Lars Ulrich

You say that like it's a BAD thing!!! Phil Rudd is one of the most groove oriented drummers EVER!! What would be the downside to playing so well? There are FUNK drummers without so much "pocket" as Rudd has.

I know, I like how he plays behind the beat, too. But, if it wasn't for Lars, I wouldn't know about blast beats, and all that good stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I love Phil/Simon/Chris and AC/DC, but Lars changed the way I drummed forever.

But if it wasn't for Phil I would have never learn how to do the simple grove that he always plays.

Last edited:
hello community im new here and i would like to know which kit does lars used in AND JUSTICE FOR ALL if any of you has any kind of info bout this please let me know tnx

hello community im new here and i would like to know which kit does lars used in AND JUSTICE FOR ALL if any of you has any kind of info bout this please let me know tnx

Tama Granstar II (birch shells)
Drums:
-14x6.5" Bell Brass/14x8" Birch Snare Drum
-Two 24x16" bass drums
-10x10",12x11",14x13",16x15" toms and two 18x16" floor toms

Cymbals: (All Zildjian)
-Two 14" Z Custom 'Dyno Beat' Hi Hats
-17" and 18" A Medium crashes
-16",17" and 18" A Rock crashes
-20" Z Custom China
All cymbals were in 'brilliant' finish

Hardware (all Tama):
- 6x Titan HC104TB Cymbal Boom Stands
- 2x HP45 Pro Beat Pedals
- Titan HS90 Snare Stand
- Titan HT90 Throne
- Lever-Glide HH95NL Hi-Hat
- HH95XH X-Hat
- 2x 65 Multi Clamp

Heads:
Remo clear Pinstripe batter heads on toms and bass drums. Remo 'Ebony' (black) Ambassadors as resonant heads. Snare head was a Remo coated CS with reverse dot and ambassador snare side resonant.

Sticks:
Regal Tip 5B - Lars Ulrich model. Also used grip tape when playing.

Heres the link
http://www.encycmet.com/equipment/larseq.shtml
This is not his famous black and white kit. That was an Artstar II maple shells. This kit was grey with black hardware.
I tried to memorize all of it, but the hardware confuses me -.-

Alright. Lars. Hate him. he reminds me of the drummer who dosen't care about rudiments TECHNIQUE, or staying in the pocket. Lars is horrible. I watched alot of Metallica live and he struggles to hold some sort of tempo. Lars is just one of those drummers that just bangs on drums and dosen't play on them. Lars plays the same old beat, the same old fill and he's about as amusing as watching paint dry. Lars rides on the coat tails of metallica and James Hetfield. in the end lars is one of those drummers undeserving of his title of being a good drummer. Just because he's in a successfull band dosen't make him good.

As many people say, He holds the beat and drives the music and that's his fundamental job. But the thing that gets me about him is the way he doesn't try to put any feeling (sorry for sounding so pretentious) in his playing. For example, His only dynamic is FFF. Listen to nothing else matters and you'll see what i mean.

hello, sorry for butting in.

to cap off my opinion of lars, he ISN'T one of the better drummers, let alone of the metal drummers. but the way he does his stuff on the drums, the way he performs... he defined how metal drummers should drum metal. that's what matters, at least to me - and probably to lars :p

anyway, i'm a newbie here, so please don't wedgie me.

How long can you play ACDC beats in a metal band? ok... seriously, he was an OK thrash drummer in kill em all. Everything after that i cant listen to just because of his drumming. You can say that he fits the band well for what they play and blah blah blah.. I just personally think that he doesnt work well with the music at all from a thrash metal point of view. Hes a bearable ROCK drummer... but he totally sucks at playing thrash metal. If you watch them live on youtube the extra fills he puts in for the show are absolutely terrible and have no place in the actual song. You can even see him miss his hits a few times. In recordings he plays the most boring beats you could imagine. He has absolutely no creativity. The things you guys say here about him creating these "interesting beats" i just dont see. these beats you speak of sound like a little kid who had never even played drums before had come up with them. lars is a hack that got caught up with a bunch of talented indivuals. I believe Lars Ulrich is an embarassment to the thrash metal genre. Go listen to Clemente, Lombardo, Tempesta, Bostaph, Hoglan, and Benante if you want to know what REAL talented thrash drumming is.
\m/ THRASH TILL DETH \m/ "No glam, death to posers!"- Gene Holgan

