Double Bass Pain

Im no expert, but it sounds like you might be sitting too low on your throne. Are your legs at a 90 degree angle while playing? Too low and youre hurting your knees.

Does sound a bit like a setup issue also could be fatigue, tension in your legs. Try stretching before you play to see if that helps as well. how long have you been playing double bass and what is an "extended period of time"?

What kind of throne do you use? I would get some serious right leg fatigue (i don't play double bass) before i switched to my roc-n-soc throne. I used to use a regular round seat made by taye.

Does sound a bit like a setup issue also could be fatigue, tension in your legs. Try stretching before you play to see if that helps as well. how long have you been playing double bass and what is an "extended period of time"?

I have been playing for about 6 years, but up until I started majoring in music in school, I never really put the time into practicing or learning anything... I was one of those ignorant just-wanna-play-fast-and-heavy kids, so I didn't care much about the leg pain.

I have this endurance warm up where I'll play 16ths at x-metronome setting for 5 minutes, and an extended period of time is usually around 3 to 3 1/2 minutes, that's when it starts to hurt.

I do use a regular round seat by DW, so this could be the problem. I'll have to look into a Roc-n-Soc or something with a back rest.

I use a backrest but only in between songs to me it doesn't feel comfortable when playing. The motorcycle style seat for me is much more comfortable than a round one.

Yup, agreed with the others. Sounds like you're sitting too low. I find that knee angle of about 90 degrees pretty much eliminates knee and back pain.

Back