My day with Dave Weckl (large photo warning)

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
Hi all,

I just wanted to share my experiences with you. Yesterday, I travelled to London to attend a Dave Weckl One Day Intensive. It's a full day clinic/lesson with 20 people in the class.

A few of my drumming friends have met Dave before, and after hearing their reports, and reading various other accounts, I wasn't really sure what to expect from the man who has influenced my drumming more than anyone else (with the notable exception of Vinnie).

I have to say, I was an absolute pleasure to meet Dave. He was friendly, welcoming, funny, and a patient teacher. He made time for every question, every photograph/autograph request, and made sure that everybody got detailed feedback and a decent chance to play with him.

The day went from 10:00am to just before 7pm with an hour for lunch. He covered the foundations of what he considered to be the core aspects of drumming. We looked at how he approached setting up the drums, technique in all grip styles, wrist/finger/moeller application, and foot technique.

He then moved on to his approach to soloing and grooving, basically applying exactly what we had just been working on. For me, I didn't learn anything new in the way of techniques, but his application really opened my eyes to a few things.

One thing that really struck me was the manner in which he casually brushed off some elements of drumming that I had really thought were important. For example, I asked him about his approach to latin playing, saying that in a lot of his solos and videos, you can't hear a particular style such as a Mozambique, Songo, or whatever. He just sort of shrugged them off, saying he never really bothered to learn the individual styles, and more just emulated what he listened to.

In another instance, someone was asking him about odd note groupings, like quintuplets and septuplets. Again, Dave shrugged them off, saying he wasn't smart enough, and had never bothered to learn them. It was surprising, yet very endearing, as I had always held him to be a sort of machine. It really showed a human side, and in no way diminished my perception of his playing ability. Instead, it opened my eyes to his whole approach, which was so much more musical then I first thought.

I can't really express what I got from that. If you imagine spending the entire day in a room with one of the best players in the world, whose sole intention is to make you better at the drums... it was pretty much like you'd expect. He didn't play much himself, but the things he did were a delight, and delivered with the ease and mastery you would expect. He exuded confidence, ability, and commanded a natural respect and air of authority.

I would highly recommend anyone to attend a similar such day if they get the opportunity, and I'll happily try and answer any questions anyone might have.

Thanks all.

Here are some photos:

P1030104.JPG

P1030100.JPG

P1030103.JPG

P1030098.JPG

Last edited:
Hmmmm, interesting, this really makes me ask, what is his approach to practicing? Lol. Whatever it is must work hella good!

Wow sounds awesome to have a whole day with him!
How much does it cost?
Did you mainly play on electronic kits? I'm so used to electronic so when I take lessons I really need my teacher to point out bad habits I got from the electronic kit..

Will see him soon at the drumshow!!

He's one of the true masters of the instrument and someone that never ceases to amaze me.

What also amazes me about him is his ego-less approach to drumming and his constant need to learn new things and improve his already amazing ability.

Steve B

Wow, that must have been a great experience. Dave is truly one of the stand out drummers of our time.

That must have been awesome. I'd love to sit down with Dave and play some stuff. I hope this tour is going to stop in Montreal eventually.

That had to have been an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing this. Dave is one of my faves.

Did you get a goodie bag?

Thanks for posting, glad to hear you had a great experience with Dave. He blows my mind watching and listening to him play. Wish I could have attended myself.

that is great to hear. i had heard rumors about Dave being aloof / ego during the 90s...and when i met him / heard him in person for drum fantasy camp [yearly Cleveland thing], every pre-conceived notion was destroyed (in a good way). i started calling him "the drumbassador" after that.

as far as i can tell, i watched Dave deliberately "sandbag" for the opening greet / clinic / solo w/ all the drummers on the first day. no ego...really just played under & let the rest of the guys shine (that year Smith, Erskine, Gavin Harrison, Chris Coleman). then that night w/ Mike Stern, Weckl unleashed hell. just evolved, insane & great. his playing kinda blew me away the most RE the rest of the guys, maybe because i got hip in the early 80s when he was with Camilo, Paquito d'Rivera, Bill Connors, etc.

Very cool. Glad you had a chance to meet one of your idols, MJ. Having had similar opportunities myself recently, I'm sure you found it rewarding and kind of direction-altering. It's funny how a few words from these people who have been so important to us can really have an impact on how we view the instrument and the art form.

Man, this makes me excited to experience his PASIC clinic this year. Sure, it's only a fraction of what this camp provides in terms of Weckl Factor (tm), but the opportunity to see this master of fluidity live is really exciting to me :)

I really like Dave, and he too is my Top 5 drumming/music inspirations ever.

I get Weckl News/updates to my email every so often and saw his current tour lineup for the drumming intensives.. Needless to say, not coming to my coast/area anytime this year :-( I really would like to attend.

Last I read it was like $375 for the full intensive day.

I want that tone he gets from his drums. Totally awesome!

What a great experience! I'd love to meet Dave some day though I would feel totally inadequate! One day hopefully.
Dave always seemed like a great guy to me in the videos and interviews I've seen.

Congratulations for being able to do such a thing. He is a true master of our time and hearing this, along with similar stories from others who have taken advantage of such an opportunity is fabulous to hear. For whatever crazy reason he sometimes gets ridiculed by some drummers about his playing style. I believe it's out of a deeply rooted envy.

Back