Issues With Tom Positioning

Sirraf

Hey guys, I am having issues with getting my rack toms in a good position to do any sort of fill. I am a newb and have only been playing for a few weeks. I have a used Pearl Export 5 piece kit. The only way I can get the toms in a semi usable position is if I put them both at nearly a 45* angle towards me, but they face each-other so much that I end up hitting the hoops instead of the head. Should I look at a different mounting system? I do like how DW uses the tom hardware that mounts to cymbal stands. Any help appreciated!

Do you have a pic o the drums it would be helpful in helping you

Unless your bass drum is huge or you are really short, two toms mounted on the bass drum should not be a problem but photos would help.

I totally empathize with your problem.

I have long legs and to get my right leg in the correct position to operate the bass pedal fast and without excessive fatigue I have to sit a bit further back from the bass.

This means that with the ride toms they are too far away when using the conventional bass mount. I was having to reach to hit them.

So I have switched to a rack system that not only lets me move the ride toms way back towards me but also lets me move them to the left so that the left side tom is actually a bit left of center to my seated position. I can hit any cymbal, either tom and the floor tom and not move my hand more than a few inches to do so. No more reaching at all.

There are a lot of great options using Gibraltar mounts including some really innovative mounts that let you double up a cymbal stand. I am sure there are other companies but I am only familiar with Gibraltar.

Attachments

• Pylot Kit Racked.JPG
    Pylot Kit Racked.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 635
The vertical part of the tom arms is at the lowest position! Pull the tom arms several inches up out of the holder on the bass drum. The short little arms between the drum and the tilter should be pointing down, not up. That will allow you to position the drums properly.

Common issue with the Pearl L-style tom arms. As the last poster said, pull the vertical tubes up out of the kick drum and angle the toms more towards you, like this:

Pearl-Drums--Pearl-VBL905-Vision-Birch-Lacquer-Drumset25899-31518.jpg

PEARL-EXX725-C31-2.jpg

yes pull this tom arms up out of the bass drum, rotate them toward one another and do not have toms angled toward each other, but angled out to you the drummer. don't worry right now if its a 45 degree tilt, you will get used to hitting the drums at the right angle eventually and change that.
also, perhaps you need to raise your seat, as the tom level will be higher.

when all else fails? imitate setups of others as a starting point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCAuK0XlhVg

The vertical part of the tom arms is at the lowest position! Pull the tom arms several inches up out of the holder on the bass drum. The short little arms between the drum and the tilter should be pointing down, not up. That will allow you to position the drums properly.

That fixed it. I am an idiot lol.

That fixed it. I am an idiot lol.

No. Not an idiot. Being newer to drums it is much better to ask. I'm sure most people started out that way, be it for 20 minutes or the first few years.

Setting up in a manner that you can't play could lead to giving up, and we would rather see you succeed!

That looks much better.
Play around with it a bit more until it feels just right for you.
It'll make things much easier.

It looks like you have an emad or similar head on the kick. I do suggest removing the pillow and either keeping it wide open or using a small blanket just touching Or lightly tucked into the front head. Or perhaps both. Like so.

Attachments

• 20160407_130229.jpg
    20160407_130229.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 572
It looks like you have an emad or similar head on the kick. I do suggest removing the pillow and either keeping it wide open or using a small blanket just touching Or lightly tucked into the front head. Or perhaps both. Like so.

It does have the emad. What is the reason for removing the pillow?

The emad system and other heads like the powerstroke pro or superkick heads are designed to eleminate the need for additional muffling like pillows.

But it is mearly a suggestion for you to toy around with.

Sometimes pillows help the feel of the kick, sometimes they don't
Since the kit was used, you may not have both rings for it, in which case the pillow can help achieve the potential for that particular head.

It does have the emad. What is the reason for removing the pillow?

Removing the pillow will allow the bass drum to have more resonance. Right now your bass drum probably sounds like a mallet hitting a plastic practice pad. Mostly a "click" sound without much low end boom to accompany it. Without the pillow it will open up the drum to produce the low end tone it is supposed to deliver. Less clicky attack and more low end grunt.

I totally empathize with your problem.

I have long legs and to get my right leg in the correct position to operate the bass pedal fast and without excessive fatigue I have to sit a bit further back from the bass.

This means that with the ride toms they are too far away when using the conventional bass mount. I was having to reach to hit them.

So I have switched to a rack system that not only lets me move the ride toms way back towards me but also lets me move them to the left so that the left side tom is actually a bit left of center to my seated position. I can hit any cymbal, either tom and the floor tom and not move my hand more than a few inches to do so. No more reaching at all.

There are a lot of great options using Gibraltar mounts including some really innovative mounts that let you double up a cymbal stand. I am sure there are other companies but I am only familiar with Gibraltar.

these toms are on the edge of being included in the Tom Angles thread. You should be able to flatten those toms out and still reach them. The vertical tubes should be vertical on the rack and the tilt should be accomplished with the ball joint mount.

Back