Going slow and working on phrasing

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
I absolutely love doing this, in fact, i could do it for hours. Just making the drums speak really turns me on, then you get to speed up and complete them as fills or beats. Anyone share this joy...?

Yeah, I agree. It's the slow tempos that let you explore how the notes link up, what sticking to use, where to accent... You just get a ton more feedback from the instrument.

I absolutely love doing this, in fact, i could do it for hours. Just making the drums speak really turns me on, then you get to speed up and complete them as fills or beats. Anyone share this joy...?
1,000% agree. Actually, I think it's the only way to truly nail a groove and get that timing spot on the money. The slower the better. Exploring the sound potential of each element of the kit is a wonderful thing to do on so many levels. Appreciating when each instrument opens up, chokes out, changes tone, etc is a great learning journey. Glad you get off on this sort of work. It'll place you years ahead of other players who go straight for technique & speed.

I have a confidence problem. and I tense up when playing.As an experiment I have spent the last couple of practice sessions playing every thing at really slow speeds where I can nail it without thinking, and not playing any faster. It has been a blessed relief. I have realy relaxed and got into the groove. Been able to play around with posture and different grips and just had fun larking about.

Normallly my practice time is dedicated to working groves and fills up to the speeds i need to play them at and is quite intense, but I do think this new approach of doing it really slow is getting helping me feel what it is like to play calm and natural and will help me to speed up later

This is what I teach. Beginner to advanced, playing slow tempos always helps. I like 30 BPM.

I have a confidence problem. and I tense up when playing.As an experiment I have spent the last couple of practice sessions playing every thing at really slow speeds where I can nail it without thinking, and not playing any faster. It has been a blessed relief. I have realy relaxed and got into the groove. Been able to play around with posture and different grips and just had fun larking about.

Normallly my practice time is dedicated to working groves and fills up to the speeds i need to play them at and is quite intense, but I do think this new approach of doing it really slow is getting helping me feel what it is like to play calm and natural and will help me to speed up later

I am glad it's working. I've been going on about slow tempos for a long time now. A few months ago one of the busiest professional drummers I know came to me for some lessons. "There's something wrong, something off. I don't know what it is. Can you help?" So I put the metronome on slow and right away I could see he had problems with accuracy. With appropriate, i.e. slow practice, he had this problem fixed.

I just got done doing exactly what you describe. Just working on one thing until it gets propelled into a higher state of execution and tone. It's Zen-like.

dam right its zen, to be honest i feel like a god (of my own creation) , the pathways to the greats are opened, (apart from buddy ritch, that man throws me with every stroke).

Love it love it love it.

Back