DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Silver Member

Default A story of a recent gig.

My mum drops me off at a hall which holds about 200-300 people, all the tickets are sold and it's the biggest gig I've played out of the 4 I've played (so far). I got the gig because my band were part of a project and they had to turn a hall into a venue. Worked great! We mic'd the drums up, the PA everything! Everything was fine. Until another 'drummer' approaches me. "So how long have you played drums for?" "I've been playing for 4 years, nearly 5." And continued to unpack my pedal and cymbals, then he replied "I've been playing 2, but I'm probably far better than you because your bands last drummer sucked!"

Right, now the drummer before me used to take alot of my drumming opportunities in school before I was notified or asked. He's not the best, but he's not the worst. And he's a bit of a wannabe, but he's only been playing 2 years too. So you can't really say anything bad about him.

Anyways, the kids like "I WANT TO PLAY I WANT TO PLAY" and another drummer who I've played with a few times said "Just ignore him, he's abit of a dick. He thinks he's better than everyone" so then I said "Help yourself" then he's like "These cymbals are too tight loosen them" so I went up, loosened them and after one turn... The nut falls off. I said "That's as loose as they go" "Too tight!" he said and I said "Whatever you say..." So he kept shouting on me asking for my splash cymbal "Why?" I asked. "I need it for a song" I said "There's three crashes, there's no point in using my splash if it's not really that loud"
He said "I don't care! I want your splash" so I gave him it after about 20 minutes. Then he goes and complains about my pedal. "It's too loose!" I said "It's fine? I tightened it up" he said "I don't care too loose" then I said "Maybe because it has a cobra coil on it?" and he said "No too loose" and I proved it was fine. Then he said "Ok" and he kept hitting the bass pedal, then suddenly "How much do you want for it!" I said "I'm not selling it. It's my favourite pedal" and he went in a huff. So then his band are soundchecking and he plays a Stereophonics song (can't remember what one) and I couldn't even hear him play the bass drum (especially for a Powerglide Iron Cobra... It should ALWAYS be loud or moderate) and he starts playing the beat and playing his foot on the hi-hat on 1 and 3 and it wasn't even audible, wasn't bad, but the kid was very very very cocky for being 'better than me'. But he said "LETS SEE YOU DO BETTER" when he finished. So after the 2nd last band, which was the other drummers band. Who played really good! It was my band. So I go up, and I didn't play as good as I have, mainly because it's 11 at night, I was tired and had been studying the whole day and we had one practice the whole week. But the kid was giving me an intimidating stare...
I think he told my other band member "he's not a good drummer" and he replied "He's one of the best I've played with". Which was quite funny

But yeah, we got offered a pretty good gig after it. And we got the crowd wild :) and I had people approach me asking me if I was the second coming on Bonzo. Haha.

Cocky kids eh?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:09 PM

Default Re: A story of a recent gig.

More power to you for keeping your cool, if I was supplying gear for a gig and another drummer was that rude and demanding I don't think I'd have been as polite. Unfortunatley you meet these kinds of people every so often when you're gigging, only thing to do is shrug it off and get on with doing what you do best.

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable time playing non-the-less, have you got anything online or recorded?

Hope you're well mate,

Kev
Old 04-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Unfortunately, it won't be the last time you have to deal with a difficult personality in the entertainment business. Ignore the stares the best you can -- never return the favour -- and don't fall for the challenge to show him up or compete with him on stage. Just focus on the job at hand and play your songs the best way you know how. He clearly feels insecure and inadequate, and there's no reason to get involved in that drama with him. That's for him to sort out. Be nice, courteous and professional with him in the future, if not friendly, no matter what he does. Just get about your business and stay focused on your performance.

As for the equipment issues: If he doesn't like your gear, he doesn't have to use it. It's standard practice to bring your own "breakables", i.e. pedals, cymbals and SD - at the very least - to a kit-sharing gig and he should probably get with the program if he's going to be picky about pedal adjustments, etc. You shouldn't have to adjust or switch out your equipment to suit him. Beggars can't be choosers. It is not unreasonable for you to refuse to make adjustments to your pedal, for instance. You're a kind fellow for doing what you did.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Howden View Post
More power to you for keeping your cool, if I was supplying gear for a gig and another drummer was that rude and demanding I don't think I'd have been as polite. Unfortunatley you meet these kinds of people every so often when you're gigging, only thing to do is shrug it off and get on with doing what you do best.

