Recommend lightweight hardware?

cream

I've got a used DW9000 hi-hat stand and snare stand, a BC-900 boom stand and a P900 pedal. Recently, I've been moving around my a set a bit, and they get pretty hefty, so I'm looking to upgrade into something lighter.

Budget wise, I'd like to save as much as possible, but if the quality is very worth it, I don't mind spending a little. I just want something that won't break (pretty much why I bought those heavy duty things) with good performance, especially concering the hi-hat stand and the bass pedal.

Any recommendation folks? I live in the NYC area if that makes a difference.

Pretty much all I use is Yamaha 600 and 700 series single braced hardware .... cymbal stands, snare stands, and hi-hat ... when I'm not running my hex rack ...

Gibraltar and DW make great lightweight flat-based stuff. I've used them both and like them both. But the funnier thing, the Gibraltar flat-based straight cymbal stands weigh as much as those cheap Sound Percussion double-braced straight cymbal stands you can get for half the price. Go figure.

hmm...guess I'll look into those

also, anyone know of Axis hardware's build quality? Going off by Amazon's shipping weight, they seem to be pretty light, but how sturdy are they?

I've never owned the back-busting double-braced stands, only single-braced. After lugging racks everywhere for a few years I went to single braced stands and never looked back. In fact, I've got a six-piece kit (two racks, two floors) with nine cymbals mounted on three single-braced stands - two Yamahas and my Yamaha rack tom mount on a Tama stand base. It's a quick, light load-in now, and I love it.

I don't think you need super-heavy-duty double-braced stands unless you are doing hundreds of shows a year and have massive amounts of gear suspended from them. But if the extra weight gives you peace of mind, go for it; just also invest in a good hardware case with wheels.

Is that all you have in the way of hardware - a hihat and a boom stand and a snare stand and pedal? How many drums and cymbals do you have?

I prefer double braced but I hang lots of stuff off of them, also I remove the legs and clamp them together. Instead of many lighter stands, I go with fewer heavier ones. But it sounds like you don't have much at all in the first place.

Is that all you have in the way of hardware - a hihat and a boom stand and a snare stand and pedal? How many drums and cymbals do you have?

I prefer double braced but I hang lots of stuff off of them, also I remove the legs and clamp them together. Instead of many lighter stands, I go with fewer heavier ones. But it sounds like you don't have much at all in the first place.

Yeah, I just have a bop set, sabian hi hat and a sabian ride

DW Flat base stands are great. Same tilter as the bigger stands, and they have memory locks.
The FB snare stand works great for the rack tom. The 7000 series snare stand goes lower, so I have one of those for my snare.
The 7000 hat stand is real nice feeling with good action as well.

I use the FB with a 24" ride that I crash a lot in my heavy rock band with no problems.
I've had them about 2 years, and no issues.

Does any on this lightweight hardware come with ratchetless tilters?

I'm about to make the switch but I can't do the gears.

Does anyone know?

The Yamaha single-braced stands are very nice. So is the Gibraltar JZ series. Tama has single-braced stands too. I only own two cymbal stands: two old Tama single-braced stands. I put the ride and small crash on one and the larger crash on the other. Of course, I also have a hi-hat and snare stand, both of which are single braced. I am 54, so I make my hardware case as light as I can. Peace and goodwill.

Gibraltar has the Brake Tilter (very nice), and DW FB's have the standard Gearless Tilter with the cymbal space adjustment.

NO TEETH on either one (yay!)!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm also looking to lighten my hardware bag, and I am in need of a new hi hat stand. I definitely want to go single brace, and I'm looking at the Ludwig 700 series single brace, or the Yamaha 600 series single braced. The Yamaha is a bit more expensive. Experience with these two stands? Thanks!

Thanks dudes, in the end I opted for savings and went with a Dixon's Hi Hat, snare stand, and a Ludwig stand after a store visit. Good enough for me!

Do need a drum throne now, anyone can chime in on that?

Thanks dudes, in the end I opted for savings and went with a Dixon's Hi Hat, snare stand, and a Ludwig stand after a store visit. Good enough for me!

Do need a drum throne now, anyone can chime in on that?

Pearl Roadster is nice, sturdy, real comfortable and easy on the wallet.

The Tama Ergo Rider is a really nice one too. I had a couple of those and I liked them a lot.

The Pearl just goes lower, which works better for one band I'm in where it feels better sitting low.

gibraltar base / roc n' soc seat with the backrest

Back