Sale price of my Tama kit

Drummertist

Silver Member
I'm thinking of selling my Tama kit in the near future. I'm just having trouble with pricing them.

They were originally priced at around $1,100 with hardware included. Tama Superstar 5 PC birch/basswood kit with Black wrap circa 2004. 22x18 bass, 10x8 Tom, 12x 9 Tom, 14x12 hanging floor Tom and 14x5 snare.

They're in good shape and have no problems. What would you price these at? I was thinking $800.

With the economy the way it is,I think 800.00 is a bit optimistic,most used drums of pro quality go for closer to 60 percent of street price. The supers are an entry/mid level kit,and those usually do not hold value like a top line kit,I think with hardware you could realistically get 600.00 tops. Just my opinion,I will be interested to see what other folks will say.

Due to the economy and their age, I'd say $450 tops with the hardware. For what you're asking people can get a new kit for that price.

I bought a used Pearl EXR kit with snare, four toms and bass drum for $350 at a Sam Ash. They also had a Tama used kit (Superstar, like yours with a 16" floor tom) and without hardware they were asking $329.

Are you upgrading? Why not just keep them? Then you can have a kit for casual gigs and rehearsals, or to leave somewhere, in addition to whatever new you're planning on using.

I think 450 is high end re-sale price. I'd post it for 450 and hope for 400 if there in decent shape. There not the newest SuperStars that are 100% birch shells and a black wrap is a pretty generic finish. Maybe sell just the shells and their mounts and depending how much hardware sell that seperate. Even Cheap Hi-hat and cymbal stands should easily bring 25-35$ each.

The hardware is tamas top of the line pro hardware. Wow...$400 isn't exactly what I was thinking. Maybe price em high and have someone talk it down?

The hardware is tamas top of the line pro hardware. Wow...$400 isn't exactly what I was thinking. Maybe price em high and have someone talk it down?

If it's high quality hardware I'd sell it seperate. I get 20-30 for cheap single braced stuff on CL I'm sure the nice tama ones used would bring much more than that. You can always re-post something at a lower price if it gets no interest on craigslist.

For $800, you can get a similar kit and hardware new. I wouldn't go much higher than half of what you bought it for, regardless of condition.

You'll never get $800 for 'em. The economy is in the toilet.​
Split everything up, and sell it on eBay. That will make you the most money. Otherwise, I'd say $400 is about tops, for a 8 year old kit.​

Good luck selling anything! I had such a hard time selling two ddrum dominion kits I had that were in perfect condition which I could hardly get $300 for. These drums look like I just took them out of the box and it took for ever to get rid of them.

The lugs, hoops, mounts, tuning screws are worth more than the $450 suggested here. In case this is something you have not considered and you are somewhat handy, order a set of high end custom shells from any of the many good builders out there, and use the hardware to assemble a premium custom kit. Sell whats left over to recoup a little bit of cost.

Back