Need help for snare heads

kyle

Its time to replace the heads on my snare and here I am wondering what to get. So time to ask for help. What I'm specifically looking for from my drum heads is for it to give off a nice crack with a bit of ring.

I'd go with an Remo abassador or a vintage ambassador. Lovely heads.

My snare is wooden, it is currently a maple however soon I may be moving to a new cherry snare.

Well yeah.. I'll say the same as the others, that's the perfect answer:

Batter:
1) Remo Ambassador or Evans G1

2) Remo Controlled Sound or Evans Powercenter Reverse Dot

Reso:
Remo Ambassador Snare Side or Evans Hazy 300.

I prefer the Ambs, but the CS or Powercenter will be more durable and will have more attack.

Cheers!

I just realized I will also be replacing the snare wires. Are there any suggestions for those too? I want a poppy sound, but also want to retain as much of the drum tone as possible.

If you're looking for "crack with a bit of ring" you'll most likely want to stick with something simple and one-ply.

For the batter side I'd go with an Evans G1 or G Plus, maybe a coated reverse dot.

For snare side I really like either a Ludwig X-thin or Aquarian Hi-Performance. Both have a nice bright tone and easy snare response.

For snare wires I use Pearl's Ultra Sound "D-Type" wires. 20 strands, which I think strikes a nice balance between wire sound and drum tone, and the center strands are a little tighter than the outside wires for good articulation while keeping fatter tone.

I just realized I will also be replacing the snare wires. Are there any suggestions for those too? I want a poppy sound, but also want to retain as much of the drum tone as possible.

Well, have you made a head choice?.

These wires are very popular for replacements.
I'm not sure why they would be better than any others but they seem to be on most peoples radar.

Even I could use some feedback on these snare wires, Anybody?.

banner_custom_244X315_3460.jpg

Last edited:
Those Puresound wires are very noticeably more present than other standard 20 strand wires. I think they're a heavier gauge carbon steel as opposed to the lighter chrome-plated wires.

I tried the Puresound Custom wires on an impulse buy and was amazed at how much they bring out a crisp wire sound. Expensive, though. I returned them but only because they were for a snare I didn't like and I decided even those wires couldn't save it.

I put the Puresound Blasters on my other 2 snares. They cost about half what the Customs cost and I can't tell the difference to be honest. They rock.

Those Puresound wires are very noticeably more present than other standard 20 strand wires. I think they're a heavier gauge carbon steel as opposed to the lighter chrome-plated wires.

I know all snare wires arent created equal so I'm gonna just give you my snare as an exaple.
I'm wondering if I should change out my wires in hopes of improving an already great sounding snare.
I have a Black Panther 13x6" Maple Cherry snare, basically new with the stocker snare wires.
Do you think the PS wires would make any significant difference?, and just by purely guessing, (stock wires vs PS) what tonal change might I expect?.

I put the Puresound Blasters on my other 2 snares. They cost about half what the Customs cost and I can't tell the difference to be honest. They rock.

The Luddy??

I've never been one to fuss over snare wires.......they are all either stock or bottom shelf, run-of-the-mill Pearl replacements. Am I missing something special Mike? Will my world be tipped upside down by the addition of gucci wires?

Those vintage A remos are great snare heads. Have them on my saturn snare and my brass pearl sensitone. (both over evans hazy 300). Have the pure sound wires on the saturn as well, I love that snare.

It all depends on what style you play, there are different types of head for different styles, and different playing situations. Also, the head needs to be able to "co-operate" with the resonant head and the snare wires. There are many variables in getting a good snare sound.

Yeah, I haven't tried the Customs so can't say anything about them, but I'm very happy with the blasters.

HOWEVER, I have a a friend (middle-aged, very experienced drummer) who bought Blasters and got crazy mad, he hates them. He's on the jazzy, light-touching side of drumming and said that these wires killed his snare and had no sensitivity at all.

So.. IDK, I like them, but your mileage may vary.
I have them on a 14"x5,5" steel snare and play fairly loud pop/rock. That combo gives a kinda Chad Smith sound for me, which is what I was after.

On a deeper, wooden snare I'd go for a 40-strand set of wires and an Emperor on top though. ;)

Cheers

Just my 2 cents from a prior thread...

My experience is with the DW True Tone Snare wires, Tama stock wires (issued on 13" Artwood) and Puresound Custom Pro Steel and Brass wires.

After changing to the HD dry on my DW collectors (14") AND Tama Artwood (13"), the tone was quite dull - but at least the annoying ringing was removed!
The Puresounds were suggested for more sensitivity, and the Brass for more brightness.

The Puresound Steels were placed on the DW Collectors, and the difference was slightly better than the stock issued True Tone wires. In a live situation or gig, maybe not too noticeable. You might notice a slight difference if mic'd or in a studio.
The Puresound BRASS on the 13" Artwood was quite an improvement. It was a bit brighter, more sensitivity.

I'm a fan of the Puresounds, I suppose since a $23 x 2 commitment. They require extensive tightening to get you beyond the "buzzing" point. Along with this, your reso head must also be synchronized and tightened accordingly. But remember, all of this is my own personal preference, and others may find the sweet spot more easily.
Overall, they DW True Tone competes quite well with the Puresounds. The Tama stock wires are in a spare parts bin. Puresounds offer the sensitivity, but with this, requires symphonic agreement between its tension and also the reso head.

Back