Snare Throw off?

icedgreece

Alright. I'm not sure where to post this so sorry if it's in the wrong section. 2

My drum kit came with a "Black Panther Steel Snare".

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MAPBPST

The snare is 5.5 x 14, just so you know.

The problem is, the Snare Throw off is broken. Being the curious mind I am, I took it apart. I have no idea what it is supposed to look like, so I took some pictures to see what you think.

I could tell some things were out of place (obviously being the washer and the bent screw).

2011-02-22_15-19-17_273.jpg

2011-02-22_15-19-26_789.jpg

2011-02-22_15-19-43_347.jpg

2011-02-22_15-19-55_117.jpg

2011-02-22_15-20-07_711.jpg

I figured the more pictures, the better. So, can I fix this at home or is it more of a "being into the shop" kind of deal? If I can't fix it, how much will it cost to fix it?

Thanks.

My Black Panther had the same problem and it seems to be a common one.
What I did was went to my local drum shop and I had the owner help me order a new one straight from Mapex which is (thus far) working out great.

My Black Panther had the same problem and it seems to be a common one.
What I did was went to my local drum shop and I had the owner help me order a new one straight from Mapex which is (thus far) working out great.

How much did that set you back?

Yeah. The head is beat to shit so I'm going to go into town bring the throw off with me and buy a new head. The snare is also not even so I might a new one as well.

I have a BP snare too with what looks like the same throw. Fingers crossed. :)

Anyway, It looks like it started unscrewing itself slowly, bent and broke off.

Did the screw break or just back itself out, bend and pop out?.

If the screw is not broke, maybe you can just replace it with a stronger screw.

If it broke, looks like a drill out the old screw, tap and replace screw with another (stronger) one.

A bit of work but probably super easy for a pro.

Bring it to a machinist, they will probably be able to fix you up.

Edit: Hey, before it broke (and was working "properly"), was it kinda firm and hard to apply the throw?.

Mine is and thats probably why the screws break. Too much tention on them to engage the snare.

Also probably why they totally re designed the new BP throws...lol.

If anyone knows a way to avoid this problem, I'd sure appreciate the input. :)

Last edited:
I have a BP snare too with what looks like the same throw. Fingers crossed. :)

Anyway, It looks like it started unscrewing itself slowly, bent and broke off.

Did the screw break or just back itself out, bend and pop out?.

If the screw is not broke, maybe you can just replace it with a stronger screw.

If it broke, looks like a drill out the old screw, tap and replace screw with another (stronger) one.

A bit of work but probably super easy for a pro.

Bring it to a machinist, they will probably be able to fix you up.

Edit: Hey, before it broke (and was working "properly"), was it kinda firm and hard to apply the throw?.

Mine is and thats probably why the screws break. Too much tention on them to engage the snare.

Also probably why they totally re designed the new BP throws...lol.

If anyone knows a way to avoid this problem, I'd sure appreciate the input. :)

See, I'm not sure. I got this snare for free like this. I have no idea what it is supposed to look like in there, which part is supposed to be where, etc. If it's the matter of replacing a screw and putting a washer in place, I'll do it, but it seems more complicated than that.

I cant tell what is wrong without hands on but that loose washer floating around in there may be a clue.

See, I'm not sure. I got this snare for free like this. I have no idea what it is supposed to look like in there, which part is supposed to be where, etc. If it's the matter of replacing a screw and putting a washer in place, I'll do it, but it seems more complicated than that.

Looks pretty simple from here, but I'm not there so I cant tell for sure.

Isnt there a hole where the screw went into?.

The hole that it fits into. Are there more than one?.

Just take it into a Machinist or music store.

It looks like a very easy fix to me.

But hey, what do I know?.

None, excluding the ones that actually mount it into the drum itself.

Yeah, I will. I don't want to even try to fix it if I don't know what I'm doing. But hey, you know more than I do.

Hey guys went to the drum shop today.

Bought a new Evans head for the snare and a new throw off. You know what it cost me? $15.00. 5 for the skin and 10 for the throw off.

The throw off is a pearl, so it has one more screw on top where it mounts (the snare only has two on the bottom), but i just popped that screw out and it sounds like new.

Man, this snare has some nice pop and ring to it. I tighten my snares tighter than most people, just because I love that sound. I'll post a drumming video up if you want later.

Thanks for all the help!

Back