Last edited:
How long can you play ACDC beats in a metal band? ok... seriously, he was an OK thrash drummer in kill em all. Everything after that i cant listen to just because of his drumming. You can say that he fits the band well for what they play and blah blah blah.. I just personally think that he doesnt work well with the music at all from a thrash metal point of view. Hes a bearable ROCK drummer... but he totally sucks at playing thrash metal. If you watch them live on youtube the extra fills he puts in for the show are absolutely terrible and have no place in the actual song. You can even see him miss his hits a few times. In recordings he plays the most boring beats you could imagine. He has absolutely no creativity. The things you guys say here about him creating these "interesting beats" i cant beleive. these beats you speak sound like a little kid who had never even played drums before had come up with them. I think lars is a hack that got caught up with a bunch of talented indivuals. I beleive Lars Ulrich is an embarassment to the thrash metal community. Go listen to Clemente, lombardo, tempesta, bostaph, hoglan, and benante if you want to know what a real talented thrash drumming is.
\m/ THRASH TILL DETH \m/

Absolutely. I'm tired of listening to people rave about Ulrich. He's probably the most overrated drummer of our time. He lacks creativity, and it's just plain boring for the most part. I didn't mind Kill Em All, but the rest of his work is just...lacking. His live fills are half hearted and messy. Of course letting the music ring out is important, but I think this guy took it way too far (if those were even his intentions to begin with, sounding the way he does.) To sum it up, it just sounds unbelievably half-hearted and boring to me, all in all.

And just because he holds the beat and is a character on stage doesnt make him good AT ALL. In fact, since thats ALL HE CAN DO, it makes him a terrible drummer.

Last edited:
How long can you play ACDC beats in a metal band? ok... seriously, he was an OK thrash drummer in kill em all. Everything after that i cant listen to just because of his drumming. You can say that he fits the band well for what they play and blah blah blah.. I just personally think that he doesnt work well with the music at all from a thrash metal point of view. Hes a bearable ROCK drummer... but he totally sucks at playing thrash metal. If you watch them live on youtube the extra fills he puts in for the show are absolutely terrible and have no place in the actual song. You can even see him miss his hits a few times. In recordings he plays the most boring beats you could imagine. He has absolutely no creativity. The things you guys say here about him creating these "interesting beats" i just dont see. these beats you speak of sound like a little kid who had never even played drums before had come up with them. lars is a hack that got caught up with a bunch of talented indivuals. I believe Lars Ulrich is an embarassment to the thrash metal genre. Go listen to Clemente, Lombardo, Tempesta, Bostaph, Hoglan, and Benante if you want to know what REAL talented thrash drumming is.
\m/ THRASH TILL DETH \m/ "No glam, death to posers!"- Gene Holgan

Yeah so what? Keep your opinions to yourself.

Lars changed the way I played & looked at music.

I don't see you playing in a band as successful as Metallica.
I could, would and should say more because I am tired to death of Lars bashers, but hell, I'm so tired of going off on them.

& just for fun since you added your quote
"Kill all the posers!" - Gary Holt (Exodus)

Absolutely. I'm tired of listening to people rave about Ulrich. He's probably the most overrated drummer of our time. He lacks creativity, and it's just plain boring for the most part. I didn't mind Kill Em All, but the rest of his work is just...lacking. His live fills are half hearted and messy. Of course letting the music ring out is important, but I think this guy took it way too far (if those were even his intentions to begin with, sounding the way he does.) To sum it up, it just sounds unbelievably half-hearted and boring to me, all in all.

Absoluely not. I'm tired of people bashing him. I am so god forsaken tired of being ridiculed for actually liking Lars & Lars being laughed at.
BUT, you both rock because I'm not one of the only few thrashers here =D

Last edited:
He might be the only drummer who's got worse over time instead of better, but I think he's ok. And I really like the shiny cymbals he uses live. :)

And to settle the debate he uses Gretsch iin the studio and Tama live, I was told. Bu he uses really high-pitched cymbals, which I don't like.

He might be the only drummer who's got worse over time instead of better, but I think he's ok. And I really like the shiny cymbals he uses live. :)

And to settle the debate he uses Gretsch iin the studio and Tama live, I was told. Bu he uses really high-pitched cymbals, which I don't like.

He used to used Gretsch Black Beauty for recording along with and old Superstar or Artstar or Granstar and Sabian hi-hat.

Not negative. You don't see people going to the Joey Jordison thread and saying "Lolz he suckzors, what a overrated poopoo head!!!11!!1" do you?

Not true. The discussion board allows both positive and negative, provided both are provided in an intelligent manner leading to a respectful discussion.

Back