Hey Bermuda , did you see this ?

By the way, I had a musician friend of mine tell me that the best sounding concert he ever went to was a Weird Al concert. He said the musicianship was great and the sound quality was awesome. There you go Bermuda, some great feedback from a pretty well respected musician in our parts.

Thanks for the nice words, and after watching our latest live DVD, I'll have to admit it's a pretty great show. Obviously nothing like I hear or see from behind the kit, it's really, really good from the audience. We've definitely made fans out of people who were dragged by someone to a concert, not knowing what to expect.

Bermuda

oohh...fun...

Can anyone say "Wardrobe Malfunction Parody"?

...I might actually watch if that happens!

Doubt it would be approved...

Voted!

Years ago my 4 year old and 9 year old daughters knew exactly who Weird Al was from his parodying the Star Wars song (sorry I can't remember the name.) from Radio Disney and other songs that came on that channel. Hilarious!! Long before that I had a girlfriend who was totally in love with Michael Jackson's music. It pretty much made me wanna vomit, but I was dating her so I had to put up with it. Then he parodied "Beat It" and I thought it was the funniest parody I ever heard of a song.

Oh hey, can we add ZZ Top to that list of over 30? Actually 40 years. Billy, Dusty, and Frank have been together since 1969. (Before that it was Billy Ethridge and Dan Mitchell or Lanier Griggs and Billy Gibbons, but that was only around the Houston, Texas area and before 1969. Their first album only has Billy, Dusty, and Frank.)

The Chili Peppers have some time in too, yes? Hmm, being on the Simpsons or doing the Superbowl halftime gig... Simpsons for the reruns....

Chili Peppers have had a series of guitar players and a few other drummers.

But I'll go with ZZ Top... even though they're hit album status is questionable :O

U2, Rush, ZZ Top. And Weird Al. :)

And R.E.M. changed drummers, and I don't think they had many hit albums at the end.

See, it's hard to find a group that's done what Al & the band have done, and are still doing it!

And R.E.M. changed drummers, and I don't think they had many hit albums at the end.

See, it's hard to find a group that's done what Al & the band have done, and are still doing it!

True. I didn't even know they had switched drummers. Shows how much I know about REM. Ha!

Totally I meant music in general for sure! I cannot think of any other group that has kept the same members, been consistently relevant and had as many hit albums in that span. That is just awesome. I think from 80s to 90s was critical. Most acts could not make the jump. I think the Al TV idea was huge as well.

Dare to be stupid!

A large part of Al's success is that he's always relevant. Really, it's the result of parodying, and writing originals in the styles of, current artists. There's no way he can't be current, and his (and the band's) career just keeps moving forward.

Bermuda

This is completely unrelated, but I just wanted to say that UHF is one of my top 5 favorite movies ever.

Just figured I'd throw that out there.

I recently watched the "Behind the Music;Remaster" on Al.

I knew Bermuda had been Al's drummer since the start of Al's career, but I didn't realize it was also the same exact guitarist and bassist the entire time as well.

A rather refreshing change from the other Behind the Music episodes where band members are fighting over face time and royalties.

That's what I've been saying, same band since the first album (which we recorded 30 years ago! eeek!!)

Bermuda

You certainly need great musicians to master all the styles. It is completely awesome. I quoted a song that was a stylistic tribute to Devo which is one of my favorites and then there is Velvet Elvis in the vein of the Police which is so freaking good. Just a good damn song.

Back