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable time playing non-the-less, have you got anything online or recorded?

Hope you're well mate,

Kev
We have a few demo tapes we've sent off to people for gigs and stuff. But in my other band we have a few unfinished demo's sadly. But the demo tapes for this band were a bit sucky drum wise as it was done on an electric kit, so notes were adding in themselves and notes were skipping etc. etc.

But here's a link to one we have (got a few more, but this is the best haha)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink...12998658761475

and we're far better live. I limited myself on the demo so I didn't show off but Live it's abit more extreme haha.
It was done in one take too, but it wasn't til it was properly mixed the drums sounded abit... Ummm.... Weird haha.

I only let him use my splash. I set all my cymbals up when I played :)
and I have played with people like this before, but this dude was too funny.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Hellwyck

I cannot stand primadonnas, no matter who they are.
If you think you're better than someone, chances are you're not

'tis better to keep silent and be thought of as a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt
Old 04-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomka View Post
Unfortunately, it won't be the last time you have to deal with a difficult personality in the entertainment business. Ignore the stares the best you can -- never return the favour -- and don't fall for the challenge to show him up or compete with him on stage. Just focus on the job at hand and play your songs the best way you know how. He clearly feels insecure and inadequate, and there's no reason to get involved in that drama with him. That's for him to sort out. Be nice, courteous and professional with him in the future, if not friendly, no matter what he does. Just get about your business and stay focused on your performance.

As for the equipment issues: If he doesn't like your gear, he doesn't have to use it. It's standard practice to bring your own "breakables", i.e. pedals, cymbals and SD - at the very least - to a kit-sharing gig and he should probably get with the program if he's going to be picky about pedal adjustments, etc.
Ever since my first gig I've took my pedal and my cymbals usually for personal use. And everyone's usually brought there stuff. Only me and another dude took our stuff this one time. Never brought my snare apart from the next gig. Don't take it because I've not got a case for it yet, but I really like the sound I get off it, it sounds abit Danny Carey-ish and Taylor Hawkin-ish. Which is amazing! Cause they're two of my influences :)

If people say to me they're better than me too I just say "That's good, keep it up"
And if people give me a snare, I just ignore them. I always focus on myself, and my band. And sometimes we even tell some jokes about our friends so we're not boring either. We like to put on a good night aswell as a good show and every gig we've played everyone goes crazy and we've got mosh-pits and stuff and we even got an article written in a local newspaper which was awesome!
Old 04-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalwart_Pandora-Chris View Post
Ever since my first gig I've took my pedal and my cymbals usually for personal use. And everyone's usually brought there stuff. Only me and another dude took our stuff this one time. Never brought my snare apart from the next gig. Don't take it because I've not got a case for it yet, but I really like the sound I get off it, it sounds abit Danny Carey-ish and Taylor Hawkin-ish. Which is amazing! Cause they're two of my influences :)

If people say to me they're better than me too I just say "That's good, keep it up"
And if people give me a snare, I just ignore them. I always focus on myself, and my band. And sometimes we even tell some jokes about our friends so we're not boring either. We like to put on a good night aswell as a good show and every gig we've played everyone goes crazy and we've got mosh-pits and stuff and we even got an article written in a local newspaper which was awesome!
Keep at it. Dealing with jerks is all part of the process.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post
I cannot stand primadonnas, no matter who they are.
If you think you're better than someone, chances are you're not
]
True my friend :) So true.
I've played 4 or 5 gigs so far. And out of them 2 gigs have had "I'm better than you" kids. And they weren't as good as they said they were. Infact, one was awful. Not being big headed. He stopped playing, dropped his sticks, kept going out of time, stopped half way through a song to take his shirt off and then started playing and dropped his stick again.
It was terrible!
Old 04-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Gold Member

