Returning to drums -when is too old??

Royston

Hi Guys, and Ladies,..
Been reading stuff in here for a short while after thinking of "getting back into" drums after years out. I played as a teenager got married in my twenties and packed it all in here I am at Fifty looking for an interest that will keep my mind and body active, I have no ambitions beyond that, mind you I have several other interests, (motorbikes etc) to keep me otherwise occupied but here is (are) my dilemma's...
After years on bikes and probably too much loud music and stuff I developed hearing damage (tinnitus)several years ago, whilst my hearing is generally ok and I am mainly affected by very high pitch sounds, (wind damage).....I guess i just wondered if anyone else lived with the condition and managed to continue to play...perhaps with the addition of some form of ear protection.....??
My second point (IF) I overcome the first is that I have put myself into a good buying position on two very good, (in fact excellent) kits one is a Pearl export and the other a Mapex M. Both kits are at same price £250 and equal condition, I cant recall the cymbals with the Mapex but they are those the kit was supplied with new so I trust the quality would be ok....??
Anyhow please be gentle with me, but any thoughts would be appreciated.
All the best
R

I can't really answer any of your questions, but I will say that you're never too old.

most pro's have hung up their sticks about age 120 if not before. i can't think of a single drummer that tried playing past that age, if they did they were probably really dusty... i mean rusty......

so you still got atleast another 70 years of playing in you.

Look at my join date, upper right hand corner, and that's when I started again after being off for 32 years. I am 62 now. So if you are younger than me, you are the perfect age.

Retired here. I think I'm at my peek now and I've been playing since 8 yrs old. My touch is light, mature, and musical as never before.

51 here and playing better than when I was younger...at least with more control, maybe less speed but better command of the instrument. I've owned both Pearl Export and Mapex M kits when I got back in about 3 years ago. I liked the M better than the Export but that's just my personal preference.

I also have mild tinnitus. I use ear protection or headphones now with no problem.

I'm over 60 and still enjoy playing. It'll keep you off the street, but maybe not out of the bars lol.

I love this video. It's like someone's kindly old grandpa playing the drums. Now I bet he could really tear it up back in his heyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9vd99hwC0Q&feature=related

I think you're never too old to pick up an instrument. I felt old taking beginner drum lessons in my 20's but it's amazing how fast you can pick things up (or re-learn in your case) when you have the drive.

My only concern if say my father or someone wanted to learn the drums would be to get at least a few lessons in to reinforce proper technique. It's a legitimate concern at my age but when you get older (40+) you gotta be really careful not to strain something, not to patronize, just my 2 cents.

I don't know about the tinnitus thing but I Imagine you can still play with some sort of hearing protection.I think playing again is a great Idea,it will challenge your mind,body and co-ordination,On the two kits,I would get the Mapex pro -m ,I just think they sound better and the hardware is more adjustable,and I see plenty of pro level guys playing out with them and getting a damn good sound out of them.I don't know what cymbals are offered on the Mapex,but at 250.00 for the kit and hardware if you can afford it upgrade your cymbals if you are not happy with them,250.00 is a great deal on that kit if in good condition and is a 4 or 5 piece including a snare.Now pull out your wallet make some room in the basement and start laying it down!

Welcome back brother, I am 54yrs young, i first pick up the sticks at 11yrs played here and there without no traning finally took a few lesson, played in junior high sch, and high sch at 15yrs hook up with a band, i felt i was not that good no focus or obsesson for drums a few bands here and there got serious early 20ts playing clubs was ok not really that good, finally a real job came alone USPS ,got married, had kids and just stop playing just turn my back on this God given gift of Music after 30yr break i decided to reivent my- self a light went on in my head and it sad start playing the drums silly boy, i answer the call and i have brand new love affair with DRUMS, i got the BUG, THE OBSESION, I understand better, more focus (sick control) can't wait to hook with my band brothers. all i am saying is,it is never to late, don't let your age determine what you can or can't do your mind and body will let you know.As far the what kind of Kit, Pure maple or birch will do, have fun, and Again Welcome Back.

Yea...welcome back.

The Mapex gets my vote too. I've been really impressed with the sound of their drums; at nearly every price point.

More importantly, regarding hearing protection, I would encourage you to ALWAYS wear some sort whenever you play. No sense in risking any (further) damage. You only have one set of ears, take care of them. Do a search around here for 'headphones', 'IEMs', 'earplugs', etc. You'll find several recommendations.

I started with sticks at about 12 years old. Self taught using a Gene Krupa instruction book. Played till I was about 22. College, marriage, job, etc. and I sold the kit. Decided to try again about 2 years ago. Been tough getting back into it. Practice time has been hard to find and stamina isn't what it used to be. But I keep trying. What the heck, I'm only 73.

Mate its awesome that your playing again!
Never never too old to learn or pick an instrument back up - everybody knows old guys rock!!
My other obsession besides drums (and high heels) is skiing, and the most perfect skier I've ever had the pleasure to ski with is a guy who took it up when he was 70...

Never owned either one of the kits you mentioned but Mapex seem to be well liked, and the Pearls been around since i started playing... (27ys) so - choice is yours.

Most of all - ENJOY!!!

I started with sticks at about 12 years old. Self taught using a Gene Krupa instruction book. Played till I was about 22. College, marriage, job, etc. and I sold the kit. Decided to try again about 2 years ago. Been tough getting back into it. Practice time has been hard to find and stamina isn't what it used to be. But I keep trying. What the heck, I'm only 73.

Thats awsome ODY. Just keep havin fun. Thats great that you decided to pick the sticks back up.
Were you able to get another kit of your own?.

My drums are willed to my two Grandsons. They will be fighting over the Renowns.

Back