Billie Jean on steroids

Ya, Damien's got chops like Jojo would say "Damien's got chops".Overkill is his kind of his thang.. he goes so way way over the top, its amusing : )

Very very clever, very very boring. The simple playing of the original beat sounded great. The moment he went into "chopsville" all groove stopped. I'd go as far as to say the timing wasn't that great. Uber fast, yes, but not great from a timing pov. Ok, I know he used this track as a vehicle to display his extremely impressive chops, but I would have been much more impressed with him using his huge skills to show groove & fill variations that actually work with the track.

yes, yes. he's got chops a-plenty, but it was kind of painful hearing that classic song and its amazing groove reduced to the status of a metronome.

Ha. For a second I was a grooving with the most groove based hook of 1983......and then...I puked.

Note to self, don't call it a tribute if you're not going to do anything but mutilate the song through shredding everything it stood for.

LOLOL at 17 seconds, is that what it sounds like playing "behind the beat?"

Dam I can only imagine getting around a drumset like that. I don't want to work that hard!

KIS, I hear what you're saying about timing, but I think he may be so in control of the time that he is purposely putting a lag on it in those places. It sounded too in control to me.

LOLOL at 17 seconds, is that what it sounds like playing "behind the beat?"

Dam I can only imagine getting around a drumset like that. I don't want to work that hard!

KIS, I hear what you're saying about timing, but I think he may be so in control of the time that he is purposely putting a lag on it in those places. It sounded too in control to me.
Yes Larry, we'd all like to get around the kit with such ease, but then do something creative with that skill.

Get your message on the deliberate holding back. Maybe it was intentional, but it still sounded like a train crash to me. I'd have been at the bar after 17 seconds.

Not wishing to start an inter ballistic flaming fest, but SP can do all of that & more, but never would.

but SP can do all of that & more, but never would.

Who's SP?

I admire the plain fact that I could never play like that, he did have amazing control. What he chooses to do with that control is up to him, but he does have it.

Ya, Damien's got chops like Jojo would say "Damien's got chops".Overkill is his kind of his thang.. he goes so way way over the top, its amusing : )

Chops yes...but the word that starts with t.... is missing ....forget it i'll leave it alone since he seems quite pleased with himself.

Starting to appreciate the sparkly yellow jacket guy more now Abe :}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyzGeledis0&feature=related

performed from France's l'enfant terrible, Damien Schmitt ( now with John Luc Ponty's band )
Thumbs down from me, too. He can play fast, but he seems to only be doing two things: Playing along with the "groove" of the song in a completely unimaginative, kinda "blah" way, and playing with absolutely no groove, no real feel, not much finesse, etc. in free time kinda randomly over the top of it. The speed doesn't attract me. You have to do something interesting and emotionally resonant with it. It reminds me more of gymnastics--like he's bouncing up and down next to a pommel horse for a moment, then doing some fast flips, spins, etc., then dismounting, bouncing again before the next round, etc.--it has as much musicality to it as that would.

Cute idea to satirise one of the iconic simple drum lines in pop music, but I much preferred Thaard's free jazz version of Seven Nation Army ... now that was fun!

Damien plays a lovely money beat BTW

Back