EEK - first lesson tomorrow

Good luck. I know exactly how you feel. I'm 35 and started about a month or so ago. Haven't taken any lessons yet, but I know what you're saying... I played guitar back in HS and had PLENTY of bad habits... Still on the fence about lessons.

49 and started two years ago. I switch back and fourth between "I will never be 50 years old and have 49 years of drumming in my bag" and "This is a lot of fun, who knew there was so much cool stuff to learn"

I tried a two teachers before I hit on one that understood where I was coming from. I would come out of the lesson and a 12 year old would follow who is a phenom. Then a 67 year old lady would follow. It takes every kind of people.

I am really happy about my decision to start playing music and I suspect you will be too.

Good luck,

John

49 and started two years ago. I switch back and fourth between "I will never be 50 years old and have 49 years of drumming in my bag" and "This is a lot of fun, who knew there was so much cool stuff to learn"

I tried a two teachers before I hit on one that understood where I was coming from. I would come out of the lesson and a 12 year old would follow who is a phenom. Then a 67 year old lady would follow. It takes every kind of people.

I am really happy about my decision to start playing music and I suspect you will be too.

Good luck,

John

Thanks. I've really been enjoying myself so far. I've always enjoyed teaching myself things, which is why I'm on the fence about lessons... In my experience, once something becomes formal I stop enjoying it. Given my late start, I have no delusions of greatness; it's just a hobby, but as usual, I'm very obsessive about hobbies.

One thing I have discovered about being an adult learner, aka Old Guy is when you take lessons, you saves years of time by being able to focus. As my drum teacher says: It may feel slow now but you will be the bigger picture sooner.

So far, that seams to be true for me.

Back