Modern Metal songs with the "best" Drums

bluepowder

Ok Ok I know "best" is highly subjective so let's leave that part open-ended.(probably makes it more interesting).

Which metal songs from the last 20 years stand out in your mind in terms of creativity/technique/composition/<insert your own standard>

I'm not a drummer myself but I just love drums and I spend hours listening to drums on records, just trying to get some new material for some critical listening:)

I'll get the list going, these are the ones that stand out in my mind
Bleed - Meshuggah
Laments of an Icarus - Textures
Sol Niger within - Frederik Thorendal
&#8203;Toxic Garbage Island - Gojira
March of the Fire Ants - Mastodon
Elegy - Intronaut
Mirthless Perspectives= Scarve
Master Butcher's apron - Carcass
The mad data race - Spastic Ink
&#8203;closure - Opeth

Cheers

It would take too long for me to decide on specific songs, but my picks would probably be from some of these modern prog-metal bands, in addition to what's already been mentioned:

After the Burial
Animals as Leaders
Born of Osiris
Periphery
Tesseract
Uneven Structure
Veil of Maya
Vildhjarta

Slayer's crossover into death metal with Divine Intervention. Killer drumming and album

I think the Pantera albums also fit into the 20-year cutoff. Some really innovative approaches to groove on those.

I think Slipknot's first and self-titled album also fits the bill as being innovative.

It would take too long for me to decide on specific songs, but my picks would probably be from some of these modern prog-metal bands, in addition to what's already been mentioned:

After the Burial
Animals as Leaders
Born of Osiris
Periphery
Tesseract
Uneven Structure
Veil of Maya
Vildhjarta

Love Animals as Leaders

Slayer's crossover into death metal with Divine Intervention. Killer drumming and album

I think the Pantera albums also fit into the 20-year cutoff. Some really innovative approaches to groove on those.

I think Slipknot's first and self-titled album also fits the bill as being innovative.

Those 3 are great examples...cutoff is not super strict or anything:p...just a number put out there....just wanna hear what people love as drummers

Slipknot's self-titled is such a fabulous album....the intensity and creativity on the drums was very tangible

Atheist and Gorguts deserve a shout out. Their classic albums were ahead of their time and their reunion albums blow other bands out of the water. Voivod too, even tho it is less complex, it serves the music perfectly.

Cult of Luna and Isis are also favorites of mine. The "feel" of the drumming is both beautiful and crushing. Such finesse.

Mastodon is where it's at.

What little I have heard of gojira and born of osiris was very memorable drum-wise.

And I really love vildhjarta, but I think that thall the real awesomeness there is with the guitars. The drums are very well done and tasteful but thall are just serving the strings where thall the real rhythm is at. Thallso Masstaden has the best production that I've heard in recent memory with just the tightest, most punishing low-end and probably my favorite guitar sound ever. Just listen to Traces (or anything else on thallbum, really,) sit back, and blast a hole through the front of your shorts.

While I'm not really a fan of modern metal, there were two pseudo metal bands that I've seen in the last decade that struck me as having their shit together. First was these guys. The second was "Form of Rocket", whose 2003 release "Lumber" was quite possibly the most rocking album I've heard in a long while.

Atheist and Gorguts deserve a shout out. Their classic albums were ahead of their time and their reunion albums blow other bands out of the water. Voivod too, even tho it is less complex, it serves the music perfectly.

Cult of Luna and Isis are also favorites of mine. The "feel" of the drumming is both beautiful and crushing. Such finesse.

Athiest and Gorguts are awesome, I saw Gorguts live a couple of months ago with Carcass....they were amazing live as well

I never got into voivod, perhaps i should give them another listen. I have not really heard much of Cult of Luna or Isis(who i imagine are getting some hatemail right now)

Mastodon is where it's at.

What little I have heard of gojira and born of osiris was very memorable drum-wise.

And I really love vildhjarta, but I think that thall the real awesomeness there is with the guitars. The drums are very well done and tasteful but thall are just serving the strings where thall the real rhythm is at. Thallso Masstaden has the best production that I've heard in recent memory with just the tightest, most punishing low-end and probably my favorite guitar sound ever. Just listen to Traces (or anything else on thallbum, really,) sit back, and blast a hole through the front of your shorts.

Mastodon is easily my favourite metal band right now, I find it hard to dislike anything they do(hunter came close but it was still better than so many other metal releases)...and Brann is a beast....what a guy

I never got into djent much, the preciseness kind of draws away some of the things i like about metal. I do enjoy animals as leaders and chimpspanner and cloudkicker from time to time. If you like vildhjartha you might like skyharbor - it features the previous vocalist of vildhjartha and the guitars/programming is done by a friend. Great band!

While I'm not really a fan of modern metal, there were two pseudo metal bands that I've seen in the last decade that struck me as having their shit together. First was these guys. The second was "Form of Rocket", whose 2003 release "Lumber" was quite possibly the most rocking album I've heard in a long while.
very interesting bands, checking them out now thanks!!

Back