Joe Morris here

Re: JOE MORRIS HERE

Yes Joe, I have a question. Listening to your stuff, I'm really liking the family feel to your cymbal selection. Very distinct voices, but all sitting comfortably together. I use a real oddball selection to achieve the same connection (IMHO). Can you list your pies please Joe?

I use Meinl Cymbals. I have endorsed their cymbals for over 20 years. They are always coming up with cool sounds man.

I switch my cymbals up quite a bit, especially in the last 6 months I have added two more sets of hats. for the most part from left to right I use:

12 or 14 Sound Caster (thin)
14" MB8 Thin
16" Byzance Crash (Med)
16" MB10 Crash thin
20" Ping Ride
15" Sound Caster (Med)
1 set of quick hats 13" main hat
1 set of 8 or 6" genearation x hi hats
1 set of 10 generation x hi hats.

I will switch to some heavier cymbals or china's and such depending on the gig. On tour with Esteban and in the studio this is what I normally play. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the question

Joe

Hi Joe,

How do you like the Mb8 cymbals?

It would be easy for people to assume they arent as good as the Mb10, Soundcaster, Byzance or Mb20 ranges but I have seen that alot of professionals are using them.

Are they brighter? How do they compare to the Mb10s?

Thanks

Sean

I like the 8's although i only use a few of them. I use the 14" crash. Actually, I think they are warm and bright at the same time. (if that makes sense) At least the ones I have are. It's a different tone, but really sweet. You can listen to them and compare on the Meinl web site. They have some pretty nice audio of each cymbal on their site. And if you go check out my interview 10 questions with Joe Morris. You might get a kick out of it.

Hey Joe, always wondered how 'big' a pair of ears one needs as a drummer if one is gigging with a large latin perc ensemble like yourself when you are playing for Estaban. Do you find yourself paring your playing down when playing with congas, timbales, and other assorted percs. I notice Dennis Chamber's playing is distinctly different when he plays with Carlos Santana's pretty large ensemble. Curious to know what you feel?

Is there a different way to mentally approach a gig when there are a lot of other counter/poly rhythms in the band?

GREAT QUESTION: Its funny because Dennis is a good friend of mine and we discussed this topic before. I won't get into some of the specifics of our conversation for obvious reasons. ha!! But for sure you have to tone down your playing a bit. Don't get me wrong you still have to play strong and lay down that groove. The percussion is there for you and you have to support it and vise versa. You may discuss it or over time certain fills are yours and certain fills are theirs. I work with Emilio Santiago for over 20 years so we have a great feel for each other. It get to the point where certain bands will hire us together because of what we bring to their band. Just keep your ears open and don't get in each others way. So yea you have to have EARS when playing with a percussionist. Especially on a busy latin gig where all hell can break loose at any time.

I'd love to know how much a drummer at that level makes per big gig. You don't have to answer that, I don't want to put you on the spot, but I am so curious. I have no idea what top drummers get today. Like I would love to know when on tour are meals included or is that on you? Are there any extras? Free tix to your shows for your guests? Cool perks we might not be aware of?

I understand if you don't answer believe me, but you said it was OK to ask...

I'd love to know how much a drummer at that level makes per big gig. You don't have to answer that, I don't want to put you on the spot, but I am so curious. I have no idea what top drummers get today. Like I would love to know when on tour are meals included or is that on you? Are there any extras? Free tix to your shows for your guests? Cool perks we might not be aware of?

I understand if you don't answer believe me, but you said it was OK to ask...

First of all let me say Larry that I enjoy your posts, and i enjoy your responses to my threads. You have some really good information to share and I appreciate that. The first perk I can think of is getting to play drums for a living. That in itself is still the best so called perk for me. It's just freaking awesome to play for a living. A dream come true. When your on tour you usually have a base salary either per gig or per week. So simply put you either get paid by the gig, or a salary based on a week. No matter how many gigs you do during the week you get the same money. Myself I like to get paid by the gig, but most times unless your a famous drummer they tell you how your getting paid. I can't really discuss the exact amount of money but it can go from $1000 per gig , or $800 per gig, or it can be a weekly salary of say 1,500 a week. The top drummers get more than that I'm sure, plus if your a member of the band or a sideman has tons to do with the money. One other thing you can be sure of is they will try to screw you every step of the way.!! Count on it!! As far as meals and stuff. You get a perdium , hope i spelled that right. So every day no matter what say you would get $50 cash for food or whatever. Travel and hotels are always covered.

My career is really what you would say flexable!! ha!! Lets put it this way, I might play Red Rocks with Esteban to 10 thousand people, or I am at Steve Vai's studio recording one of his artists, or I am at the Conservatory of Recording doing sessions everyday, or I might play a nice 1000 seat theatre with Esteban, or be on TV on HSN with Esteban with my own green room and a limo. Or I might be where I was last week in Cave Creek Arizona playing a biker bar with a Guitar player i just met at the gig and lugging my own gear in 108 degree heat. Yep yep

First of all, I think this topic needs a sticky.

