keep it simple 10 000 post award :)

Putting up a retrospective for Pol was a different matter. Her contribution to this forum was/is of an utterly distinctive nature that's brought a healthy ray of light to an otherwise bin bashing centric place.

Au contraire, Andrew. I'm a bin basher from way back - now I'm more a bin tapper. It's easier on the ears.

I think The Guru's a good name for you or, if you like "member", then 10k posts surely means you're a Big Member ...

I think The Guru's a good name for you or, if you like "member", then 10k posts surely means you're a Big Member ...
I'm travelling right now, so brief remote login :(

I'm happy with my "title" as is. Dean ( the real Guru) is registered here under Guru as his username. Anything other than "member" as a title is something else to live up to. I have enough difficulty living up to my username as it is ;)

Wow! Ok, erm, genuinely wasn't really expecting this...

I kinda try to warn you the other day, lol. (...but you had to read between the lines)

Thank you Henri for putting this thread up. It's not the thread itself, it's the thought behind it that impresses me most.

You're very welcome Andy :)

Putting up a retrospective for Pol was a different matter. Her contribution to this forum was/is of an utterly distinctive nature that's brought a healthy ray of light to an otherwise bin bashing centric place...

I agree, no one else on this forum manages to pull out posts like Grea does, definitely a "one of a kind", in a very good way :)

Sometimes, I'm left wishing I had all of these resources available to me back in the day, but then, I'm not so sure. Would I have taken the same influences on board? Would I miss out on my own personal voyage of discovery?

I have the exact same feeling... but when I think about it, the "discovery" was a very exciting journey.

As for a title, I don't think so, member is just fine.

... "Charlie Brown" doesn't sounds bad :)

Thanks Henri, for doing this thread. You're good like that lol...
You're welcome Larry, thank you for chiming in, and hopefully I'll meet you when you meet Andy :)

The first bloke I spoke to on this forum...

Ditto for me... :)

After the 4:05 fill and other occasional extravagant flourishes most of us agreed that "keep it simple" doesn't reflect the Andy drum personality...

"SIMPLEX" comes to my mind :)

Thanks for your contributions, Andy! I've always appreciated your comments on my videos in the 'now playing' section, it's nice to know someone is taking an interest. And of course it's been a pleasure to meet you at two London Drum Shows so far! I hope for plenty more of these in the future. Keep up the good work, in all its multifarious incarnations!

Thanks for your contributions, Andy! I've always appreciated your comments on my videos in the 'now playing' section, it's nice to know someone is taking an interest. And of course it's been a pleasure to meet you at two London Drum Shows so far! I hope for plenty more of these in the future. Keep up the good work, in all its multifarious incarnations!

Here's to the next 10000 Andy- shouldn't take too long, after all, you've nothing else going on in your life... ;0)

Congrats on the 10k
It's a nice thing when quality and quantity are found in the same place.

I've been reading the forum for a few months now and I've found Andy's posts to be really informative and interesting. Thinking back, it was probably one of the reasons I ended up signing up on this particular forum, the wealth of good information from people who actually know what they are talking about.

It has also been cool to get to see the amount of work the he and his partner/partners put into developing and manufacturing the Guru drums. The best results are always achieved when one has passion for whatever they are doing. Really nice work!

Oh and mr Andy, it seems a bit odd calling you by your name, since I don't know you or you don't know me, and we have never even communicated through the forums. The internet is a funny thing!

Thanks for everything you do / have done here, I'm sure there are many like me who have never posted before but read up on a lot of threads posted here and value your views on things!

keep it coming

Haha no need to blame anyone - at least yet :)

As someone who has done a bit of woodworking I find the threads about designing and manufacturing the Guru drums really fascinating. You've done really good work on those, they sound really nice on those Youtube clips.

Haha no need to blame anyone - at least yet :)

As someone who has done a bit of woodworking I find the threads about designing and manufacturing the Guru drums really fascinating. You've done really good work on those, they sound really nice on those Youtube clips.
I'm glad you've picked up some useful information. These journeys are long & hard, with just as many down days as good days. It's gutting sometimes to find you've missed something, then having to reset & move in a different direction. Expensive too :(

I can only imagine.
I haven't been doing any of my own designing since school. When I was working at the factory there simply wasn't time to try out anything new. Just bang out the furniture quickly enough and move to the next piece.

The time at school was great as it was possible to spend as long as months on developing a single project, with lots of input from fellow students and teachers. And not having to worry about getting paid.

I raise my hat to you guys, and for anyone for that matter who manages to put time into designing and moving forward while actually making a living at the same time.

I can only imagine.
I haven't been doing any of my own designing since school. When I was working at the factory there simply wasn't time to try out anything new. Just bang out the furniture quickly enough and move to the next piece.

The time at school was great as it was possible to spend as long as months on developing a single project, with lots of input from fellow students and teachers. And not having to worry about getting paid.

I raise my hat to you guys, and for anyone for that matter who manages to put time into designing and moving forward while actually making a living at the same time.
Cheers, but making a living is some way off, if we're lucky. Covering costs is the best we can hope for in the foreseeable future :(

Well you certainly have the product, now all you need is the momentum and some wind under the wings. Of course a little bit of the right place/right time never hurts either..

I wish you guys nothing but best of luck!

Congrats on your 10,000+ posts.
Always nice to read what you have to say about things, and your drum making adventures!

Keep it coming keep it simple, and thanks for putting some good sounds out into the world!

Back