New find! 80's Wailin Smash video = ultimate epicness :)

I wish I had been old enough to be around the music scene in the 80's. It looked like so much fun. As silly as he looks, he wasn't nearly as bad as some of those guys that were actually playing in popular bands. Shame he never got a gig, he would have fit right in with Winger.

Also, this guy is obviously a genius when it comes to drum rack technology. That cymbal/drum stand is a true work of art. Maybe that was his real calling.

I just couldn't stop watching ;)

You gotta admit, he's pretty fluid and genuinely enjoys what he's doing. Although I think he'd be a distraction to a hair band like Winger. Remember how Ozzy got rid of Carmine? Could be the same thing with Wailin'.

I still want to get a t-shirt though.

I just couldn't stop watching ;)

You gotta admit, he's pretty fluid and genuinely enjoys what he's doing.
I absolutely admire Wailin. Yes, he's several tiles short of a roof, & "deluded" doesn't even enter his ego stroking realm, but he can actually play, & you've got to admire the consistency of his approach over the decades :)

Also, this guy is obviously a genius when it comes to drum rack technology. That cymbal/drum stand is a true work of art. Maybe that was his real calling.
Maybe it was. He certainly "branched out" into that vibe at an early stage.

Let's face it guys, he has something going for him. At the very least, he's memorable, & that's more than you can say about most drummers out there, absolutely including myself!

Does anyone else think - if he actually got a gig, he'd either crap himself, or go so totally over the top he'd get fired after the first show?

As he been in any sort of band, even regionally? I haven't been able to dig up anything. I have to think there's a reason for that.

As he been in any sort of band, even regionally? I haven't been able to dig up anything. I have to think there's a reason for that.
I can think of at least 10 reasons :( If you're a singer hiring musicians, but you want to be the main act? If you're a band of extroverts, how long before there's a fight? The list is endless. The main problem with Wailin is this - he positions himself as a solo act, but outside of ridicule, he hasn't got what it takes. He can play drums, but he's not a great drummer. He sings, but he's far from being a great singer. If you crave individuality, then "fitting in" with a band is a tough ask.

I'm his FB friend. Someone posted a picture of some band from the 80's of which he claimed Wailin' was a member. I didn't really see a resemblance though.

I like the cut of this fellow jib. I also love how he personally replies to all the negative comments he gets on Youtube with the same dry, confident persona he makes his videos with.

Watched the video from the initial post of this thread and accidentally saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSoZUzMJ7DY (I wanted to wash my eyes and ears out with Sriracha Sauce)

Let this be a deterrent for young drummers to never become by middle age, and wake-up call for middle-aged drummers to stop what you're doing and become a rational human being again (if possible).

Ok, Joe has officially Ismore'd this thread. I propose we make that a thing. The first person to outwardly be negative in a thread has Ismore'd it.

If he played a show, maybe him and a guitar/bass, I'd be there. I'd pay $15 dollar cover to go watch him play 80's covers in some dingy LA bar with overpriced beers. Yes, I live in Phoenix but I think he'd go over more in LA. Also I HATE paying covers and overpriced beers but I'd do it for Waylin'.

Anyone who can appreciate camp can appreciate all the wonderfulness that is Wailin' Smash.

Watched the video from the initial post of this thread and accidentally saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSoZUzMJ7DY (I wanted to wash my eyes and ears out with Sriracha Sauce)

Let this be a deterrent for young drummers to never become by middle age, and wake-up call for middle-aged drummers to stop what you're doing and become a rational human being again (if possible).
Oh poopoo to you Joe ;) Without complete head cases like Wailin, life would all be slippers & corduroy by 40. I'm 54 years young, & excusing the complete delusion element of Wailin, there's a bit of pointless rebellion that I absolutely identify with. Hell, if I was sensible, I'd have never taken up drumming again, no Guru Drums business for sure. Yes, I'd be more successful, more wealthy, better adjusted, but oh so friggin boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(disclaimer - I've already shared one bottle of utterly superb Rolly Gassmann pino gris 2008 with my wonderful partner of 30 years - it's our anniversary today :)

Happy anniversary Andy! Us sprats with just a few years under our belts could stand to learn a lot from you types.

I posted on Wailin's FB wall a few years ago about t-shirts but he never replied. I know I'd buy one.

I can think of at least 10 reasons :( If you're a singer hiring musicians, but you want to be the main act? If you're a band of extroverts, how long before there's a fight? The list is endless. The main problem with Wailin is this - he positions himself as a solo act, but outside of ridicule, he hasn't got what it takes. He can play drums, but he's not a great drummer. He sings, but he's far from being a great singer. If you crave individuality, then "fitting in" with a band is a tough ask.

B..b..b..but they say he has a golden voice!

Pfffft, gimme Jeff Indyke any day.

My eyes. Where'd I put that quart of bleach....

Oh poopoo to you Joe ;) Without complete head cases like Wailin, life would all be slippers & corduroy by 40. I'm 54 years young, & excusing the complete delusion element of Wailin, there's a bit of pointless rebellion that I absolutely identify with. Hell, if I was sensible, I'd have never taken up drumming again, no Guru Drums business for sure. Yes, I'd be more successful, more wealthy, better adjusted, but oh so friggin boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(disclaimer - I've already shared one bottle of utterly superb Rolly Gassmann pino gris 2008 with my wonderful partner of 30 years - it's our anniversary today :)

Fair enough I'm backing off as you are right and bring up a good point - nothing wrong with rebellion and I certainly celebrate it and admire everyone who does it, hell I shouldn't be playing and doing what I do at my age, but there are limits, and I guess the extreme delusion grossed me out.

I've worked and played with people who are confident, who have great skills and people who are arrogant with not as much skill. It's easy to figure out which is a turn-off and which is admirable.

Sorry if I was a negative-nancy early on :)

Back