New Drum Head Advice,,

piperdoog

Silver Member
Hey gang, was curious if anyone has had good experiences with the coated Aquarian line of drum heads?
I was and still am a Remo guy, however am ready to take the plunge and try the Aquarian line as I have heard so many good things about them. I am a big fan of coated heads but sick and tired of blowing my money on Emperors due to them not lasting. I went the clear Emperor way for a bit and liked the sound, but as time has gone by I am missing that warmth you get from a coated head. As I say I am a huge fan of the coated Emperor over clear Ambass sound but want to give another company a try and am really leaning towards the Aquarian line. I guess their close head would be the Response 2, and they are considerably cheaper than the Remo's.
Anyways thanks guys and let me know thoughts.

Cheers.

Aquarian has the best coating in the industry IMHO. I have never had the coating flake or wear off on any coated Aquarian heads I have owned. I am a big fan of Aquarian heads and their Customer Service is excellent.

I've only used the white Z100 Texture Coated snare heads. I like them a lot. Reduces ring but still allows the drum to have a full bodied sound. I have one on my Supraphonic and really liking it. I've only tried them on metal shelled drums so far. I've put them on some drums, however, that I didn't like as much as other heads, so I think it can vary from drum to drum.

You won't be disappointed with Aquarian Super 2's. They are equal to the Emperors, IMO have more of a modern sound to me emps have more of a vintage sound, very slight difference. I've only had them for about 3 months now and no issues with coating being worn so far. They actually sound nicer now that they are broken in.

For reso's go with Aquarian Classic Clears.

Highly recommended.

ive never used coated aquarians, but i have used some clear in stores and i use a superkick II bass head. I dont think i could brake that head if i tried, and it still sounds fantastic after over 2 years of heavy playing (metal, punk, rock ect, usually around 12-15 hours a week). So for durability aquarian is my go to company. If you end up getting those coated heads, let me know how they sound, looking to replace my emperors as well.

Thanks guys I have the Response 2's (coated) at the store, going to go pick them up and give them a try. The good news is they are considerably cheaper than the Remo's however all the money I have spent on heads over the years trying different combo's etc.. doesn't seem to matter anymore. Fingers crossed theses are the ones.
From taking to a guy at the local big music store chain he was saying they get the least amount of complaints with the Aquarian heads.
I'll get them here in the next couple of days and keep you posted.

Ok lads, I just finished playing for about the last hr breaking in the new Response 2 (coated), I'm very please thus far. I had clear emperors on there and liked it however I'm a true coated head player, I like the warmth and deep tone from a coated head over the attack and wet slap you get from a clear.
These Aquarian response 2 are a thick head, the coating seems to be dam solid, the emperors I used to buy would be breaking or flaking off by now, but the Aquarians don't even look like I've touched them.
Anyways so far I'm a believer, I'm enjoying the dark warm tone I'm getting from these (still have clear ambassadors as a reso, they are still in good shape, no need to swap them out yet) easy to tune up and no need for any moongel, they seem to dampen themselves.
The best part about these response 2 coated heads is for the 3 I bought (12,14, 16) they were $40. Great deal! You could re skin your whole drum set batter and reso for just over $100.
Aquarian are the way to go, I'm sticking with them.
Great company, and the coating STAYS ON!!!!!
Here's a clip I found which compares the coated from the clear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ZWanlxwwU&feature=related

Last edited:
There is a great disturbance in the Force. Search your feelings,You will know it to be true. He's just a boy. The Force is strong with him. Obi-Wan can no longer help him. If he could be turned, he would become a powerful ally. Yes... He would be a great asset. Can it be done? He will join us or die, master. Give in to your anger and hate, and your journey to the dark side will be complete! It is your destiny! Join me, and together, we can rule the galaxy! Come with me. It is the only way...lol

Back