The Christmas Quiz :)

On the other hand, I think the picture of the drums should be a little clearer to highlight their USP - i.e. the construction and undrilled shells.

I agree Duncan, I did it with the picture I had saved on my PC, in "real life" a proper designer would have more material to work with, this is just a concept idea.

Haha, great evaluation, & I agree, that's why this ad will remain a humorous response from Henri's fertile mind ;) ;) ;)

As for NAAM, sorry, no way we can afford to drop minimum $30,000 on a one man booth. I wish we could be there, I really do, but maybe next year :(

Damn, I wish I would have noticed it was Henri who posted that ad. I was so caught up in offering my professional critique that I didn't even notice it wasn't you who posted it! :)

Anyway, that ad is obviously complete crap, but I see so many crap ads that I thought it might possibly be real. Oh well. I wish I would have seen your "Urgent advert help please" thread when you originally posted it. Next time you need to create an ad, PM me and I'll help out however I can.

BTW, now that I know that the ad is indeed fake, I suppose that actually is Katy Perry, not just a lookalike. Henri, where did you find that luscious photo?

Wow, I didn't expect such a thourough review of my DIY advert, which initially was created for a bit of a laugh and the artistic POV...also, english is not my mother tongue, which explain the grammar mistakes, lol, but after reading your post Edvia, I can only agree 100% with your comments, as a real advert, it would not work.

Funnily enough, when I uploaded the Katy Perry ad this morning, I thought more about an advert, a proper one, and I thought it would be effective to add a bit of mystery with very little to read, it's based on appearing in a (drum) magazine over 3 pages, all is revealed to the reader on the 3rd page, I thought it could work, what do you think?

This thread as nothing to do with a Christmas quiz anymore, haha... but it's my thread, so the OP won't moan too much :)

Henri, I say you just multiplied your media fees times three (3 pages = 3 times the cost of a single-page ad). While I like having a bit of mystery, I don't think the pay-off is worth it. When I have time I'll mock up a killer single-page ad and post it on here.

...that ad is obviously complete crap.

Thank you Edvia :) :) :)

Henri, where did you find that luscious photo?

As part of my hobbies, I create a lot of CD covers for myself and friends, I have a few artists pictures in the "PNG" format, as there's no background and can be juxtaposed on whatever background you wish.

As an exemple, Grea's living room can suddenly have some guests, Slash and Katy Perry, and Grea has just left some drumsticks on her computer desk :)

Attachments

• Grea's guests.jpg
    Grea's guests.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 117
When I have time I'll mock up a killer single-page ad and post it on here.

Fortunately today has been really slow, so I decided to mock something up. Rather than create an Origin ad or an ad for any particular series of drums, I opted to create a general brand awareness ad for Guru with very minimal copy. It's somewhat of a teaser since I barely show the drums, but more importantly, it's about projecting a certain attitude and showing the end benefit of using the product.

Attachments

• Guru_Ad_1b.jpg
    Guru_Ad_1b.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 134
Another problem I have with the semi-nude girl is.........

What? More than one problem with a semi-nude girl??? Man, there's just no pleasing some people.

There are many examples of when the red pen could be taken to content posted on this forum......Katy Perry with half her kit off, definitely ain't one of 'em!! :)

For the record, I did see the hoop thing, but not sure if anybody caught what I thought was an anomaly. The last paragraph says "shown below", when in fact, it is shown above. Ha!

Henri, I say you just multiplied your media fees times three (3 pages = 3 times the cost of a single-page ad). While I like having a bit of mystery, I don't think the pay-off is worth it. When I have time I'll mock up a killer single-page ad and post it on here.

Yes, it's more costly, I agree, but the black pages with nothing else than the "dreams" and "reality" comments will raise the curiosity, and the reader will definitely want to find out on the third page, it could leave a good print in the reader's mind.

Fortunately today has been really slow, so I decided to mock something up. Rather than create an Origin ad or an ad for any particular series of drums, I opted to create a general brand awareness ad for Guru with very minimal copy. It's somewhat of a teaser since I barely show the drums, but more importantly, it's about projecting a certain attitude and showing the end benefit of using the product.

I like it Edvia, the hilights for me are in bold in your comments :)

My only criticism is that you may turn the page in a magazine without really noticing the ad, but as a poster in a retail music shop, it's much more noticable.

This would be a double page or half a page advert in a magazine?

With all due respect to your creation here Edvia, I shamelessly used you poster and twisted it, the pic you've chosen goes so well with my comment from my latest advert.

Attachments

• Guru advert 4.jpg
    Guru advert 4.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 108
This would be a double page or half a page advert in a magazine?

The way it's laid out would be a spread (double-page) ad. However this is just a concept, and could easily be reconfigured to a single-page ad.

My only criticism is that you may turn the page in a magazine without really noticing the ad, but as a poster in a retail music shop, it's much more noticable.

Actually, I totally disagree (about the magazine part of your comment, not the poster part). 99.9% of the time, drum company ads are just a "beauty shot" of the drums—on a blank background, on a stage, in front of a waterfall, etc. This ad doesn't do that. It's In fact, it barely even shows the drums at all. Compared to every other drum ad you'd see flipping through a magazine, this would totally stand out (especially as a 2-page spread).

With all due respect to your creation here Edvia, I shamelessly used you poster and twisted it, the pic you've chosen goes so well with my comment from my latest advert.

I like this better than your original 3-page version (with the grammar tweaks offered by Oldenuf, of course). However I don't feel it captures the uniqueness of Guru drums. They truly do things differently, yet your version doesn't touch on any of that.

And when you think about it, you don't really need to be that explicit with the "dream/reality" line. Because the main image I selected is from the POV of the drummer, you're easily able to put yourself in that situation and imagine what it feels like to have your dreams come true just by looking at the ad—without having to read anything. So instead of telling the reader something he/she already gets, I'd rather use what little copy I want to add to communicate what makes Guru drums so unique.

Though after a little more thought, I decided to incorporate a little bit of your "dreams" sentiment into this latest version. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Guru_Ad_1c.jpg
    Guru_Ad_1c.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Ed, I like the sophistication of your poster but it doesn't capture a major part of Guru's appeal - they are beautiful.

Totally agreed. I just wanted to try something different, a bit more "teaser-ish". Actually, if I didn't know anything about Guru and saw that ad, I might be tempted to check out the site just to see what their drums look like. That's called "reeling 'em in" (official ad speak, of course!)

Haha! If Katy Perry likes it, then that's good enough for me!

Back