Guitar center has failed me.

Liaztraht

Silver Member
I went to guitar center the other day to buy a new set. The only set close to the sizes I wanted was an OCDP Venice 5 piece, with a 20 inch kick. The drums themselves sound wonderful to me, but the entire experience there was just awful. The guy in the drum department couldn't focus on the customers, or even answer a few simple questions. He had misplaced the tom mounts for the kit, and was about to give me a free set of DW tom mounts to replace them, but instead changed his mind at the last minute and grabbed some Sound Percussion mounts for "Auxiliary percussion" like cow bells, but it can barely hold a cow bell up let alone a 10 or 12 inch tom. He assured me they would hold, and they did for the first day, but the metal already rubbed completely smooth, and now the toms fall straight into my kick.

I have emailed their manager about this, and if nothing is done then I have no choice but to never shop there again until that guy is gone. I have never had such poor service. Everyone there usually helps me right away, and knows what they're talking about. But this guy was an ass.

Now I'm stuck with a kit I like, but no way to set up my toms. :/

Please post some pics of the mounts that he sold you.
Why didn't you go back to the store and exchange the mounts that failed?

I will get some pics in a minute.
I can't just turn around and drive 30 miles every time I have a problem. So I emailed them to see if anything can be done. They were free, so I'm not sure if returning is a possibility.

The drums will hold in place until I hit them, and I have both toms over my kick, so I can't get an angle that will not allow them to slide.
To me the mounts looked like cheap crap. Yet I was fooled into believing other wise.... Probably because it took him three hours to sell me the kit, and I just wanted to get out of there to go eat and play drums.

Attachments

• 20121229_114221.jpg
    20121229_114221.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 520
  • 567128_462766923759912_1821020965_o.jpg
    567128_462766923759912_1821020965_o.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 516
As you stated, those are most surely the wrong type of mount.
The kit is supposed to come with mounts for the toms so they will give you the correct mounts.

As you stated, those are most surely the wrong type of mount.
The kit is supposed to come with mounts for the toms so they will give you the correct mounts.

I sure hope so, I love making funky and "tribal" beats using the toms, and its a little hard with only a floor tom xD

I more or less needed to vent in a place for drummers. but next time I go in to purchase something, I will leave if the same guy is working at that time. Or I might spend three hours getting a cymbal 0_o

I will get some pics in a minute.
I can't just turn around and drive 30 miles every time I have a problem. So I emailed them to see if anything can be done. They were free, so I'm not sure if returning is a possibility.

The mounts weren't free, the correct ones are supposed to come with the kit in the first place.

You should absolutely get the correct, working parts - or comparable parts - when buying a kit. The ones he included were obviously not comparable.

Call the manager of the store and explain things, and if he won't help, send an email to the corporate offices and name names. You're entitled to satisfaction when you buy something from a dealer, especially as OCDP is GC's brand. There's just no excuse for settling for less on this deal.

GO GET 'EM!!!

Bermuda

Still waiting on an email back, if nothing is done, I will call, and if still nothing, I will go to corporate. I didn't pay good money to not play drums. Especially when I traded in a perfectly good drum kit just to have a smaller kick and floor tom.

Is this kit used? You say you just got it, but the heads aren't stock and look pretty worn. Not that you shouldn't get the correct mounts, I'm just curious.

Bermuda

It was a display kit originally, but the shells are still perfect and all. I got a good deal on heads with it, and that was from the first day of playing before the clamps started failing. Aquarian marks easily.

The heads are new, just used by me.

Good news, someone from their facebook page I messaged is looking into it for me.

If you don't get anywhere now then file a complaint with the BBB.

They guys running their page are looking into the store, and getting the OCDP clamps from Orange County. And as for BBB, I need to go there to report my boss xD

More news, manager got back to me, and is going to contact ocdp. And get my clamps, as well as replace the faulty ones.

That is ridiculous. They should have at least given you mounts that were as good of quality or nicer than what you would have gotten. That's just poor service.

Drums look good though. I have the same type, only a four piece in blue. Gotta love the 22" deep kick. They sound awesome.

I am heading there now. They had one ocdp in when I went, yet he said he tried the same mounts on another and they worked. But he is willing to sort it out.

Those mounts were not meant to be used reversed like that. The thicker end should be in the mount and the thinner (9.5mm) to hold a cowbell or something light. They won't have enough gripping power with the L-arm reversed like that. That salesman is a douche trying to pull a fast one. I hope it gets sorted properly 'cause you paid for the proper mounts with the price of the kit.

Nice kit though!

Well they gave me two dw clamps. A single and double tom mount. And a discount on a cymbal

Thanks! Now I have a cheap apx ozone. And the kit is better than expected. I honestly love the sound of basswood

Back