Easy rock tunes?

S

savage8190

So I've been playing less than 2 months, and only had 3 lessons, but my new instructor is confident that I can play in his year end drum bash so I'm going to give it a whirl.

I have to pick 2 songs to learn in about 3 weeks and I'm looking for suggestions. I listen to a lot of rock/alternative so maybe something in that realm.

I can keep a steady beat easy enough. If there was like one fill I could work on it, but nothing crazy PLEASE. :)

Lots of AC/DC.

Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi

Maybe something by the Rolling Stones

I'm with PorkPie on this one. Get yourself a copy of AC/DC Back In Black album and go to town on it. You probably have a copy of it already....doesn't everyone?

Something to remember is you can always simplify the fills.

People sometimes get caught up thinking you have to play it just like the record.
Most bands don't do this so you don't always have to- there will be plenty of time for that once you develop.

Pick any song you like that has a basic 4/4 beat and when it comes to the fills just play quarter notes on the snare or 8th notes on the snare, and then a kick and a crash on the 1, and back to the basic 4/4 beat.

The main thing is to keep time throughout the tune.

AC/DC is a good call.
Come as You Are by Nirvana is a good song for a beginner.
Again, if you are struggling with the fills or the kick placement then just stick to your basic 4/4 and work on adding in the variations over time.

Something to remember is you can always simplify the fills.

People sometimes get caught up thinking you have to play it just like the record.
Most bands don't do this so you don't always have to- there will be plenty of time for that once you develop.

+1 on that advice. To this day, and I've been around a while, I've never been fixated on replicating the original drummer exactly.

+1 on that advice. To this day, and I've been around a while, I've never been fixated on replicating the original drummer exactly.

You'll never be able to sub for Bermuda in Weird Al's band with that attitude.

What makes simple/easy songs cool are the little personalized nuances the drummer does to an otherwise simple beat. Since all easy beats are based on something simple, its the original drummers adds and inflections that make the groove original. This is the grey area of how much reverence is paid to the original, and how much is alloted for your originality.

There will be peeps in the audience who are impressed with a cover drum part being played exactly like the original, but only a small number (1 out of 10,000) of those peeps will actually know the original drum part correctly note for note.

Drummers themselves (usually) don't even remember songs they recorded in the past note for note, and playing live they take the liberty of changing up those nuances night to night keeping it interesting for themselves, and bc they can.

From a beginners standpoint, when covering a simple groove like a 4 on the floor Old Time R&R (which btw the original (recorded version) isn't 4 on the floor), there's room for beginner nuances that won't derail the song.

Hit songs will always have/maintain a cool factor.

No disrespect at all to legend Simon Kirke but anything classic Bad Company. Great songs and grooves.

1. Hall & Oates - You Make my Dreams

A simple beat has never sounded better.

2. Billy Jean - Michael Jackson

Simple and effective money beat.

hmmmm, Doing Bad Company like Mr. Simon Kirke does is not as easy as it appears. Sure one can hit the basic beats, but the subtle parts, the really cool things he does, and the spaces, are not for a new drummer.

Billie Jean...yes! Keep that beat for 4 minutes.
Born on The Bayou - CCR

No disrespect at all to legend Simon Kirke but anything classic Bad Company. Great songs and grooves.

hmmmm, Doing Bad Company like Mr. Simon Kirke does is not as easy as it appears. Sure one can hit the basic beats, but the subtle parts, the really cool things he does, and the spaces, are not for a new drummer.

Billie Jean...yes! Keep that beat for 4 minutes.
Born on The Bayou - CCR

I agree, Captain Kirke in his signature way inverts the groove during set ups (end of phrases) and that's simply not beginner level stuff.

Go classic. kid, you'll thank me later...

I Can't Get No Satisfaction, Rolling Stones
Can't Buy Me Love, Beatles
Pretty Woman, Roy Orbison

I agree, Captain Kirke in his signature way inverts the groove during set ups (end of phrases) and that's simply not beginner level stuff.

In the spirit of this thread, sure, any of these "simple" parts have subtle nuances that add to the vibe, yet in a typical situation, a fledgling drummer can cover the ground in an acceptable manner.

Yet, has anyone tried to argue, in the case of bands like AC/DC or Bad Company, that, "Yeah...they where good, but could have been GREAT with a different drummer..."

Nope.

So, I guess these guys (like Simon Kirke and Phil Rudd) are, in a way, "sneaky" good...

We do a few simple songs in my band. One of them is so simple. It's by Huey Lewis & the News. It's called Bad is Bad. Then we do another super simple song by Bonnie Raitt called Something to Talk About. Easy Peasy. We do a few other simple songs, but they are mostly 2/4 shuffle beats.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Lots here for me to go listen to and decide.

Pick songs that YOU like.

When you love what you are playing, it becomes easier.

Rock/alternative is a big genre. If you list a few bands, we could find a bunch of easy stuff.

While I agree that AC/DC songs sound like a simple 4/4 and can perhaps be played that way too, there are fills and "booby traps" in many of their songs that you don't realise until you start to play them. Three songs that I cut my teeth on (which may be hopelessly outdated) so therefore must be easy ish because I was no great shakes are I'm A Rebel by Accept, Shoot 'Em Down by Twisted Sister, and possibly the best of the bunch Living After Midnight by Judas Priest. And looking back at that list I'm acutely aware that I'm probably three times your age and you're having to Google those titles to even give you half a clue :)

My suggestions:

Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones. The trick is to not overplay There's just that one fill that happens about three times during the song. The rest is just a pretty simple beat.

Shooting Star by Bad Company. A little more involved, but you can probably get it down good enough in three weeks. Have your teacher give you some guidance over any rough spots you may have.

Remember, it's not a competition. My guess is that you'll have a very sympathetic audience. Pick something that's a little bit of a challenge. No one will worry if you miss a note here or there or if something is not exactly like the record. If you make a mistake, just keep going. don't get flustered. Most of all, have fun and smile.

Back