PDP M5 vs. Ludwig Epic

BFDrummer

Blah Blah, you've heard it before, looking for a new kit looking for some peoples opinions and personal experiences, wheter good or bad, both are welcomed.

I have talked to a store that is in Canada which has shown me two kits they think will fit me, the PDP M5 in a 5-piece shell pack for $750

or

Ludwig Epic Funk Kit in a 6-piece shell pack for $899.95

I play mostly Pop/Rock and i like deeper sounds. The key thing as to why i am looking at these kits is that i want a kit under $1000 preferabbly under $900 but am willing to sacrifice if it means better quality. However I have had little luck with my local and further craigslists and ebay, so please i know i should keep looking for a used pro kit and if one appears i will jump on it but until then i am looking for suggestions on kits like these two and thoughts/experiences about these two kits. I do live in Canada and hesitate to buy a kit in the US due to hefty shipping costs.

Thanks!
Brady
Brady

Thanks for the reply max, but to be honest, none of those kits really seem to grab me :( i don't know why but the mapex kits just look gross to me, maybe it's the way the picture was taken, but the colors dont really appeal to me and the toms look odd. The gretsch, i'm sure is a good kit but i don't know why it just didnt jump out at me either... I would love to get a sonor 3007 from ebay for $649.95 but i am unsure of how much the shipping would be.. i guess if it was 200 in shipping it would be around same price as the ludwigs..

I own a Epic kit & love them I strongly suggest you getting them over the M5's IMO. The Epic's are maple & birch shells compared too the shells on the M5's which are either basswood or poplar I do believe. Since you like the deeper sounding kits I suggest the 24" bass-drum setup not the funk set up which is a 22' bass drum.I know they're made in China but the quality is superb considering the price. I own the downbeat set up which has that Mitch Mitchell(Jimi Hendrix),John Densmore(the Doors) vibe.

You won't. be disappointed.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

Bonzo, M5's are actually maple. Probably not top quality maple, but maple nonetheless.

Thanks for the reply max, but to be honest, none of those kits really seem to grab me :( i don't know why but the mapex kits just look gross to me, maybe it's the way the picture was taken, but the colors dont really appeal to me and the toms look odd. The gretsch, i'm sure is a good kit but i don't know why it just didnt jump out at me either... I would love to get a sonor 3007 from ebay for $649.95 but i am unsure of how much the shipping would be.. i guess if it was 200 in shipping it would be around same price as the ludwigs..

Sound > Looks. Trust me, they look better in person and you will be much happier in the long run.

Hmmm, I am thinking that i am going to end up saving and buying a PDP Platinum, I love the finishes and with North American Maple Shells you can't go wrong!!

I will just keep on looking i guess!..I think it must be the drummers curse to never be satisfied until you spend 10 grand :(

Hmmm, I am thinking that i am going to end up saving and buying a PDP Platinum, I love the finishes and with North American Maple Shells you can't go wrong!!

I will just keep on looking i guess!..I think it must be the drummers curse to never be satisfied until you spend 10 grand :(
.....even then! hahahaha

I was going to get the Centennial Ludwigs but with a 20" deep bass drum it was just too deep not that I didn't. like it but I wanted a nice tuck-away gig kit I don't. play arena's LOL.

I would look into the Centennials: north americian maple,sparkle lacquer finishes,20" deep bass drums as I mentioned.

I've seen a kit up close and I must say they're beautiful(edges,finish & lugs) and since you like the deeper sounding kits It may be what you're looking for, I was going too mention them before but thought you had you heart set on between the M5's & Epic's.

Also I never heard a bad thing about the Centennial's Ludwigs which is also something too consider.

Myself i'm saving for either the Keystone series Ludwigs(NA Maple & Oak)Warm & Loud or the Legacy series Ludwigs which are the most beautiful Ludwigs I've ever seen but very pricey.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

.....even then! hahahaha

hahahah very true!! :p

I will be checking them out Bonzo, The only thing i am worried about is getting a 4-piece kit, i have never tried one.. Is it a hard thing to get used to? Would it shorten my fills? i can always buy an individual tom, that is the point behind upgrading :)

None the less my mind is far from made up!! Although i did find a PDP Platinum Kit for around $750 without shipping from USA. which seems like a good deal! it's a 4pc without a snare.

I have the Epic Pro Beat kit (14x24 kick) and love it. Oh yeah, theyre great looking drums too.

I will be checking them out Bonzo, The only thing i am worried about is getting a 4-piece kit, i have never tried one.. Is it a hard thing to get used to? Would it shorten my fills? i can always buy an individual tom, that is the point behind upgrading :)

None the less my mind is far from made up!! Although i did find a PDP Platinum Kit for around $750 without shipping from USA. which seems like a good deal! it's a 4pc without a snare.
Having to scale down from a big kit to a 4 pc. IMO will only improve your skills behind the set. It forces you to an extent, to concentrate more on your groove and meter. Your fills may not have the same distinct voices as with a large multi tom kit, but you will learn to do more with less.

I played giant kits back in the '80s and scaled back to a 1 up 1 or 2 down set up about 10 years ago. Doing this saved my back from lugging a huge kit to gigs, cut my set up / tear down times and better yet, improved my skills.

Playing in a gigging band I love a 4-piece you're ride is a lot easier to access and not having any roadies it's less to put up and a lot of times the stages aren't. that big so that means more room. not only that but everybody can see you better. were musicians you know not jukeboxes LOL and also whenever I do a Rush tune some people think it's cooler because i'm doing Rush on a 4-piece instead of a massive kit, the less is more factor really comes into play.

good luck in whatever you decide,
Bonzolead

Yeah i can see how it would improve my skill, and it seems to be a hit thing now a days :p i probably will jump on making it a 5-piece after i upgrade my cymbals and hardware though..

I found a 3 piece (no snare) PDP Platinum for $699, with aprox. $200 in shipping it's $899.
I also found a 4 piece(no snare) for $749 with $190 shipping, so thats about $950.
Which meens i will have to keep my current Steel Shell snare drum, which i have no problem with i love the thing! also it gives me some money to upgrade my cymbals and i wont need a new kit for a long time(key word, NEED :p )

I think i found a winner, but who knows, i still have to sell my current set still!!

Thanks for your input guys it has helped me greatly!

Brady

PDP Platinum VS Sonor 3007

Now i am torn between the PDP Platinum Series and the Sonor 3007 Series.

I know PDP Platinum is North American Maple and Sonor isn't?(i dont think)

The difference is i get an extra tom with the Sonor, And a better choice in finishes. They are around the same price so thats not the matter! I play Pop/Rock like i stated earlier

Thanks!
Brady

I couldn't tell you if they are Legit or not :( i wondered the same thing when i first came across them!

UPDATE: I have found a 5 piece 2 up 2 down and kick drums (so no snare) Platinum kit for $649 US i think i am going to go for it, i just need someone to buy my kit!!!

Brady

Hey, do you know if that lamusic website is legit? I've never seen it before but the prices seem reasonable.

I bought a Bass drum head from them. No problem, good communication and reasonable shipping time. They have good prices.

Back