Do they make sticks out of ash?

Seriously? Proper technique dictates getting the stick *off* the drum or cymbal as quickly as possible and letting the struck object do the vibrating, not the stick. "Singing sticks" will get you nothing but a trip to the doctor and some nasty, painful surgery for carpel tunnel syndrome.

A freely resonating stick implicates that the grip has to be extremely loose. Therefore, the more the stick resonates, the looser and the healthier your grip is, and the quicker the stick is able to rebound off the head. Would you mind explaining how a loose grip can cause CTS?

(...) implying that the material the stick is made of contributes greatly to the sound of a drum or cymbal sounds like voodoo to me. Your grip should be loose to keep from transferring vibrations into your wrists and elbows, not to channel some mystical magical force. It just doesn't exist.

If your grip is tight, the stick's vibrations are absorbed into the hand; if it's loose the stick's vibrations dissipate naturally as audible resonance. Try this: grip your sticks hard, then strike them against one another. Then grip them as loosely as possible and repeat the process. You should hear a clear difference in tone and resonance, and you should definitely do the same experiment with your ride cymbal. Another experiment you should do is to buy a pair of maple sticks and see how they sound.

The stick you use has a huge impact on the sounds of your cymbals and rim clicks. There's absolutely no mystery in it. If different striking implement materials didn't have any effect, then how come mallets, rods, brushes, sticks, hands etc. sound totally different?

They make sticks out of hickory, because it is very tough and fairly abundant.

This is why they make sticks out of Hickory:

What is the benefit of Hickory?

The benefits range from very durable wood with a high shatter point, meaning it can take a get deal of abuse before breaking. Hickory sticks tend to chip away as they are played on cymbals or rimshots, as opposed to Maple and Oak, that can merely snap in half when the much lower shatter point is reached. The most important benefit is how Hickory sticks absorb more than twice the about of shock as the other woods. This means more of the vibration that stick occurs due to contact with a rim as in rimshots, or cymbals, is keep within the stick as opposed to transferred on to your hands, wrists, forearms, and elbows.

Thanks to GRUNTERSDAD for the excellent link. I still like the singing stick idea, though! Makes for a very funny visual.

A freely resonating stick implicates that the grip has to be extremely loose. Therefore, the more the stick resonates, the looser and the healthier your grip is, and the quicker the stick is able to rebound off the head. Would you mind explaining how a loose grip can cause CTS?

It can't. But it also can't make the stick "sing." The drum is the instrument, the stick is the tool. Maybe they should start making guitar picks out of the same stuff so they'll sing, too? ;)

The stick you use has a huge impact on the sounds of your cymbals and rim clicks. There's absolutely no mystery in it. If different striking implement materials didn't have any effect, then how come mallets, rods, brushes, sticks, hands etc. sound totally different?

Those items are all different in the *tip* and yes, tips absolutely make all the difference in the world.

I use promark 747s and i know when i play on my practice pad both sticks always make a different sound on it the pair i am currently using one is much brighter than the other and their is always a difference lightly hit your cymbal with 2 "identical" sticks and i promise u there will be a difference

yeah man you can make sticks from ash. its not as heavy as hickory but if you needed to play a coffee shop or record store then ash would be great. its not as durable to drumming like you are carter beauford. if your doing some cool stuff that isnt giving the sticks a work over than they are nice because your ears arent taking a pounding either. tips give out a little bit sooner if you ride the hell out of your bell.... its just a softer wood

cdx

Back