, under the ending vamp, he let loose with a barrage of drumming fireworks, all without loosing the pocket. Incredible.

Frankie Bannali on I Can't Quit You Babe: While eveyone was doing their best Bonham impressions, you can tell Bannali really studied Bonham. He doesn't just have the licks down, he has the whole vibe around the licks down. Close your eyes, and you would think it was Bonham himself.

And they guy who really just smoked everyone
Ray Luzier on Achillies Last Stand. Ray just made that song his own. He came out with the perfect combination of feel, vibe, musicality combined with jaw dropping speed and chops, while playing one of the more complex Zepling pieces. While some guys you could tell were having to adjust a bit to the shared drum kit, and having to adjust to the fact there were no rehearsals other than a quick run through the day before, Ray ruled that kit like it was his own, like it was his most comfortable pair of jeans, and he ruled the house band as if he had been playing with them all his life. His performance was THE performance everyone was talking about after the show.

It could have been nice if they'd had different singers. I'm looking forward to the next Bonzo Bash.

Back