Was this a decent trade? Just want to double check

dpk204

I saw a used Chad Smith Signature Snare at my local Guitar Center for $129. I've seen this snare sell on eBay for that price but with usually a $20 shipping charge added on. I decided to get rid of my old Pearl Mirror Chrome Steel Shell. I recently upgraded it with brand new Remo heads and a new strainer but, soundwise, the snare just wasn't cutting it anymore.

I also had an old Ibanez GSR200 Bass and a Fender Frontman 25 Amp that I traded in as well. I got $75 for the Bass, $25 for the Amp, and $40 for the Snare. They took 10% off the Chad Smith Snare so I basically ended up getting the Snare with a $23 gift card.

I should note that the Chad Smith snare was flawless and the heads, even though beat, looked alright.

The Ibanez is a basic bass and the Fender Amp was in new condition but was from 2001.

Just want to know if you think It was a fair deal.

Thanks

Nnn...close enough, although I think you could have done a little better. Lots of times you can get people to throw in a drumhead or a couple pairs of sticks. You know, just "extras" that are important to drummers but that aren't worth too much in and of themselves.

A decent trade is a relative term.

Issue one is what use did you have for what you gave up vs. what you gained.
All the monetary value in the world of an item doesn't matter if its not what you need/want, but you gain an item that you do need/want.

Issue two is trading with any store is they can only give you the whole sale value of your items, while selling you the item they give you at the given market selling rate. Trading with a private party is always going to be a better deal from a monetary stand point then any store. The problem is finding a person who has exactly what you want to gain, and is willing to give it up for what you have.

Had you sold the bass, amp and snare on the open market, you might have gotten much more for it, and the bought the snare with some money left over. However, that would cost you time and effort to advertise, dealing with the assorted flaky people whom might say they want your gear but not go through with it, and who knows how long it would take to sell off your items, assuming you did find a buyer at all.

So what ever you "lost" in your trade, you "gained" back because the store was willing to accept the items with minimal hassle, and they had exactly what you wanted.

So how decent of trade was it depends entirely on how you look at it.

Back