Carlos Santana meets his homeless drummer..

Nice story.
He's been known to be hard on his drummers... but I love Santana's music and I believe he's a really good human. He gives a lot back to the community, not many in his position do.

Last edited:
Nice story.
He's been known to be hard on his drummers... but I love Santana's music and I believe he's a really good human. He gives a lot back to the community, not many in his position do.

Santana may have been hard on drummers (I do believe he is a good man), but no one even gets close to just being out and out nasty to drummers like Ray Charles. He was the only performer that Ed Shaunessy (sorry for the mispell) ever flat ot refused to work with.

I saw that this morning.I met Carlos years ago in 69,before Santana played Woodstock.It was at the NY state pavilion(seen in the movie"Men in Black").It was 2 bucks,general admission.and there was no seating.

Santana was just killing it,and Michael Shrieve,was playing his Pink Champagne sparkle Ludwigs.Santana actually opened for a band called Pasific Gas and Electric.

The band hung around after the show,and I chatted with Mike,Carlos and Greg Rollie(Journey).Carlos was just a great guy,as was the rest of the guys,and he was really juiced about playing Woodstock.

I had heard he was tough on drummers, and all of his percussionists.It was Latin Rock,and those guys had to lock together like they were one drummer,or it just wouldn't work.I don't think there was any bad blood,as Schrieve still speaks well of him.

Anyway,IMHO,the guy is a class act,and he does spread the wealth around.

Steve B

I saw that this morning.I met Carlos years ago in 69,before Santana played Woodstock.It was at the NY state pavilion(seen in the movie"Men in Black").It was 2 bucks,general admission.and there was no seating.

Santana was just killing it,and Michael Shrieve,was playing his Pink Champagne sparkle Ludwigs.Santana actually opened for a band called Pasific Gas and Electric.

The band hung around after the show,and I chatted with Mike,Carlos and Greg Rollie(Journey).Carlos was just a great guy,as was the rest of the guys,and he was really juiced about playing Woodstock.

I had heard he was tough on drummers, and all of his percussionists.It was Latin Rock,and those guys had to lock together like they were one drummer,or it just wouldn't work.I don't think there was any bad blood,as Schrieve still speaks well of him.

Anyway,IMHO,the guy is a class act,and he does spread the wealth around.

Steve B

Plus 1 for that. I saw him around the same time frame in a club on the Pacific Coast somewhere north of San Diego and had a similar experience and impression both of him and the band. They were having fun, played well together, and just kicked ass. During the breaks they mingled with the crowd and it was very cool. No pretensions at all. And I couldn't agree more that Carlos is a class act today, was then too. People who are musical perfectionists tend to be hard on drummers.

In addition to Ray Charles being a total dick toward his drummers, add Jimmy Smith. These two guys had something wrong with them.

Back