Now to my questions.
1. How did you get started as a professional drummer? Did everything just fall in to place or did you have to take huge risks? I really want to play for a living but I would have to move to a music city for sure.

2. Besides Esteban, who are some other artists/bands that you've played with?

3. How much time do you get to practice while on tour?

Thanks Joe, I'm sure I'll think of more questions in the future.

First of all, I think this topic needs a sticky.

Now to my questions.
1. How did you get started as a professional drummer? Did everything just fall in to place or did you have to take huge risks? I really want to play for a living but I would have to move to a music city for sure.

2. Besides Esteban, who are some other artists/bands that you've played with?

3. How much time do you get to practice while on tour?

Thanks Joe, I'm sure I'll think of more questions in the future.

Wow this could turn into a book so I will try and keep it short to answer your questions. My uncle was a drummer in NY. My mom used to take me to see him when I was young. That's what got me hooked on drums. I started playing at age 4. Started taking lessons at age 5. Did my first money making gig when I was 10 years old. When I got to Jr. High and High school I just killed it. Jazz Band, Concert Band, Orchestra, District band. Yea, I was the man. Then off to college for 4 years and no I didn't major in music. My mom said I had to go to college incase the drumming thing didn't work out I would have a education and a back up plan. So I did it. Never argued with Mom!! HA!! During college of course I played in a very popular band and started gigging. After college I realized I WAS NOT THE MAN. LOL. There were plenty of good drummers out there. So I did what ever I could . I moved to Philly. Long story short for over 10 years I did every freaking gig you could think of. From Chicken wire, to touring in my own car. I was married now with kids on the way. Man I had to gig. I never thought of throwing in the towl. I worked plenty of day jobs and played at night. I really, really busted my butt!!!! I started to get some exposure and endorsments. I met guys like John Bermuda Schwartz who introduced me to tons of other drummers at Namm shows. John was very suportive of me and told other drummers I was a good drummer. I became friends with Dennis Chambers who saw me play once at Namm and we hung out and are still friends to this day. Then I started recording for some people and they really got my name out there. I just kept at it. I still do to this day. I don't really look at it like I took any huge chances, I just paid my dues. I have much more of an appreciation of better gigs after doing not so great gigs. I don't take any of my success for granted. I am very grateful every day and lord knows there are plenty of drummers out there better than I am.

I have been blessed and toured and recorded with plenty of national artists, and done a ton of TV work and film work. I hate to name drop, no really I do. I do have a page here at drummerworld that lists my credits and check out my web site at www.joemorris.net for anything you want to know about me. Especially check out the tips and tricks page there are some good stories and quotes about how a typical day goes for me. I also have a youtube page you can see. Just search joe morris drummer and my channel will pop up. There are a bunch of vids on there.

I would practice as much as possible without wearing my self out for the show. Some days I would practice some days I would lay off. It depends. I will tell you that there was one point that I used to set up a practice pad kit in the bus and practice all the time. These days the only time I have to practice is between sessions. I just recently bought a new stick control book and got a pad from Vic Firth and I am at it again. I'm getting old and slow. ha!!!

Last edited:

Wow Joe thanks for the kind words. It's really cool to be able to have a direct connection (via guys like you, Bermuda, Derek, Bill, Nick, Gavin et al) to the inner workings of the life of a top level musician, especially for the business side of things. There are precious few here who can speak from experience what goes on at the higher echelons. Plus your answers are so forthright, you gotta admire that. Your life sounds freakin awesome!

Let's hear some groupie stories! Ha! Now I'm really putting you on the spot!

Wow Joe thanks for the kind words. It's really cool to be able to have a direct connection (via guys like you, Bermuda, Derek, Bill, Nick, Gavin et al) to the inner workings of the life of a top level musician, especially for the business side of things. There are precious few here who can speak from experience what goes on at the higher echelons. Plus your answers are so forthright, you gotta admire that. Your life sounds freakin awesome!

Let's hear some groupie stories! Ha! Now I'm really putting you on the spot!

NO COMMENT!! I'm really just like the rest of us drummers. Always looking for new music to play, new gigs, trying to feed the family and survive man. Seriously. Any other questions I would be glad to help out . Best of luck

Hey Joe, Miss seeing you around. You'll have to let us know when you're playing another biker bar :)-D) or anywhere else here in Phoenix where I can come see you. Glad to see you here on Drummerworld. I check this site out almost every day. Take care, Stuart

Yea, I have been off the site for a while. Was on the road then actually making my motion picture debut in a new film out next year. LOL, yea IMAGINE THAT, I played a drummer. I am only in the movie for 5 minutes but man it was really a cool experience. I got to hang out with Elliot Gould. Was really awesome. As far as seeing me play around Phoenix, check out my web site on the tour page. I have some up coming dates in town real soon. Here are some pics from the movie set of "The encore of Tony Duran. The one would be with Elliot Gould

Attachments

• ELLIOT-GOULD.jpg
    ELLIOT-GOULD.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,081
Back