Need help with custom drum wrap

ZachTomlinson

Hi guys I have a PDP-EZ kit (sad I know) that just doesn't look that good to me anymore and after seeing a Tama Superstar Hyperdrive yesterday I've decided I want a cool wrap for my kit. I'm trying to get a wrap for it but the main problem is I have no money so I was thinking about doing some kind of custom job like something that looks like the oyster shell design or even just painting over the wrap with some stripes or some kind of Fade. Any help for doing something like this would be useful right now. Thanks!

Hi guys I have a PDP-EZ kit (sad I know) that just doesn't look that good to me anymore and after seeing a Tama Superstar Hyperdrive yesterday I've decided I want a cool wrap for my kit. I'm trying to get a wrap for it but the main problem is I have no money so I was thinking about doing some kind of custom job like something that looks like the oyster shell design or even just painting over the wrap with some stripes or some kind of Fade. Any help for doing something like this would be useful right now. Thanks!

Painting over the wrap I wouldn't reccomend as my FIRST option. What about a sparkle finish? Dick Blick, the art store has a wrap that is cheap and fairly good quality. It's easy to apply, goes right over your wrap, only takes a day or so to seat, and can easily be removed.

Check it out at:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/sparkle-brite-glitter-film

There's also a guy on Ebay that has more colors, though he's a little bit more.

If you're set on paint/custom design, just make sure to use a REALLY good clearcoat. I'm sure you could find some good tuts around the net!

Hey Jessiah,

I looked at the Dick Blick stuff, and it looks pretty damn good for the price! have you used it? What is it made of- Polyvinyl, Polyproplyne,, or what? Will they send a sample (swatch) on request?

You may be onto something, here. Thanks for the post.

Cheers,
C. P.

I'm actually not sure what it's made out of. I'm going to buy a few rolls to cover my set when I get paid tomorrow though! Getting the green!

What area are you from? Blick has tangible (is that the right word?) locations, and there's one in Boston. It's where my girlfriend buys all of her architecture crap! They carry it in stock there, and that's where I felt it, and it's DAMN good quality (considering its 10 bucks a roll)

I doubt they'd send a sample, but I could cut you out a piece and mail it if you can't find one!

Mmmm, green with black hardware...

**Oh, and this totally isn't my idea, I had read it a while back. Maybe on here or ghostnote...**

Nice find! This brings up a point - theres a few companies (most of which are GREAT to deal with) that sell sparkles/glitter wraps etc. for drums, but theres not alot in the way of modern looking wraps. If that even makes sense. Look at the Tama catalog-theres some great looking sparkles in there, but all you can find online is stuff to recreate that "1965" look. I have a set of 1985 6ply Ludwigs I want to wrap, and while Im leaning towards the silver sparkle, possibly with black hardware, I wish there were more options.

Nice find! This brings up a point - theres a few companies (most of which are GREAT to deal with) that sell sparkles/glitter wraps etc. for drums, but theres not alot in the way of modern looking wraps. If that even makes sense. Look at the Tama catalog-theres some great looking sparkles in there, but all you can find online is stuff to recreate that "1965" look. I have a set of 1985 6ply Ludwigs I want to wrap, and while Im leaning towards the silver sparkle, possibly with black hardware, I wish there were more options.

I THINK I know what you mean... The blick stuff has larger flakes, I think you mean something more along the lines of what's on my set now. They are very fine particles that give it a more pearlescent appearance than 'glitter'. Maybe not what you meant...

The Dick Blick stuff is thin and has a peel off adhesive. Since it is thin, you can really see the inconsistencies of the wood if you strip the shell. So it is best to use the Dick Blick stuff over the original finish to get the best results.

Jeff

True, and to push that point even farther the stuff doesn't even stick to wood, so NOT putting it over your existing wrap would probably be a mistake.

Pete, I'll PM you, and let you know when I do order it. Probably within the next week or so :) And don't worry about postage, .44 isn't too much trouble, I probably can find that in the couch cushions!!!

If you want modern-looking wrap, check out the place I got mine from, the designs are crazy cool. The one I ordered is called Seagull, and it is a beauty! I thought it looked good online but in real life it is even more amazing, kind of 3d, it really catches the light. You can find them at drum-wraps.com (but I had to go to lumigraf.ca to find the one i wanted, the girl told me they are available as drum wrap too) Hope this helps!

Hey Jessiah,

I'm doing a restoration too. When you get that wrap, make sure to post a review or something. I'm looking for wraps and this stuff has the lowest cost I've heard of. Thanks.

I recently found a thread on another forum about "Re-Wrapping my 1970's Pearl Fiberglass Kit for $45- PICS!" (google is your friend)

The guy uses a sparkle vinyl upholstery material that is pretty cheap. I couldn't resist throwing some at an 80's era stencil kit. I can't post over there to even say thanks to the guy but, I can show you a pic and let you decide if it's worth 50 bucks....thats material, glue, painters tape and all.

No extra charge for crappy cell phone pics.

Attachments

• oldkit.jpg
    oldkit.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 3,626
  • newkit.jpg
    newkit.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 3,744
  • tomclose.jpg
    tomclose.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 3,886
I recently found a thread on another forum about "Re-Wrapping my 1970's Pearl Fiberglass Kit for $45- PICS!" (google is your friend)

The guy uses a sparkle vinyl upholstery material that is pretty cheap. I couldn't resist throwing some at an 80's era stencil kit. I can't post over there to even say thanks to the guy but, I can show you a pic and let you decide if it's worth 50 bucks....thats material, glue, painters tape and all.

Nice looking stuff! Now, how is it in terms of durability? Will the slightest scratch cut right through it? I'm just asking because other people made it sound that way.

This is NOT the same as the Sparkle Brite or Ebay film. This is fabric-backed vinyl like is used on bar stools and upholstered furniture. It is thick, tough and is shiny.

Here's the link to original post on PDF:

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=242031

and a couple of links for material:
http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/store/home.php?cat=700

http://www.mendels.com/fabrics12.shtml

http://www.fabric.com/home-decor-fabric-vinyl-fabric-sparkle-vinyl.aspx

I found mine semi locally and paid about 11.00 dollars a yard, 2 yards will do an average kit.
These guys made some nice old kits like new again...I just didnt have a nice old kit....

What was the backing material like, how did you make it stick to the drum shell.

Back