13" Tom As Bass Drum?

A

adamteasdale1407

I was at a Chris Johnson clinic a few weeks ago and looking at his kit (sorry I don't have any pics) it looked like he was using a 13x10" tom mounted on a gajate bracket with a pedal and it seemed he used it as the main kick when he played more drum n bass/jungle beats. It looked like he was using a clear emperor on the batter head and a coated ambassador on the resonant.

Do any other drummers out there use anything similar? I quite like this idea. It's different!

13x10 ... I can't imagine that sounded any good ... AT ALL.

Hmm...you'd be surprised. It was very quiet, sounded nothing like a bass drum. A lot like playing a floor tom with a soft mallet.

Yamaha marketed a "bass drum" a few years ago called the DAXDAD its was 12" in diameter, and 22" deep. Steve Jordan still uses one on his main kit....

Lots of jungle kits have popped up around the net and most people are using 13" - 16" toms as bass drums. Not uncommon at all. Miked up they do sound really good.

Yamaha marketed a "bass drum" a few years ago called the DAXDAD its was 12" in diameter, and 22" deep. Steve Jordan still uses one on his main kit.......

It was only 12" diameter, but it was 22" long - LOL

http://usa.yamaha.com/product_archive/drums/bd12dd/?mode=model

E63A171BE9E64447A8930C0A03011D0D_12001.jpg

13" Tom As Bass Drum? No

But it can be a nice sounding drum you play with your foot.

Designed to be miced (it has one built in), this is a converted 13x11 Pearl rack tom ... the batter head is a Pinstripe
with a light foam mute covering the whole head. Used just acoustically it has a thuddy whump and is very quiet great
for low practice volume ... miced and EQed as you see here it's as loud as you want.

POCOLOCOlittlecrazykit_zpse389586a.jpg

Back