This is so similar to what happen to me Sat. night at a gig..there was a drummer from another band that has played at this club..he was quite intoxicated..in between sets he came up to me and ask to sit in on my drums for a song..I of course declined..he went to tell me how much better of a drummer he was then me and how much faster his double pedal play was..my response was "thats great man would love to hear you play sometime". I told my bandmates about it and the next day my guitarist sent me a link of the drummers band's my space page..after listening to a couple songs it became obviuos why my guitarist sent it to me along with a very supportive note about my ability..
Old 04-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

It's a pretty typical story.I remember some guys like this like this when I was 4-5 years into the guitar. They shut up after they heard my playing, though. lol

People that know their shit don't talk like this and they know there's something tom learn from everybody.

Really good musicians are usually very humble and respectful and that attitude is a good part of what makes them the great and ever evolving musicians they are.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:23 PM

I guess dealing with aholes is something I'm gonna have to learn to deal with a little better if I ever find myself gigging.

After about 5 minutes of what you described, and especially when he started in with the splash cymbal, he would've been done. It would have never gotten to the point about the pedal. I would've aggressively, but calmly, sent him on his way and he wouldn't have laid another finger on my gear.

Still sounds like your gig turned out really well, and good job dealing with that jerk.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
It's a pretty typical story.I remember some guys like this like this when I was 4-5 years into the guitar. They shut up after they heard my playing, though. lol

People that know their shit don't talk like this and they know there's something tom learn from everybody.

Really good musicians are usually very humble and respectful and that attitude is a good part of what makes them the great and ever evolving musicians they are.
I do try my best to be calm but it was funny watching this dude. 'Cause he was failing soooo much!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
I guess dealing with aholes is something I'm gonna have to learn to deal with a little better if I ever find myself gigging.

After about 5 minutes of what you described, and especially when he started in with the splash cymbal, he would've been done. It would have never gotten to the point about the pedal. I would've aggressively, but calmly, sent him on his way and he wouldn't have laid another finger on my gear.

Still sounds like your gig turned out really well, and good job dealing with that jerk.
When he offered me money for it I said "No get your own."
I am thinking of getting a speed cobra for practice at some point, but not anytime soon :)
but yeah, the splash cymbal I said "Why do you want it?" "I need it for a song don't worry I won't break it" and I was like "Use one of the 3 crashes set up? One of thems an AAXplosion which sounds like a giant splash, use that?" He was like "No, I don't like big sounding cymbals." The guy was clearly a pussy when he said that and when he said he likes to play gentle. When I went on, I played as I usually did. Make it audible and have as much action as I could while still making sure my technique was good. But the kid really failed xD
Old 04-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by braincramp View Post
This is so similar to what happen to me Sat. night at a gig..there was a drummer from another band that has played at this club..he was quite intoxicated..in between sets he came up to me and ask to sit in on my drums for a song..I of course declined..he went to tell me how much better of a drummer he was then me and how much faster his double pedal play was..my response was "thats great man would love to hear you play sometime". I told my bandmates about it and the next day my guitarist sent me a link of the drummers band's my space page..after listening to a couple songs it became obviuos why my guitarist sent it to me along with a very supportive note about my ability..
Yeah I usually look forward to more kids who say "You suck! I've been playing 2 years! I ROCK!" They play, and it's just a person who is a wannabe drummer who looks up to Travis Barker. I added him on Facebook (I do not know why...) and he likes mainly Lil Wayne, Akon and Eminem. Which shows he's very limited to his music taste aswell as his 'amazing drumming'.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

UPDATE : Thanks for all the feedback guys :)
So I posted on Facebook to my drummer friends how my bass drum burst and I had to replace it with a Coated Ambassador and now it sounds like a jazz kit. So the kid comments "TUNE IT THEN!" I said "It doesn't matter if it's a coated ambassador. If it's low, it still sounds like a jazz kit. High, still sounds like a jazz kit"

The kid fails haha. I bet he's the type of kid who throws a head on and just tunes it randomly. I might just buy a new head tomorrow for an 'easter gift'.
Or a snare bag. I don't know haha.